Do you blame Brown?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Jul 29, 2008.

?

Do you blame Gordon Brown?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  3. On the fence

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So, we're f*****. We all know this, and it's only getting worse.

Who is to blame? Very simplistic I know, but then most voters probably are simplistic.

Is it Brown's fault for the state we are in, or has it all been out of his control?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I don't believe he is personally responsible for the current UK woes — the whole world is going to hell in a handbasket fast — and he is carrying the can (call it legacy if you will) for Tony Blair's loose and fast playing.

However, he can be blamed for the way he "presents" himself — "My job is to listen… yaddah yaddah…" :rolleyes: How many more times are we going to hear that?
    And he could do a lot worse than get rid of some of the flotsam and jetsom in his cabinet.

But I think he has what you might call, "Bad luck". (Definitely bad timing. :eek:)

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Is the UK really that bad? Your quality of life and life expectancy seems to be up there with the best. You're also all relatively wealthy compared to most people in the world. You also live in a fantastic region with lots of opportunity to travel and experience wonderful cultures and locations. What's really bugging you guys and is it really that bad? Or are you just being melodramatic?

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think I agree. I have no doubt that he as Chancellor and Blair as PM had their part to play in the lead up. But we're not unique in our rapidly going down the drain status.

I'm not terribly clued up on the ins and outs of everything, but it seems that things have just spiralled out of control since the US mortgage crisis began. I don't think Brown could do an awful lot about that.

I did think he'd make a good PM, if times weren't so generally awful he may have, but I don't see him ever coming out of his time in the hot seat well.

Although I don't necessarily blame him for the train wreck, I do think they could handle it all a lot better. I wish they'd stop announcing grand schemes and sending millions and billions off to other countries for this that and the other. We need it, stop spending our insane levels of tax money on other people.
    Unemployment is going up. Fuel prices across the board are absolutely sky rocketing. Food prices are doing the same. Someone is getting murdered almost daily in central London. No one is buying houses because no one can afford them or get a decent mortgage. At the same time house prices are actually plummeting.

I have a fairly decent job, and I just get by with no more luxuries than TV and Internet. I'm dreading winter fuel bills. There's no way I can even think about trotting off on holiday to near by destinations.

5. Mikey- macrumors regular

I choose yes, but also agree Blair has played a part in Britain getting worse.

I just think since Gordon Brown came into office on 27th June '07 he could have made Britain abit better.
    He say's he's going and make Britain a better place cutting unemployment ect but he still hasn't.

He said after his holidays he's going to start doing his job, lets hope so!

6. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

A close relative of mine is a Lord, and spends his days in the House of Lords debating matters back and forth. He's met both Gordon Brown and Tony Blair a number of times.

I won't bother going into it, but to me, as a 19 year old, when my relative who basically works closely with our heads of Government, is telling me to get an Education and get out while I can - it's worrying.

At 19 I have no hope or vision of ever owning my own home - until my parents pass away and leave me what we currently have.

Today I was even being really cautious of how much milk I poured onto my Special K and did I really need a slice of toast with my breakfast.

I think things are pretty bad at the minute for such a [formerly] great country.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

A lot of parents (and grandparents ;)) are telling their children to get an education and get out — out of the house:p

But back to the original question:
    Is GB to blame? Nope.
    I doubt many could do better than him. I suspect voter fatigue is setting in and any change is seen as better than the same old faces on Newsnight every evening.
    Unfortunately the choice is pretty stark: Labour or Tories?
    And are we ready for little Lord Fauntleroy?
    His name might not be George Nathaniel Curzon, but I have no doubt he considers himself as a very superior person… pink of cheek and sleek of hair… I am quite sure he'd dine at Blenheim at least twice a week.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sounds exactly like the US. I'm in the same exact situation. Only here, people tell you to stop complaining and be happy you have a job. Maybe they're right in a sense.

9. djellison macrumors 68020

GB is a crap statesman, a dreadful leader and worse at dodging questions in Parliament than Blair ever was.

The global economy is currently ugly - we know that - but that man and his government are not helping.

Doug

10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sad huh :( I know we're not alone in our situation by any means, I know there are others worse off. Never the less, it sucks, more than sucks it's actually getting genuinely difficult, and I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel any time soon.

