do you call adult females girls?

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2003
Just got into an argument over whether it is okay to call an adult female a girl or not. I argued that the word girl in that context is more like an equivalent of guy for guys and that it actually has gained popularity because it is both colloquial and not overly feminine. It's use because its the only word that feels like a nonsexual, simple way to talk about a, well a girl that i know.

what ya'll think?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I'm guilty of also calling women 'girls' but I know many women who are offended by those of us using the term. :eek:

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2003
vniow said:
I'm not a girl, I'm a chick.
when i hear chick i think of a bunch of macho *******s objectifying women. SOmething like this snippet that i overheard last night at a bar:
"that chick is hot dude!"
"Yeah man. I'd throw it in her."

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I certainly don't mind being called a girl.... makes me feel younger :)

Ma'am... umm definitely NOT. Ever. Not unless you want to seriously offend someone.

Chick/Baby/Babe... please don't call me those. ever.
(only exception to the rule would be "oooh she's a hot babe"... but sadly i don't hear that very often... *sniff*)

I am a bird!! Some women might find the term 'bird' offensive but i'm a 'bird', all my friends are 'birds' (not the male ones obviously... gets confusing at times) and i'm a lil bit cheeky and think it's a great term ;)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
They'd probably complain less if you call them girls, than if you call them what you'd call their mothers/grandmothers.

Don't want to make them feel too old...

adroit

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Victoria, BC
dietcokevanilla said:

Ma'am... umm definitely NOT. Ever. Not unless you want to seriously offend someone.

(only exception to the rule would be "oooh she's a hot babe"... but sadly i don't hear that very often... *sniff*)

I am a bird!! Some women might find the term 'bird' offensive but i'm a 'bird', all my friends are 'birds' (not the male ones obviously... gets confusing at times) and i'm a lil bit cheeky and think it's a great term ;)
agreed. agreed. agreed.

Don't know about the "bird" though :confused:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
It would depend who the 'girl' was and my relationship to her. If it's a friend, then there's no problem – equally so if they refer to me as a boy. On the other hand, I wouldn't call a woman I didn't know a 'girl', at least not to her face.

But hey, that's just me.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
I ALWAYS say "HEY GIRLS" to all my girlfriends younger or older than me (i'm 29) !!! Or when I am leaving a voice mail for my a friend I ALWAYS start out saying "HEY GIRL, what's up, its Kelly!!" How in the world could that be offensive to someone? :)

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
dietcokevanilla said:
Hey Bird :D

:p ;)

Eluon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
dietcokevanilla said:

I agree except in the South, we are taught that Sir and Ma'am are signs of respect. I will always call men and women over say 30 sir and ma'am. I don't find it offensive and neither do they. Ma'am doesn't offend many people.