Do you care about the NFL or professional sports in general?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Nov 29, 2011.

?

Do you care about the NFL/Professional sports?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I was just watching the news, and here in MN the Vikings, who are a horrible team at 2-9, are shaking their little rattle whining for a new stadium. Their lease at the Metrodome runs out after this year, and they are threatening to leave if the taxpayers don't foot a good chunk of the bill for a new stadium, because the crappy Metrodome isn't good enough for such a crappy team. Their leverage is that the team brings in $20M for the local economy annually.

This brings me back to the early '90s, when Norm Green took the losing North Stars out of the state, partially for the same reason--because we taxpayers wouldn't foot the bill for a new arena for them. Well, MN didn't exactly collapse without the missing annual revenue when Norm Green got a stick up his ass, so I think we'd be OK without the Vikings.

IMO it takes a lot of gall to be a billionaire whining that the taxpayers should foot the bill for a stadium for one of the worst teams in the league, as if it would be such a loss if they left.

Over the last few decades every team in this state has whined for a new stadium, threatening to leave if we don't pick up the tab. We did build a stadium for the Twins (beautiful one, actually). They lost 99 games this year. As soon as the Twins got a stadium, the Metrodome was all of a sudden not good enough for the Vikings. Quite frankly, at least in this state, I'm tired of hearing about it and I couldn't care less if they left...then we wouldn't have to listen to a bunch of billionaires and thugs whine.

I grew up playing sports, but I just don't care about professional sports and I'm tired of the politics and childishness in all of them. It seems like professional sports in general have just become a bunch of billionaires and irresponsible lowlifes shaking their rattles like little kids.

Get out Vikings, let someone else deal with you. Most people in Minnesota don't even give a crap about you anymore and wouldn't care if you left. I feel bad for the fans that they do have, but if billionaires want a new stadium for the SOLE reason that they WANT one when we have a crappy but perfectly good and usable one, then billionaires can pay for it out of pocket.

2. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I like college sports far more than pro sports.
    Really the only sports I watch that are professional are NHL and MLB. I could really care less about the rest. Where I live there is no MLB team (closest Atlanta or St. Louis) and a growing, bad market NHL team (the Predators).

This sums up the NFL exactly, and partially the NBA, which is why I don't really watch those sports.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I pretty much have to agree.

You asked if I "care" about pro sports. No, I don't care. I enjoy watching the Red Sox games (well, usually:p) - but I could care less about the crap that goes on in the clubhouse or the front office. I just like watching the games. Consequently, I don't get in a lather when the players or management act like greedy, petulant, childish *******s.

4. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

No. I don't really want to watch a bunch of people run around and catch a ball or whatever. I'd much rather actually play them.

5. chuffman15 macrumors regular

i was huge sports nut. i would watch every game of every sport at any time. at then stuff started happening........
    1.free agency completely ruined every sports team fan base. i live in the dc area where we had the "hogs" (redskins o-line) those guys were together forever. you could name all of them. you used to be able to name the players on your team. now its hard to remember whose on the team and who got traded. its a revolving door. ( i know this is mostly football related)
    2.fantasy sports completely ruined sports because instead of rooting for team. people are rooting for individual players. so your team would lose but as long as your "player" did good everything was ok.
    3.nhl lookout/strike. i was a season ticket holder for the caps and when that happened i was lost. and then jeremy roenick gets on tv talking about the players need all the money turned me off hockey.
    4. nba lockout. really don't care about basketball. but I'm sure this screwed up stuff too.

my old boss had a son who was playing high school football and i started going to those games and i really enjoyed it. they were playing for pride an not a paycheck. i also like college football.
    i actually fell in love with nascar. i got the chance to go to a race in richmond va and now i have season tickets to nascar.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Nope, couldn't care less about pro/college sports. I played lax in high school; it was good exercise, and I had fun. However, I'm really sickened by the hero-worship of it all. And the money. It boggles my mind the kind of money that is thrown around in the name of sports.:mad:

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I really enjoy professional sports as a form of entertainment. Are there negatives that come along with it, sure, but professional sports also do a lot to build communities and give back. Like everything, the goal is balance, and most decisions come down to individual choices. I'm not going to hold an entire sport or franchise responsible for something negative one player, coach, or owner decides to do.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I love football. In fact, we just got season tickets to the Broncos this year. Having a great time.

9. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I prefer college sports, mostly college football. I do love college baseball, as well. It helps that my alma mater has one of the biggest (in one of the best, IMO) on-campus baseball stadiums in the country. The atmosphere there is more like a football tailgating experience than baseball. There's nothing like hanging around in Left Field Lounge for a weekend of college baseball.

I lost a lot of enthusiasm for professional baseball after the 1994 strike. I've started enjoying it more as I have gotten older, but I still can't watch a whole game on TV. I do love attending in person. I do really like minor league baseball. It was great when I lived two miles away from our in-state minor league team. I watched them a lot.

I also like the NFL, but not as much as I used to. I like college basketball, but I can't stand the NBA.

10. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I agree with you regarding baseball, though I still haven't found myself getting back into it much. I can't say that I have missed the NBA either during the strike, and certainly won't have any interest in a depleted NBA should the strike end this year. I think it may suffer the same fate as baseball with people having apathy toward it when it returns.

I do still enjoy the NFL and NHL, and while I have lived in Colorado the past 18 years, after transplanting from the Pittsburgh area, the Steelers and Penguins are still my favorite teams.

11. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I love the nfl, European soccer leagues and F1. Just ticks me off when players complaint about money... As far as tax payers that's a whole different issue....

12. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Yes, but sure as hell not all of them.

I love the NBA.

I'm O.K. with the MLB and NHL.

I hate the NFL.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Baseball is my favorite sport (shocking, I know!)...Unlike like some of you guys, I can watch every inning of every Yankees game...and I would if I had the chance.

The NFL is my second favorite sport...but I can sit down and watch anything....basketball (college first and then the NBA), hockey, Lacrosse...If they play it, I'll watch it.

14. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Don't care much for collegiate sports.
    Don't like NHL, MLB or NBA.

Probably NFL is my fav and even then it's only about the players that are on my fantasy team.

15. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I would rather play sports than watch them. Watching sports mostly feels like a waste of time to me. What's the point? That said, I am an anti-Bears fan (NFL). Any team that plays the Bears, I root for. I take great pleasure out of that. Its fun to watch the Bears loose.

If a Chicago team is in the playoffs, I may watch the game on tv if nothing else is on. But I would have it on in the background while I do something else. I can't image sitting in front of a tv and watching a game and doing nothing else.

I like college sports even less. What's the point of watching teams play from schools that I didn't go to?

I do watch the Olympics, though...that's fun.

Also, I sometimes watch professional sports games in person (at the stadium). That's also fun....but at the stadium, its more about the atmosphere, the food and the people than the game, itself.

16. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I only truly follow MLB and NASCAR, and these are the only two sports I go see live with some regularity. I'd watch more NFL, but my Dullfins haven't been competitive in years, plus NASCAR is usually on at the same time. :p College football is good, but I don't sit around all Saturday and watch every game that comes on. I watch sports, but I'm not a rabid sports fan who lives and dies by what a bunch of spoiled ball players do on the field.

If you want a nice story about rich team owners not paying for stadiums, have a look at what the Florida Miami Marlins just did with their new ballpark. Also, it turns out the city might get screwed big time on the parking garage taxes. Oops. :rolleyes:

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Well, where I'm from sports are a pretty big deal.

<---

Do you feel the same way about Hollywood? Movies & television? The entertainment industry is big bucks, and sports is a HUGE portion of that.

Well, the Metrodome is a complete **** hole, so you can't really blame them.

Sports do a lot for the local economy. They create jobs and bring in tax revenue. I know a lot of the businesses by the Garden have been hurting with the NBA locked out. They make tons of money on game nights.. it's how a lot of those businesses survive.

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, I do.

Of course, entertainment is a pretty important part of life, and I'm not suggesting this stuff is bad in and of itself (that is a different conversation). I'm just appalled at the amount of money thrown around.

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Having Pro sports teams is about prestige for a city. If it has pro sports, then it's an "important" city, if not......m'eh, it's second rate.....at best.

Building the now hated Metrodome was promoted in part by former VP Humphrey who declared that if the Metrodome wasn't built "... the Twin Cities would be just a cold Omaha."

And good lord! Who wants to live in a city that's been demoted to the same status as Omaha? Or worse, a COLD version of Omaha! :eek:

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Did they not have anyone to actually check the laws on that? Morons.

The difference is that movie studios usually don't extort city/state governments into paying for expensive buildings, parking lots, etc, with the threat of leaving town. Maybe they have done it to California or something. I know several places do offer tax breaks to moviemakers, but nothing on the scale of sports franchises. I have also read some accounts that sports teams don't actually bring in the amount of revenue claimed for cities.

Have you ever BEEN to Omaha? :D

Actually, I loved Omaha when I went there for the College World Series. Great people and I had a great time.

Anyway, I agree. Pro sports franchises are a prestige thing. I don't think they have as much economic impact as claimed, especially in smaller-market teams.

21. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

For the record I have no problem with the Vikings building a new stadium--as long as they pay for it. As long as they grow up, have a little class, and open their wallet to pay for it, then by all means, have at it. The Metrodome will continue to be a pimple on the face of Minneapolis either way, as it will stand there for conventions and other crap, much the way it is used now in the offseason now that the Twins vacated house.

It's one thing to build a stadium to have a sports team...we did that with the Wild so we could have the NHL back in MN. The difference with the Vikings is that there is a stadium in place already, yeah it's a craphole but there's nothing wrong with it.

We don't need to build them a stadium to have them here, they already have one--it just isn't good enough for them, apparently, and that I have a problem with.

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yup, love em. Love college football the most though with the NFL coming in second. I don't like watching baseball on TV unless it is the playoff's. Like going to them more.

NHL, like it
    NBA, like it, however I am on the ropes with them after this strike, sort of like how I was about baseball back when they went on strike.
    NFL Love it
    NCAAFB Love it

23. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Steelers fan for life.

Having said that, besides the NFL, I follow MMA, kickboxing (which is currently dying on the world stage) and kind of casually follow boxing (just the big fights really).

Not a fan of college sports.

24. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The only sport I follow is football (of the Association type). Nothing else really holds my interest.

25. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

I used to watch NCAAB growing up, but since I've moved out on my own and have had no cable television (7 years) and so have kind of gotten away from it.

I only watch NBA playoffs really...everything else is just meh.

I LOVE NFL though. I watch any game that's on but my favorite team is the Baltimore Ravens. They just play with such passion and I just love watching them take over a game. Now that I have had a chance to watch them so often, I follow them even when their games are not on my local tv. (ESPN Sports App)

I also enjoy watching the local HS Football and Baseketball games. (I'm a teacher). I love watching the kids that I teach beast it up on the field.