Do you backup to iCloud or use iTunes backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Jan 23, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

So I'm curious what are the advantages and disadvantages?

If I backup to iCloud and someone connects their phone to my PC or is on my wifi, my photos would get downloaded to their devices? O-o

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

i backup to computer

3. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I use iCLoud for my backups. That way at any time I can restore from a backup and be on my way instead of needing a computer or it. Plus I never have to plug in my phone to my computer, it just backs up when I charge it.

Don't know if I understand your other question.

Why would your photos get downloaded to their phone????

4. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well I'm saying that because in the options for iCloud and photo stream backups it says something along the lines of "automatically downloads your photos to iCloud and sends them across your devices when connected to wifi"

Ive got family members cousins etc that use my wifi but don't want my photos downloaded to their device or is that password required meaning they'd need to be on my iTunes account? Argh confusing

5. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Those of you who backup to icloud. Do you have to pay an annual fee for extra storage since the mac free if 5g? I have way more than 5g and want to back up to icloud, but rather not pay for 30g of storage...

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It doesn't happen automatically, just because they're on your wifi. They'd have to be able to access your iCloud account and photo stream.

7. brholton macrumors member

The only way photos will download to another ios device is if it is logged with your apple id. For example if I have both my iphone and ipad logged in to my apple id a photo taken on one will show up on the other. If my friends come over and are logged into my wifi, it has nothing to do with my icould back up.

Also the the back shouldn't use up close to your 5gb of storage because it is only backing up your photos and settings. I have almost all of my 16gb on my phone used with songs, apps, and pictures. My used icould back up is .6 of the 5.0gb.

8. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I back up my iPad and iPhone and have 2.4 GB left. You can always select what you want to back up and if photos take a lot you can choose not to back them up. Also remember the apps don't need to be backed up they just redownload off the iTunes store only the data is backed up which usually doesn't take too much for games and whatever.

9. elykoj macrumors regular

Confused?

Am I able to backup to both? When I was connected to computer I backed up to the computer but I also back up to iCloud ,.. Is that ok to do as well?:confused:

10. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Ahh I see so what is actually backed up, photos, contacts and notes?

I'd be fine with just those and should be good with the 5GB limit right? Music I do t care to backup as I've got gigs and gigs saved already to external HDD

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

1) iCloud backup

2) Photostream

3) iCloud Contacts/Calendars/Mail

4) Wifi

These are all different things. You seem to think they're all the same, but they're all separate from each other.

Yep, nothing wrong with that. Online happens automatically and then a USB backup must be initiated manually, but I try and do that once a week or so. Just so there's 2 backups.

12. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Both. Backup to iCloud nightly while it's charging, and once a week or so when I sync to my desktop (to swap out music), I'll do a backup too. Figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

13. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

iCloud

My computer isn't always on, so back up automatically over wifi isn't an option for me.

14. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

How about bookmarks guys, are those backed up? Looks like its not a option so assuming no

15. Zcott macrumors 68020

It's an option in iCloud settings.

16. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Im not seeing an option for "bookmarks"?

17. Almy macrumors 6502

Settings, iCloud, bookmarks. It's in the list with everything else.

18. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Your computer: only you have access to it
    iCloud: Apple has all the data you store on your phone

You choose.

19. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Usually computer. But once a month I'll do. The cloud in case of emergebcys

20. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

iCloud.

Once iOS5 & iCloud launched. I cut the cord and never plug my 4S into my notebook.

----------

Depends what you choose. I have everything backed up. Notes..contacts..bookmarks..app data..camera roll.

It does not save your music to the iCloud unless you pay for iTunes Match as well.

I pay for the 25GB just incase I put some things in my iFiles app and want to back it up to iCloud :)

21. Spinning macrumors newbie

This.
    To computer, then I'll back-up with Time Machine weekly too.
    I store some things on drop-box and photobucket - but not everything of mine needs to be in the cloud, IMO.

22. emonty macrumors newbie

pkgbackup, screw itunes and the cloud until it works 100% :p