Do you believe more in these "smart" devices, or in simplicity of use?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by applefan289, Apr 2, 2012.

?

"Dumb" or "smart" devices? Which do you prefer?

1. I prefer simplicity in my products

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. I prefer a plethora of features in my products

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Many things are becoming "smart" these days. Even traditional products like refrigerators and televisions have recently been upgraded to "smart" status.

If you could choose between a modern, but simple design with easy usability, or a "smart" design with more features (but in the end more tedious and less simple), which would you choose?

I prefer simplicity. I think it's great that products are constantly being improved upon, but don't like these "smart" devices. Devices, like phones, tablets, computers, etc. are actually made to have many features. But when it comes to items like TVs and refrigerators, I don't like the idea of "smart".

The reason I created this thread right now is because I was surfing Samsung's website, and noticed that 90% of their LED TVs are now "smart". Just a year or two ago, I was able to choose from "dumb" TVs, which I prefer so I don't have to interact with Samsung's "apps", and other features I don't need that only make usability more difficult. Since I'm used to Apple's world, I don't want to start being forced to buy products with Samsung's "smart" software.

I think it would be great if they could continue to innovate, but also keep things simple.

Call me strange, but I would pay more for a new "dumb" TV just so I don't have to deal with all the "fluff" and tedious features of using a smart TV.

When I say "dumb", I don't mean old or less innovative. I simply mean the simplicity of not having to deal with an overwhelming amount of features.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd like to add that I just bought a new microwave the abundant amount of buttons, menus, and settings is annoying. I prefer my old microwave much more.

Now I gotta read the manual... which is something I never have to do.

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm with you on that. I like my smartphones and tech, but I have no need for my fridge to connect to WiFi.

4. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I don't mind smart devices, as long as I can still get a non-smart device, if I feel like the smartness isn't needed. I think making smart TVs is fine, but not appliances.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Just consider this for a minute, and the possibilities are endless.

It tracks bar-codes and weight, as you use and replace.

It knows what you like, where you shop, and will produce a shopping list when you run short.

Or, it will sent the order to your favourite store, then they will E-mail you when your order is ready for pick-up.

Pass. :p

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

And all this will be available if you live in a select few countries around the world and shop only at massive supermarket chains. So yeah, I'll pass.

7. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

If Apple comes out with a TV, it will most likely also have "smart" features. But if it's between another company's smart TV and an Apple smart TV, I'd most likely go with Apple.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I got a dumb TV, but plan on buying a smart DVD player, which gives me a smart TV w/o the extra price. Might be nice to surf via the TV.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It's nice to have one device which can do a good amount of things, but honestly there's a fine line between usefulness and stuffed with useless crap.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The useless crap has to be looked at, very closely.

Intrusion into everyone's life is on-going, and relentless.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

See, that's all well and good, but lets say you have a "dumb TV". Then you want Netflix and youTube. You go buy an Apple TV, connect it via HDMI to your TV, and boom, you have a smart TV. The only difference is that your "smarts" are external instead of internal.

Do I have a dumb TV with an Apple TV? Yes. Do I wish I had a samsung smart TV instead? Yes. I'd so much rather built in DLNA, YouTube, Netflix, etc.