Do you believe that evil exists in the world?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Aug 29, 2010.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I don't believe there is such thing as "evil". Even when I was religious, I didn't believe in the concept of hell.

Of course I believe in terrible upbringings, selfish greed, and ignorance leading to terrible actions. But I believe even the most horrible people the world has ever seen has a perfectly good explanation behind it. If not, then it's probably due to a mental illness.

I know this might not make a ton of sense, but I just have a hard time believing a innocent baby can grow up to do evil acts without there being some circumstances that lead to that behavior.

I am NOT justifying any behavior or asking for any lenience in punishment for these people. But seeing them as "evil" doesn't help us solve the problems that lead to the things we despise the most.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

There are a lot of people with deep-seated psychological problems that lead to them performing "evil" acts. They may have no regret for what they did and even may get pleasure from it. I guess that is the closest thing to evil I can think of. They may be born this way or formed these problems through experience but maybe someone more adept in the field can expound on that.

PS My cat is evil.

3. Salacion macrumors 6502a

You want an answer? There is none. Just read Meno.

You can look at psychological factors, but then remember, psychology is all theory. Of course we can presume environmental factors influence our morality, but why does a kid growing up in the slums of Earth turn out to be the most virtuous? In the end, with a topic of this nature, you go back and forth and back and forth, with an answer never coming to fruition. Best leave it to philosophers whom end up in insane asylums by the end of their career.

4. 184550 Guest

Which faith did you practice, if you don't mind me asking?

5. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

I was a Catholic (later Lutheran). I decided in the middle of my confirmation classes that it was all crap and when they started saying how all Indians went to hell because they didn't know Jesus.

6. 184550 Guest

Thanks, I was just curious. I was raised Presbyterian and we were taught that Hell was separation from God. Thus, I suppose, one could make the argument Hell is here on Earth.

Just something I throw out when confronted by those crazy religious people on campus. :p

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, it's called greed and selfishness. Whoever said that money is the root of all evil was correct.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Not to be religious but..

The Bible said that first and it didn't say "Money is the root of all evil"
    It said " The LOVE of money is the root of all evil".

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you for the correction. ;)

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Is "the love of money" greed or a strange sexual perversion? (giggidy)

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I believe one can cop out of having to do some critical thinking by using the term "evil" to describe something. So in that sense, yes? :confused::p

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

No. money is a necessary commodity in almost any culture. It has been used for value for many years.

The "love" of money embodies greed,lusts,envy and other material desires that have a tendency to produce selfish thinking and sways a persons ideals adversely which in turn affects the well being of other people.

Bad joo joo..:D

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would then have to disagree that the love of money is the root of all evil. Some people do evil things without material desires. They may even perform these acts in the name of religion and expect to be rewarded in non-material ways. If someone hears a voice in his head that compels him to murder, I really don't see a tie in to a material desire. I can definitely attribute such desires to the root of all suffering or disappointment but not necessarily to what we could define as "evil" (which is "live" backwards).

14. Salacion macrumors 6502a

Yes, refuted theory.

Revised: Women are the root of all evil.

I stick by it.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well I think in this instance. Money. The saying is used as a figure of speech in relation to money more than it actually defines the factual root of evil.

But I accept you're opinion. BTW. You did just imply you thought evil existed right ? ;)

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I would say that money is a motivator for some to do what others would call "evil". It certainly isn't the end all and be all of such activities thought.

17. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, I believe evil exists in this world. A quick look through history at how man is capable of treating fellow humans or animals gives me the proof that evil exists.

19. Salacion macrumors 6502a

It's a rhetorical question, really.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I was thinking the same thing when reading your post, how strange.

Nothing wrong with a little mind expanding philosophy. Especially in the section of the forum tailor made for such a thing.

21. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Those are the worst kind of dumbass questions.

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's a valid question. Many people have different views on life. That's why philosophy exists.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Peas and tomatoes are the root of all evil.

Ketchup and tomato sauces are made up of those tomatoes that repented.

24. Surely Guest

Surely

If you aren't interested, why post at all?:rolleyes:

Now I'm totally not checking out your website.

I don't think that evil, as a force of nature, exists. I just think that people figure out a way to justify all sorts of behavior, no matter how awful it might be.

/still waiting for my fries.

25. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Can anyone please define the term "evil" first? What would constitute an evil person?

I suppose, when many thing the term evil they actually think of sociopaths, people without a conscience. But those people are products of bad parenting and the public school system.

Also, if the love of money is evil, that means that I am evil. I'm not that bad, am I?