Do you believe that one person will make things better?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Bobdude161, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Do you believe your candidate of choice will make Americans better?

Will our careless over-spending cease to exist afterwards?

Will corporate greed finally be suppressed?

Will we start to treat others with respect and have a love for one another?

Will your future president do all the work for you?

You see where I'm going with this. This is my answer. I don't care which guy becomes president. I know that in order to see what I want in government, I have to speak up. One vote at the ballot on Nov. 4 isn't going to change America that drastically. I need to be more involved in politics other than before elections. Even if my candidate wins, it doesn't mean I can go on with my life and forget about our government. We need to keep a constant eye on our government's decisions and frankly a lot of us aren't willing to sacrifice our time and money to do that. I've become complacent and I don't want to be that way anymore. Some of you already may know this, but this is my self-realization. Yeah, I'm kinda slow. ;)

The reply to our American greed is another story. Why is it that our country doesn't save? Is this the american dream: To live for ourselves and spend everything we have and live for today? I don't want to be apart of this bad dream. I'm tired of just living for myself. I think in order for America to see a real change, we all need a shift in thinking, not just a shift in gov't.

What say you?

2. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

No leader has the power to change the country overnight. The key thing they need to do is to facilitate change at an individual level. To allow people to change for the better themselves.

By adjusting the parameters, you can adjust the way people behave and allow them to do things that they couldn't before.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Well said. Explains succintly how FDR took a depressed USA to where he did with what he had.

But I defer to a quote a (wise?) man once said:

"One man can make a difference." -Wilton Knight, Knight Rider #1.

BL.

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm writing in the robots from Batteries Not Included. I believe they have the experience necessary to balance the budget, reign in careless spending and improve the quality of life for all Americans.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Can one man change a nation? no

Can one man inspire a nation to actually want to fix itself? Hell yes.

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Well, we all know one man can make things worse! :eek: :mad:

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

1 man and friends, you think the guy will run the country by himself? it is that person's leadership and selecting the right people to advise him.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

+1

Obama seems to be the kind that would take the lincoln approach (surround yourself of smart people with good ideas for the country regardless of their political views)

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And the only thing I'm concerned about is if someone decides to take the John Wilkes Booth approach.. :(

BL.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

sadly, i dont doubt there will be attempts

If that does happen I can say Ive officially lost faith in humanity as a whole.

11. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

There is one candidate that I believe will be better than the current administration and there is one candidate that I believe will be much worse than the current administration.

There is one candidate that I believe will be better for the rest of the world and for peace and there is one candidate that I believe will be much worse for the world.

Make the right choice. Vote Obama. The rest of us are counting on you to do the right thing America.

12. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

Don't hold your breath for me. I'll not vote the for the right, the left, but if the rest of the world wants a Libertarian as president, count on me! :D

13. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Like others have said, we've seen that one person's administration can make the country a lot worse, so yes, I think one person and his administration can make the country a lot better.

I don't think we'll see fundamental changes -- both major parties are pro-corporate, we're not going to see corporate greed decline, but it will have a slight amount more control with my "candidate of choice." Both parties are pro-U.S. intervention in the world, that won't change much either.

In any election, there are maybe 5% of the real issues facing us on the table, and we see big differences between the two parties on that 5%, but with that 5% change, the radical changes you're talking about aren't going to happen.

I actually thought the best point Obama made in the debates (which he didn't make very well, probably because he didn't want to be accused of being unpatriotic or something) was his reference to George W's reaction to 9/11 -- "go shopping." Within a few hours of the bombings there were tens of thousands of people in NYC lined up to donate blood (which unfortunately wasn't needed), and thousands others rushing as close to the site as possible to do what they could. Going through such a terrible tragedy together could have had the one benefit of bringing the nation together (and I'm not talking about flags, or attacking Afghanistan), keeping our individualism while adding more compassion to it. Instead we had 7 years of tearing the nation apart. Whatever anyone thinks about universal health care and Michael Moore, the fact that the volunteers and workers that were shown in Sicko that are sick from cleaning up the site and looking for bodies, etc., can't even get healthcare, can't seem right, and to me is a symbol of the wrong direction we've taken. Having a leader who values giving back to the community, I think will help us to go in the right direction, but again, not radically so.

(and, our current president has curtailed your ability to "speak up," so, while I agree that change happens from the ground up, I'm not sure that even for that there's no difference who the president is)

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Well, if they do then they are **** out of luck because unless you vote for Obama or McCain then you have no chance of voting for the next president ;)

15. macfan881 macrumors 68020

if obama wins and the democrats take the senate wich is very likely i think the country can get back to good times like we had when Clinton was president ah good days..

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

As a single person, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Nancy Pelosi, and Dick Cheney have probably had the most profound effects of a single American person on the world, good or bad. Many nations have their movers and shakers. Soon Obama will join this short list.

But it will take the collective efforts of a lot of people in a lot of countries to make for a positive world change.

First on the list is probably global warming, then the economy, Israel, Africa, recurring 19th century plagues like malaria, influenza, and smallpox, and the worldwide decline/crash in housing prices and the stock markets. There are many others and the ingenuity of the human spirit will eventually solve those issues, not quickly mind you, but eventually.

I am not young and will not see any of the above issues get solved satisfactorily, but the youngest members of Macrumors will see some of these issues completely cease to exist. But of course, there will be new world threatening problems that, as of now, are yet to exist.

For many years, outside of tin horn dictators, world "leaders" have been more or less figureheads with little power compared to congresses, parliaments, and diets...most of whom are popularly elected by the common citizen of said countries.

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Albeit a good desire it is all to simplistic. Bush really screwed up my country and our standing in the world.

It's going to take time and a great deal of effort on the part of congress to make things right.

18. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    amen brother! :eek:

19. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I love you! I thought I was the only one to remember that movie! Now I have to watch it again.

I mentioned Batteries Not Included to someone the other day, and they had no idea what I was talking about, they also never saw Short Circuit. Kids these days :) (BTW Im 26)

Now back on topic, yes one man can make things better, as long as it's the right man. It's not going to happen overnight, and he will need a LOT of help, but there is hope. Vote for Change!