Do you donate/listen to NPR? Or agree with its existence?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Aug 5, 2014.

1. G51989, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

This is an issue I've been running into lately, its about National Public Radio.

Some people seem to have an issue that around 7% of its budget is from a federal grant.

I find NPR to be the best news radio network on the air, and its not just listened to in the US, its listened to online and even broadcasted in areas all over the world.

But it seems like some people care about a very small grant?

The question is, do you listen to NPR and enjoy it?

Do you donate to NPR? If so, how much?

Do you think public broadcasting is important?

I love NPR.

I donate about 15,000 dollars per year. I find it incredibly important to have NPR on the air, its a view into our world that even the Internet cannot match. And if you do like NPR, every dollar matters.

And I feel like, while for profit networks are fine, I feel like a non profit is required. And that is why NPR I think is the best Radio Network on the air.

NPR is never dull. They also cover issues all over the world that most American media refuses to. They care more about right wing people issues than actual right wing outlets do, as this picture shows us.

PS: For those who do not live in America, NPR known as National Public Radio, is the best American radio network, its all over the world online, its also broadcasted in the EU as well and some parts of Asia . Its the American Version of FRANCE 24 or the BBC. Its a treasure the American people have clearly refused to give up. NPR represents and reports on Americans from every single walk of life, income, and job. And culture. They also report and talk to people all over the world.

Americans by the millions all over the country listen to NPR, they are very much the American BBC, even popular overseas.

Attached Files:

• Z1.jpg
      Z1.jpg
      File size:
      96.8 KB
      Views:
    • MR2.jpg
      MR2.jpg
      File size:
      65.2 KB
      Views:
    • MR1.png
      MR1.png
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I do contribute. NPR is the only real news on the radio. There is a slight conservative bias to some of their reporting, e.g. the Supreme Court, but, I live with it. CBS and ABC have some coverage, but, it is just headlines. I admit that I am tired of hearing about that 7% from the right wing. I think they should reduce the budget appropriately by 7%, drop that funding, and just get on with the job -- then it would be NO right wing tax dollars at work. Of course, then the right wing would complain about being bombarded by NPR RF radiation being beamed at them. (Tin foil helps.)

Some people just prefer to be ignorant.

I can't afford all those zeroes, but, I applaud you.

3. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Even when I was in college and could only afford a couple bucks a month, I still donated.

NPR is such a vital resource for Americans.

No story on NPR is ever boring or mindless talking points.

Plus who doesn't love Click and Clack, the tappet brothers ;)

----------

I applaud you, most local NPR stations also do huge work for charity to.

Yes, they are. But.

If you ever are bored, because I do so much business in Pittsburgh.

KDKA AM1020, is an amazing regional station to, the talk hosts on it are really great people, give them a listen online.

I think they should to, NPR has only been getting more popular.

But the right would just bitch, " oh their non profit and hate America! get them off the air. "

I don't think most anti NPR people are smart enough to understand half the stories and issues that NPR deals with.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't donate. I don't have a problem with it, however, it shouldn't be getting government money.

----------

Charming as always.:rolleyes:

5. G51989, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Why should it not get its 7% grandt?

Just curious.

It is literally the only objective news and information source available to most Americans.

And its a drop in the bucket compared to corporate handouts.

If we stop corporate handouts, we can cut NPR funding.

----------

I don't need to be charming, married to a very cute European ;) And she can drive stick ;)

But lets be honest here, NPR covers lots of very serious stories.

While people who think NPR is a bad idea listen to Rush and Hannity and agree with everything fed to them.

I want less Hannities in this world, and more NPR's.

6. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Yes I listen, yes I donate, and yes I love it.

But I despise click and clack. Sorry, but to me their shtick when out with the jerky boys. ;)

7. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Good, good and good.

Keep a real Media source In America :)

Oh you don't like Click and Clack?

If your a car guy you should love click and clack ;)

Followed by Wait Wait Don't tell me!

8. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Now I can get behind WWDTM!

9. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

" So you went down a 5% grade for 8 miles? You did glaze your brakes! "

Wait Wait Don't Tell me is amazing :)

The right has been trying to kill NPR for 30 years, yet the donations just keep increasing :)

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I like Powdermilk Biscuits, though that is PRI, and Says You is quite good. Every Sunday night here we listen to Clay Jenkinson and learn fascinating old history stuff. It is so nice to have this off-center stuff that normal people find boring or weird.

