Do you currently jailbreak? [poll]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ozaz, Nov 20, 2011.

?

Do you currently use one or more jailbroken iOS device

Poll closed Jan 19, 2012.
  1. Yes

62 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

124 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. ozaz, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

ozaz macrumors 65816

Simple poll.

I'm curious as to what percentage of the macrumors community currently uses one or more jailbroken iOS devices.

Feel free to voice your reasons as to why/why not.

2. Catdogchicken macrumors regular

3. pchipchip macrumors regular

Not anymore. I used to have my iPod Touch jailbroken, but it made it a lot slower in the long run, so now I do not jailbreak. Besides iOS 5 is pretty great as it is.

4. ozaz thread starter macrumors 65816

Personally, I jailbreak my iPad solely because I want to password protect apps (I share my iPad a lot) but don't jailbreak my iPhone because I want it to be as stable as possible.

5. Doxis macrumors newbie

I jailbreaked my ipad2 64 so fast i could, will soon buy iphone 4s but i think i maybe will jailbreak it

Sended with tapatalk.
    Www.youtube.com/Kogizu
    Subscribe please

6. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

since hacker cannot unlock iphone 4 , they're give off doing j/b unlock , for long time i didn't hear anything about unlock,jailbreak

apple is secure now ,

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nope. Never have and doubtful I ever will.

8. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I have no reason to jailbreak my iPhone. I like to keep things simple. I will leave the jail breaking to those who want to tweak every setting on their phone :D

9. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've done it a couple times on previous hardware, thought "eh, that's nice, I guess" and then restored after not really finding a use for it.

If someone wants to jailbreak their device, great. I'll even help them if they need it, and have even done it for a couple of people. But personally, stock iOS is fine for me, particularly iOS 5.

I also dislike people who make a big stink whenever someone jailbreaks and goes into a tirade about why they shouldn't. AND I dislike those who actively try to get every iOS user to jailbreak, just because they think everyone should or because stock iOS is an affront to their ideal about how software should be free. People can jailbreak if they choose... they should also be able to use their hardware as the manufacturer intended if that's what they really want to do, even if it personally offends others who don't own that particular iPhone or iPad.

11. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

12. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Over time, I have definitely considered it. However, as there has been more customization allowed by IOS, I have held off.
    And it still frustrates me that certain things are outside of the parameters of what Apple allows. But I've learned to live with it.

13. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I'm trying to decide if I actually should jailbreak my 4S when it becomes available.

I always used to but alot of the reasons I used to jailbreak before have been addressed w/ iOS 5:

- SBSettings type toggle controls I know have thanks to iPhoneza and Touch Icon Creator

- The only other functional reason I could think of to jailbreak would be for the NES/SNES emulators to play with my Wiimote... but do I really want to play those games on a 3.5' screen when I could play them on my 10' Netbook w/ a usb controller?

Things I don't care about that most people jailbreak for:

- Theming w/ Winterboard (slows down phone)
    - MyWi or tethering (since you Att will now catch you)
    - SBSettings (since I already made my settings toggles w/ Touch Icon Creator)
    - Stealing apps
    - Lockinfo
    - Bitesms

Any other functional reason to jailbreak? :confused:

14. vaugha macrumors regular

Me neither.

15. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Not yet but once an untethered iOS5 jailbreak comes out, I will jailbreak ASAP.

16. Ski21 macrumors newbie

Soon as 4s jailbreak is available, I'm doing it tether or untethered.

17. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I recently rooted my iPhone 4 just to see what it was like. I obviously haven't rooted my 4S though (my main phone) cuz a jb hasn't been released yet.

Anyways, I don't think there are many reasons for me to jailbreak...

-MyWi is technically illegal, correct?
    -Stealing apps is definitely illegal.
    -SBSettings isnt really that necessary for some functions. For example, turning Wi-Fi on/off all the time is a burden with barely any benefit. The iPhone has amazing battery life. On my Android phones, these toggles were important cuz my phone would die fast, but on the iPhone, no worries.
    -Fake ClockUp isn't as helpful as it would've been awhile ago, because iOS 5 is already faster than iOS 4, and the 4S makes things even faster than that.

