Do you doubt Apple's ability to release a QUALITY FP Scanner on the 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Makaveliarts, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

Personally, I do not.

Have you ever used the Moto Atrix? The FP Scanner on that phone worked very well IMO, and I'm sure some may disagree about that. That's fine, but a lot of people feel that the Atrix's FP scanner did indeed work well.

So that says that whoever built this FP Sensor had the Tech. Knowledge and Ability to offer a dependable, quality, and effective product that was first sold around March 2011.

To get to the point, the company that made the FP scanner on the Atrix was Authentec. Yes, this is the company Apple bought a few years back. See where I'm going? We can assume that the FP scanner will be far superior than the one on the Atrix which IMO, was great.

We can assume it will be superior because they've had years to further develop the technology, etc etc etc.

That's IF the 5s will have a fingerprint scanner, which it probably will. But if it doesn't, I might stick with my 4s (depends). The reason why I didn't buy the iPhone 5 was because of the lack of FP scanner. But the area I live in did recently get LTE, so considering that, as long as I am able to pre order and get the 5s on release day I will most likely upgrade.

I'm also hoping there will be a decent case available for the 5s as well when it releases, considering the new FP Scanner will make it so I can't use the cases I normally buy (Lifeproof).

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So what exactly with a fingerprint scanner do for you that you can't do already?

3. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Security

Typing a passcode every time I want to get into my phone is a giant pain, and leaving my phone unlocked is a giant pain. Having a fingerprint scanner built into (hopefully) the screen will just require me to place my finger on my screen to get in.

Also, I can link my bank account and credit cards onto my phone without having to worry about my phone being stolen and money taken

4. Makaveliarts, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

Makaveliarts thread starter macrumors 6502

For my own reasons, I feel the FP Scanner will be essential in my everyday use because I have the NEED for higher security on my person phone. Keep in mind my want for the FP Scanner has nothing to do with business/my job/ etc, just for everyday use. Other people might be fine with a 4 Digit passcode, but that has failed me multiple times in the past.

I have had a really long passcode on my 4s for about 1 and a half years now, and it takes a while to type in, especially if you accidentally mess up a digit of the passcode. Also, every time I am done with my phone I make sure to lock it. Which means I have to type the pass in again if I end up needing it just a few seconds or minutes after I locked the phone. This really depends on each persons own personal needs, for some this may be too much of a hassle and they don't really need the security, but I do.

Also, the FP Scanner can be used to skip typing in usernames/passwords, and a variety of other things that would save time, because all my other passwords for websites etc are long and complex as well. I hope Apple makes an option where I can select which apps require a FP Scan to open when the phone has already been unlocked, so I can let someone use my phone without worrying about them being able to creep through my texts, pics, etc.

I hope there is also an option to require not only a FP Scan but also a passcode entry on the INITIAL unlock of the phone, for extra security.

I know it sounds excessive, but could you imagine someone scanning your FP on your phone while you're sleeping in bed, because I definitely can...

5. hagr182 macrumors regular

Except for the horrible mess Maps used to be at launch, most Apple implementations are top notch, Case in point: I did not believe in Passbook, but now its my default app for storing movie tickets, cupons and promos.

After Maps I doubt they would release a poorly implemented feature, this is Apple they make quality stuff, if there is not an FP sensor on the 5S it will be because it wasnt up to standards.

I believe on their hability to deliver

6. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I think a great feature would be having different accounts on iPads, using the fingerprint as an Id

7. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I personally think it would be a pain. For instance, sometimes in the car, at home, or whatever, I will grab my wife's iPhone to look something up if mine is not right next to me. That may not be convenient anymore. That being said, I never lock my phone with a password, etc. Any apps that require security have their own passwords.

8. savvychic macrumors newbie

If someone does steal your phone... can't they just reset it anyhow?

Your data will be safe from a common thief, but assuming the fingerprint scanner works, would it be a theft deterrent?

9. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

If the fingerprint reader is fast and accurate, I'm sure it'll be a welcomed addition to the iPhone. Unfortunately, I think it'll be a fail.

10. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

There is also supposed to be new security features built into the phone that would require your Apple ID and password to reactivate a phone.

11. Makaveliarts thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, iOS7 will come with Activation Lock, which IMO was needed from day one. But even then, there is probably some way to get past it, maybe by replacing certain parts in the iPhone or even just a hack.

Does anyone know if you can disable the Activation Lock if you want to sell/give away your phone?

12. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

You can. It requires your iTunes email and password to be entered.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

A FP scanner, if works seamlessly, it would be like an airbag to me, say back in year 2,000. I am not going to switch car just to get the feature, but when it comes time to upgrade, am going to weight wether to buy a used cool car wo airbag, or the not so cool car with the airbag.

Me phone: No password whatsoever since sep 2012. I live dangerously. ;)

14. *Batman* macrumors member

*Batman*

Whether Apple chooses to release this feature or not, I believe that if they do, it will be a quality feature. In recent years, they've been trying hard to release quality products and if they can't get them just right, they don't release them - or so they say.

15. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I really really want it to work but I have my doubts the tech is there yet. For it to be successful it has to work pretty much every time. If you have to swipe more than once very often it's not going to get used and be a black eye for Apple.

16. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

I think the implementation will be fine. I worry about the hardware. I don't want a scanner that ceases to work after a year or two. Even if I don't still want the phone, non-working features bring down resale value.

On the upside, I look forward to not having to type a passcode, though I'm assuming it will have a passcode feature as a backup incase my thumb gets in the ninja blender, or the kid borrows the phone.

17. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I agree with the OP when he says:

"Yes, iOS7 will come with Activation Lock, which IMO was needed from day one. But even then, there is probably some way to get past it, maybe by replacing certain parts in the iPhone or even just a hack."

But, I would add that smartphone theft (whether an iPhone or any other) is mostly a crime of opportunity. And most thieves would not steal something that they are then going to have to put so much work into before selling it.

The Activation Lock should, however cut down significantly the iPhone thefts once word gets around that the phone will become a brick soon after it is stolen.

As far as the fingerprint scanner goes, I'm not planning on it being a perfect technology, but if it works say 80% of the time it will do for me. I think that you may have to try 2 or more times to get into your phone or might have to wipe the home button to improve your odds of getting in.

I can live with that.

18. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

If there's one thing you really can't blame Apple for, it's releasing half-assed, untested features. I think the FP reader will work perfectly, if there is one.

The flip side though would probably be a damn expensive homebutton to replace.

19. benji888, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Yes, the fingerprint sensor, in combination with the new iCloud Keychain iOS 7 feature, and new activation lock features should do the trick. ...iPhone 5S S=Security (my guess).

This would also pave the way for NFC payments, not that I think it'll be this year, but iPhone 6, next year. ...Or, maybe, a surprise might be the 5S is NFC "ready"?

20. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Do you mean NFC? If so, no, it is extremely insecure and apple isn't going to incorporate it. You can make other people's phones transfer all their private data, like credit card numbers, to your phone just by standing near them with malicious programs.

21. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

That would be one of the things a FP sensor is designed to prevent. Also, most (if not all now) phones that have NFC require some sort of authentication before any financial data will be transmitted.

22. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Ah, thanks for this, yes, this will definitely be a new feature on 5S, IMO.

Apple tends to innovate something that's already been done, make it better or more reliable. I was wondering if the fingerprint scanner had been implemented in a phone before, didn't realize it was working well for years already.

Apple already leads in security. iOS is the most secure mobile OS out there. Looky here: http://www.macworld.com/article/2041724/apples-security-strategy-make-it-invisible.html ...and this, which I wish it had a better headline, it's not a google bash, it shows how apple holds back in order to prevent security holes: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...y-steve-jobs-warnings-on-app-signing-security

23. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Completely out of the question, I'm sure. That's why they just filed a patent for NFC circuitry...

24. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

:eek::rolleyes::D oops, yeah, I meant NFC.

I disagree, Apple will do it, when they can lock it down, which is a main reason I don't think it will be implemented this year.

25. zedzded macrumors regular

The big question is, not will it be a quality scanner, but will it be useful? I'm sure there are some people who will welcome the added security, but for 95% of folk, they will probably use it for a week and then go back to having a pin. It's superfluous technology for the majority of Iphone users and you are running the risk of having your fingers chopped off.