Do you care about Video Chat? a.k.a. Will you be upset 3 hours from now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Donz0r, Jun 8, 2009.

?

Do you care about video chat and will it happen today?

1. Yes I really care about front facing camera, and the new iPhone WILL have it.

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. Yes I really care about front facing camera, but the new iPhone WILL NOT have it.

15 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. No I don't really care about front facing camera, but the new iPhone WILL have it.

12 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. No I don't really care about front facing camera, but the new iPhone WILL NOT have it.

42 vote(s)
    52.5%
  1. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

So, who here actually cares about the front facing camera rumors?

It would be cool to video chat, but its not a feature I really care about. Maybe if a lot of people I knew got new iPhones I would care.

2. Xtremespirit319 macrumors regular

Could really care less....I do want video recording though....

3. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

There's other phones out there with it. Can't see it being iPhone to iPhone only. But anyway I don't think I'd use it that much. And I don't think we will see it today anyway.

4. spookme macrumors member

Video calling been available for some time here in UK, dont know about USA, when I first got it had a quick go, it kept the kids happy for about 30 seconds.

The tech wasn't up to much, was a bit of pain in the backside too, because people could see when you were not actually paying attention.

So I for one, really wont be bothered if the new phone doesn't have video call capability. Video conference like on iChat, thats a different matter!

5. Donz0r thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I know they exist, but I don't know a single person who has one.

6. spazattack674 macrumors regular

I agree. I'm far more likely to record a video and want to upload it to YouTube than to have a video chat with someone. It's a cool enough idea, but it's not universal enough.

7. Xtremespirit319 macrumors regular

Spaz.....I think thats what they need to do, because people love to upload to youtube from there phone so make it more direct...

8. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

i had a front facing camera on my old phone and used it for skype video calls two or three times a week.

9. Donz0r thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? That's really cool. However, I believe you are in the small minority of really techy people with really techy friends that do this. I beleive this tech will not hit mainstream for another couple years as ubiquitous broadband becomes more available.

10. macuser154 macrumors 6502

I have never used video chat, and I don't know anyone who has. So I won't be disappointed if the new one doesn't have it. I would rather they used the space they could save if they didn't put a front-facing camera in for something a bit more useful.

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I don't need a camera looking at me all the time, I guess I am not that self-absorbed that I need that dedicated feature. Video chat? No thank you, wont use it. Plus it would be a lag-fest over anything but WiFi. Just not a good feature for me.

12. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I used to have a '3' mobile and used video calls a lot when I travelled (to see the missus and kids). I really liked it

Having said that it was expensive and the 3 network was SH*TE and customer service was even worse. Hence why I ditched them for O2 (before iphone)

If the iphone could do it in future (and wasnt stupidly expensive) I would use it again (I miss my family when I travel!)

13. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Nope, just had a girlfriend on the other side of the atlantic at the time.

14. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

I don't expect that it will happen, and I don't necessarily need it - but at the same time it would be kinda cool.

Remember back to when the iMac was first introduced - it didn't have a floppy drive, and everybody was shocked and amazed that it didn't have one. Fast forward 15 years and hardly any computers come with a floppy drive anymore.

I don't know how much it would go over in the first months / year -- but who knows, they could be trendsetters.

15. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I think it'd be nice, but if there was something else innovative than what we've seen that'd be fine too.

Phazer

16. Cander macrumors 6502

Would it be cool? Yes. Is it a deal maker or breaker for me? No.

The only way they could dissapoint me would be no 32GB model.

17. ===== macrumors newbie

If the iPhone gets video chat all it's going to do is raise the price on your plan.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

19. Cifu macrumors newbie

It would be nice. but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if its not implemented.

20. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I don't really think a front facing camera would be a major selling point.

21. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i think if the hardware+software could pull it off it would be a HUGE selling point, not only that but there will be millions of opportunities for the iPhone (if there aren't already)

22. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Just what we need. A bunch of kids driving their car down the road using video chat.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I wouldn't use it - I worry about angling the phone disastrously and taking nasal shots...