I have contributed to NPR and PBS in the past, but I am kind of strapped lately. Appreciate you covering for me, G51989 ;)

11. G51989, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

That is why I spread NPR in convos if possible, most people I got to listen to NPR love it, lots of people even donate now.

Your contributions are important :)

I only donate that much because I can afford it, AND I feel an objective news source owned by the people is vital

National Public Radio is the ONLY news source that reports on a national level for the little small business owner, weather it be in America, or in a far flung part of the world in America.

National Public Radio reports on tons of Left and right wing issues, and gives them both time on air, NPR talk show hosts refuses to be locked to a party.

National Public Radio truly is " We report and you decide ", its unbiased as you can get. America NEEDS NPR.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I love it and contribute.

In fact, I've contributed to the public radio station of every town I've lived in. That makes 5:

KIOS in Omaha,
    KGOU in Oklahoma City,
    KNPR in Las Vegas,
    KQEI/KQED in San Francisco/Sacramento, and
    KOPB in Portland.

PHC is a stable to listen to, along with WWDTM, though for some reason, This American Life does grate on the ears. Says You is as great as WWDTM, and I actually learned a lot about my own finances from Marketplace Money. If Science Friday is heaven for Sheldon Cooper, TechNation would be his overdose.

As far as their main/daily shows go, I have yet to see any reporter in the 24-hour news cycle channels get as in depth with their reporting as I have with NPR. I listen to something like StoryCorps, and at the end I think to my self, "Top that, CNN/Fox." They've all, for example, talked about Gaza, but has any of them gone into such depth to cover people living there trying to get hold of their relatives? NPR has. I just don't see the others doing that.

All of these are great shows, and I have to thank my wife for getting me onto it. Besides.. you have not lived until you've had Carl Cassel's voice on your voicemail.

BL.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

To me, NPR is the sound of the America I love and admire.

Essentially generous, curious, and not afraid to ask difficult questions. Relentlessly striving to maintain the highest standards or ethics and professionalism. Never goes for the cheap or tawdry. Never nasty, hectoring or unfair. And how many times I've sat in my garage for several minutes listening to the end of a story, I've long since lost count.

If I ever become famous, I would insist upon giving Terry Gross my only in-depth interview.

And for some reason, it is the voices of NPR's female correspondents that I find most authoritative. Nina Totenberg's got the Supreme Court down pat. Sylvia Poggioli has the skinny on the Vatican. But my all time favorite is West Africa correspondent Ofeibea Quist-Arcton, signing off from Dakaaaaaaaaaaaarrgghhh.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I've listened to NPR since I was in high school. I don't see the problem with it getting funding from the government. NPR and PBS both use it well.

15. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

I don't listen to NPR often and I don't have a problem with funding it.
    Public TV/radio has been a staple of society for years and should remain.

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I listen to NPR news every week (via internet to the UK). I used to contribute to NPR when I was in the US, but now I pay for the BBC.

NPR (and the BBC) are excellent, and IMO essential.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I listen to NPR often and enjoy much of its programing. I am a sponsor but I do not agree with our federal government funding them. I know that isn't a shocker to many here. The USA is not only broke but $17 Trillion in debt. We need to start cutting.

<this is where GT51989 can put in about gutting the military>

Just as we do in our household budgets, we need to go line by line down the federal budget and eliminate all unneeded spending. Federal Grants are a drug. Once you get on them, it's hard to even think about giving them up. Are there better ways that we can spend this $5 million?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The government shouldn't be subsidizing many things, this is just one of them. If only 7% of the NPR budget comes from the government, they shouldn't have too difficult of a time replacing it. I'm sure you could pick up the slack.:p

Neither of them receive government subsidies. I would be just as opposed to them receiving government funds as I am NPR.

Then fund them or support them yourself.

Source?

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

And why wouldn't he? You advocate that we need to start cutting, but want to start with something that gets 0.0006% of the funding the military does. The military gets more than 150,000 times the funding, yet you say that can't be cut. Unreal.

Perspective is obviously not used here. You speak of how we do it with our household budgets but instead of dropping your expensive cable and internet plan, you start by not turning on the bathroom fan while you take a shower one day a year.

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

It’s NPO here and I do listen to their programs, the stations are funded 100% by the state. How much air time and money they receive is dependant on how many members they have signed up.

The huge plus about them is they go deeper into subjects like the EU elections, and they have speakers from all the various parties.

They are one of the last places were you find real journalists on radio or TV.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I listen every day, except weekends when the content is garbage.

Unfortunately, my bank account is empty every two weeks while I'm paying off debt so I have not been able to contribute. :eek:

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad