Do you back up Photos to iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rob9874, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Rob9874 macrumors 6502

I currently back up my photos and videos to iCloud, but am constantly at my 5GB limit, and don't want to buy more. I've been syncing with iPhoto via PhotoStream, and backing up to my MBP, which works well. Then I can delete from my iPhone. Just wondering how others handle photos/videos with their iCloud space.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If they're getting sent to Photostream and then downloaded to your computer...yeah, I think it's safe to exclude them from the backups.

Just make sure you're launching your photos on the computer from time to time to make sure they're showing up. Since Photostream only holds 1,000 it'd be a shame to figure out some part of this stopped working 2 months before or something.

But as long as you're checking it weekly I see no reason the photos need to ALSO be backed up from the camera roll.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I do not for the same reason. They are backed up on my PC.

4. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Every time I take a photo, it auto uploads to Dropbox. Then when I get close to my limit which is now 5gb, I get on my computer and move them over.

5. jasontitus macrumors newbie

WARNING - Videos are not backup up to Photostream

I just had my iPhone 4s stolen and discovered the hard way that Photostream was not backing up the videos in my Camera Roll, and the wifi backups that seemed to be happening don't seem to actually show up on my computer. Only chance left is that the iCloud backup worked - but of course there is no way to check without buying another 64GB iOS device to restore to.

So, I would be very careful about backing up your iPhone - import your videos manually on a regular basis....

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Sorry you phone got stolen. As you found out Photostream does not handle videos. I'll also add to your comment above to check your photos as well. I find that Photostream is flakey on Windows 7 x64 and I often have to bring my photos over manually.