I think as arkitect mentioned, the Conservatives will get in next time round. Not necessarily because they'll be any better, but because people are sick of times being hard and getting harder, and they're sick of the same old people failing miserably to do anything about it. "Why not give the other guys a shot? Can't be much worse." kind of thinking, must admit, I think I'm there too.

11. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

There is no separation from Brown and Blair. He backed everything Blair has done.

"Two cheeks of the same arse"

The thing that really annoys me is that he'd prefer to bring down the entire party than let go. He's a prick, that much is clear.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

One of these two statements is wrong.

Someone's paranoid. A pint of milk in a carton of 4 pints is only 35p/pint as it has been for a long time. You can buy a loaf of Sainsbury's basics bread for 40p. That isn't exactly expensive by any standards.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I hear you. I used to think it would be fairly easy finding a new job. It's awful right now, though. I've been in the ad business for over 9 years and have had three promotions too. What are the people who don't have that going to do? It's a bit scary.

14. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I don't think Gordon Brown is to blame, no.

I also have to admit that, other than the petrol prices, I can't say I'm being too badly affected by all the 'chaos' everyone is continually referring to.

I think we should all stop moaning and just get on with it.

15. Queso macrumors G4

Not necessarily. A friend of mine will inherit an Earldom when his father dies, yet thanks to great-grandad's gambling habit the family haven't a pot to piss in. He's planning to whore the family name around the Emirates as soon as he's got it :D

On topic, of course it's not Gordon Brown's fault, but considering he's quite willing to take credit for the past decade of economic health (which, Ms. Harman, was also down to international factors) he can't have it both ways. If anyone is to blame it's Thatcher for removing the country's industrial base and making the economy over-reliant on banking.

16. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

He's been in charge of the economy for years, when it peeks he got the praise, so now the downturn is happening...

It'll always be like this with this sort of economics.

17. stomer macrumors 6502a

We're going through a correction. The crazy increases in property prices since 2000 weren't sustainable. There's not much that GB or anyone else can do about the situation in the US economy.

So far I don't think Brown has done anything particularly wrong. His problem is that the majority of voters don't think he's done anything particularly good. He's also not very charismatic.

There is the Northern Rock debacle. On the face of it, bringing it under government ownership seems completely wrong, there's no way that a government can run a bank better than a private enterprise. But, I guess they chose to bring it under state control because it would have damaged the economy had they not done so.

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

:)

19. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

yeah, but it taste like **** :p

20. Queso macrumors G4

That chain of events has undone him IMO. The Government is basically there to keep things ticking over and manage crises. When they are shown to be incapable of either, as with Northern Rock, people get disenchanted very quickly.

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Once you start baking your own bread you never go back to shop-bought.

Which reminds me… gotta go feed the starter. :D

22. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

you're definitely right on that one.. we sometimes make homemade and its gone in a few hours! lol..

haven't invested in breadmakers yet...

anywa, this is going off topic!!

if GB to blame? i'm on the fence, as its not entirely his fault... i guess blair paved the path and brown walked into it and carried on walking...

something has to be done... but what and how and when? that is the $1bn ZIM question (which equates to about £2.65!! :eek:)

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Still, even a decent loaf of bread is only about £1. And you can make quite a lot of toast from that.

If bread and milk are classed as expensive to people in the UK we are screwed, simply because there'll be 5 billion other people for whom its too expensive for them to survive.

Ah, the exception to the rule :p.

Sorry.

As did the rest of the world though. Its not just the UK.

24. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

The public have it in their minds that GB is a failure, and so by staying as Labour leader he is bringing the party down. This means we'll end up with a Conservative government next election by default.

The sad thing is that there isn't really anyone to replace him and change perceptions. So the Tories will replace NL as the country's incompetent government and off we go again.

As for the original question, no, despite what the armchair economists will try to tell you.

25. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I think that the blame rests almost exclusively at Mr. Brown's desk.

He was chancellor for a decade and "invested" billions that we didn't have and now that the economy is going tit's up we find out that, as edesignuk put it, "we're f*****".

Be it petrol prices, taxes, runaway banking, house prices or the eroding of civil liberties and privacy, Mr. Brown has had some accountability in it all.

It really is about time that Messrs. Straw, Hoon, Darling, Miliband and whoever either tell, or force, the Prime Minister to leave office and thus consign Mr. Brown's Premiership to the history books as one of the worst ever.

And the alternative is the Conservative Party - god(s) help us!