I rooted and ROM'd my Android phones because you practically had to in order to save yourself from problems, get necessary features, get updates, ect. But with my iPhone(s), I don't have to do any of these extra tweaks. It's like paradise to have an amazing phone that doesn't require any kinds of upkeep, or worries like "What if the dev stops supporting this ROM?" or in the iPhones case, things like "How long will it take before they jailbreak [iOS version here]?"

18. mtptlyx macrumors newbie

mtptlyx

I JB my iP4, mostly for the convenience provided when using the Geevy Ultra.
    (FuriosMod finds network automatically; no need to dial a special number.).
    In the US I'm on AT&T. When I travel out of the country, I pop in the Geevy & a local sim, and bam... I'm connected.

I'm awaiting delivery of a factory unlocked 4s, so jail breaking will be less important to me.

19. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

lol no

20. Advil macrumors 6502a

Currently, no because the 4S isn't jailbroken yet. But I've jailbroken the other 4 iPhones when I had them and will do it again as soon as I can.

I miss BiteSMS so much it hurts. Things like Lockinfo and SBSettings are sorely missed as well.

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

No, more bugs than its worth.

With a jailbroken 3GS that I used to have, I have noticed stupid things happen like, when pressing Add Call, NOTHING HAPPENS, apps that randomly lock up etc.

NOT WORTH IT.

22. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

MyWi is a more advanced and useful tethering interface than the stock one, which the iPhone has by design. So how exactly is tethering illegal, if it's a service offered by carriers through iOS?

I'm sorry, but where does it read that jail breaking means stealing apps? And from what I have read, you can torrent apps and use programs to "crack" them without jail breaking, thus further proving that jail breaking and stealing are not correlated.

I agree WiFi rarely gets toggled, but if I want to, I don't want to open the settings app and navigate a few times. Plus, you're forgetting much more commonly used features like SSH access, bluetooth, screen brightness, act.

I don't think you understand FCU. First off, iOS 5 runs as fast if not slower on an i4 than iOS 4, due to it being bloated with more features (note I'm not saying iOS 5 runs slowly on the i4). FCU cuts the stupidly drawn out "pretty" animations Apple placed in iOS so that instead of viewing the silly fade in or fade out of settings, when I select settings, it's instantly open. So no, iOS or the hardware cannot mimic the benefits of FCU (unless Apple changes it or makes it a user option in the future.

I understand fully if jail breaking isn't for you, but please criticize with factual honesty :)

23. Yumunum, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

-I highly highly highly doubt most users with MyWi have a tethering plan. That's 99% of the point of MyWi, free tethering. AT&T's service requires a tethering plan to tether. You sign papers with this information. You "break the rules" by not having a plan and tethering anyways.

-I never said pirating was only done through jail breaking. Jbing certainly makes it easier, though. It's a big reason a lot of people would have to jailbreak.

-I never said SBSettings was completely useless. I used 1 example. So I didn't actually "forget" anything, I knew those toggles existed, and that was besides the point.

-get a phone on iOS 4 and one on iOS 5 right next to each other. Now, open a folder. Which one opens faster? The one on iOS 5. Trust me, do it yourself. That's what I'm talking about. Do you seriously think I don't understand what FCU does? I know very well what it does.

You need to try fully understanding what you're responding to before you speak

EDIT: I might've misinterpreted your speech as being hateful when you weren't being hateful. lol. I'm really ticked right now so I'm sorry for lashing out, either way. But hopefully you see what I'm talking about. Sorry about that!

24. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

I stopped once I could buy a SIM-free phone with no operator restrictions. Even then, I only jailbroke it to unlock it for another network.

25. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I was jailbroken in 4.2.1 before iOS 5 came out, I skipped iOS 4.3