Do you eat / enjoy fast food?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, Jun 22, 2014.

1. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine....cdonalds-burgers-unfit-human-consumption.html

I find it impressive that Oliver managed to take down McDonalds pink slime ways.

But, the question is? Do you eat at fast food places out of choice? Yes or no.

I personally do not, unless I am on a long road trip, and there is nowhere else, I'll buy a cookie or something.

I don't eat fast food for the following reasons

1: It tastes terrible
    2: It promotes no cooking at home, and lazy eating
    3: Promotes cheap low quality eating
    4: Promotes obesity
    5: Promotes soft drinks
    6: promotes fried food for an every day meal
    7: sucks kids into it
    8: Pays low wages
    9: Anti small business
    10: Anti health

I could go on, but I generally find fast food as a bad thing for society.

Do you eat at Fast Food places all the time? I do not typically. I just don't see why anyone would.

Anyone who does it that stuff, point me to a menu item that tastes good? I will try it.

2. bwhinnen macrumors 6502

There is fast food and then there is "fast food". I'd say more of a definition is in order. For example I can go to a local Malaysian or Thai based restaurant and order take-out. I still class this as fast food as I can easily go and pick it up.

But if we talk the usual McD's, Burger King (Hungry Jacks), KFC, Taco Bell, Red Rooster (BBQ rotisserie chicken), Carls Jr., Wendys (you guys really have a lot over there) etc then really none of them are very appetising. Well ok Red Rooster is if I forgo the fries and leave the skin (funnily enough I've not eaten fries for a very long time).

As far as burgers go, besides some of the "local" fish 'n chip store burgers the very best fast food one I've had would be at Five Guys just north of Pittsburgh (Robinson Township).

If I have to eat at a McD's or similar I tend to end up with the grilled chicken based burger / sandwich / wrap over anything. Just as bad really mind you :)

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Rarely I do. I only go to fastfood places on occasion for a small unhealthy snack, which I think is okay. Like a small chicken kickers at KFC or small clam strips at White Castle. I never get full meals at fastfood any more.

My personal reasons ............

Local non-franchise places are cheaper and provide better tasting and larger quantity for your buck.

FastFood isn't that Fast anymore. Wait times seem like they have gotten longer, whether or not they are busy.

The quality(taste) has degraded over the years.

The best tasting foods are usually limited time or always sold out. Just recently White Castle had shrimp nibblers, they sold out in a couple of days everywhere and ended in about two weeks. I've only got to eat them once. :mad:

FastFood meals would make me feel weighted down, drowsy, and a slight headache ... 50% of the time.

Diarrhea ... Who wants that? :p

4. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

About once or twice a month, I take the girls to McDonalds. How do you tell a five-year-old, "No"? She loves the chicken nuggets and apples, I drink a coffee, then she spends an hour on the Playland, while I use the WiFi and post on here.

Otherwise, Subway is our fast food of choice.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Closest to the fastfood chains I do is Subway

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

7. samiwas macrumors 68000

I eat fast food by choice, maybe once or twice a week. More often, it's something like Five Guys or a burrito joint. But I have no problem grabbing a Big Mac or Whopper meal. I've even been known to have Chicken McNuggets for dinner.

I quite enjoy it for what it is. Sometimes, I just want a quick, cheap bite to eat. And man, do I love McDonald's fries.

And in contrast to what many others say, fast food for me is the only thing guaranteed not to cause some rear discomfort. If I know I'm going to be in a show or something where I cannot get out for a bathroom break, fast food is the best choice. Fresh grilled stuff, while I love it, is almost always going to send me on a trip.

8. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Mmmmm White Castle. Are the clam strips good? That's the one thing on the menu I haven't tried.

----------

Next time ask for some big mac sauce in a small cup on the side, they usually have no problem doing this. Dip your McNuggets and fries in it. You're welcome.

----------

You're in new york so I know you have a White Castle near you. Try the ranch chicken rings. :)
    Bacon Jalapeño Cheese Sliders are also one of my faves.

9. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

At one point in my life, I was really, really bad with the fast food. Sometimes, twice a day. I was single and younger then, but even after I got married, I just sort of existed in a state of denial on how bad that stuff is. I didn't really suffer any acute health effects other than being a fat ass. Who knows if there are any lingering chronic conditions.

I quit fast food (along with sugary drinks, like Sprite) about six years ago and haven't been into one since. No emergency hunger late-night excuse, no road-trip excuse, no everyone's doing it excuse. I just don't do it - not even a little bit. I dropped a good amount of weight for my efforts.

I hate being preachy about it and I say this with peace and love... but most folks who eat that stuff more than once or twice a month need to take a serious look at why. There are better options available with a bit of planning, and a bit more discipline. Some body-types/physiques can get away with it more than others, that's for sure. But if you find yourself sitting there with fast-food crumbs all over your fat belly, you've got some work to do if you want to continue enjoying life. I speak from experience.

All that being said, I'm certainly against "government control" over these sorts of issues. Personal choice exists and people can do what they want. Continuing education on healthy eating, however, should remain a priority -- for a number of reasons.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

They are decent. But it depends which one you go to. Some places over cook it.

I had a bad experience with those. They were basically just regular chicken rings with a ton of ranch powder thrown on it. The ranch powder overwhelmed me. Don't know if they made it wrong or that's how it is.

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Depends on the location. Last time I got them they barely put any on at all and I had to ask for more. I like them with lots of ranch powder. Their seasonal fried shrimp is also delicious, but seafood season is over this year. It's all about the sriracha chicken right now.

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I tend to avoid fast food like the proverbial plague.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Heh.. Hungry Jacks.. someone has been to Australia! ;)

Ever since really finding Five Guys on the West coast, it's been a tossup for me between them and In-n-Out, even though I know that In-n-Out caters to a different crowd. Plus, Five guys is expensive for the ticket.

As we are contemplating a move to Portland, which our last chance for In-n-Out would be Redding, CA: 372 miles away. So Five Guys would win out there, with the exception of Burgerville. They are a local chain up there, which I would mainly go there for the chocolate hazelnut shakes, and the Walla Walla onion rings.

Again, all of this on the more-than-likely high cholesterol and fat level, but it tastes good. The big plus for me with In-n-Out: The fries. Most places use plain jane Idaho Russet potatoes for their stock of fries, and leave it to the seasoning, etc., to stand out. In-n-Out uses Kennebec potatoes, which have a completely different taste altogether.

We are definitely starting to eat out, let alone fast food, much less than we had before. We've been doing more healthier fares, especially with the fact that my wife wants to get back into powerlifting again.

So like most others, if we have to eat out, we'll make room in the diet for it, but mainly it would be Chipotle or Subway. But after working in fast food (hey, my first job was McDonalds), I have to agree.. it isn't healthy at all.

BL.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I only eat fast food when there is no alternative that doesn't risk food poisoning and dysentery. I will try to eat something that probably is super-heated and untouched by human hands. I've never gotten over home cooking-- fast food doesn't taste like food to me. I will go to any kind of food store and buy something real if that is an option.

15. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Proper hamburgers, with good meat patties and plenty of salad have long been available in my home country, Aotearoa, but they not really as fast food. They are cooked to order, and each joint has its own recipe.

The first MacDonalds opened back in the mid '70s, and I was going past, so decided to drop in and try one. What a disappointment….. that was my last experience of the brand.

KFC arrived, and I went there with some friends. Kind of edible, but not great. I have occasionally been in again, but certainly don't make a habit of it. The last time would have been at least five years ago, with a now ex-girlfriend here in Asia. Grilled chicken and sticky rice from a street hawker is half the price, and tastier.

There are other brands available, but I can't even think of the names of them. Fast food….. No thanks.

16. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

How do you tell a 5 year old no?

Easy " Honey! I don't want you getting diabetes and heart problems and being fat. So no "

Easy :)

17. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

Chicken Nuggets and Apples once or twice a month won't hurt her. Trust me she burns off more calories on the Playland than she takes in. She'll only be young once. Besides they have good coffee.

18. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Yeah, my parents where the same way.

Just don't let her turn it into a habbit as she gets older, its not good for anyone. Not good for me, or you, or any kid.

IF I ever had kids, they would never even taste it, the way they make their food is so bad.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Once in a blue moon. I had to this weekend since I was on a road trip (there really is nothing but fast food in BFE) but it will probably be the last time for quite awhile.

20. puma1552 macrumors 603

Everything in moderation. In fact, today was that moderation day at McDick's for my wife and I for the lunch hour.

It's easy to launch a campaign against anything - fat's bad for you, sugar's bad for you, gluten is bad for you, carbs are bad for you, fast food is bad for you, non-organic everything is bad for you, yadda yadda yadda.

Ignore it all and eat everything in moderation. Targeting anything in particular is stupid IMO.

21. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I do Chipotle or Qdoba a couple times a month.

I used to do fast food, a lot (like a meal a day) and I put on a bit of weight for it. Had kidney failure in 2005, and haven't done fast food in any real capacity outside of occasional Chipotle.

I've fallen back in love with cooking. I love experimenting in the kitchen. My roommates and GF and I have fun cooking together and experimenting with food from around the world.

I'm healthy, I'm happy, and I'm enjoying time with my friends and family. Win-win-win.

22. palmerc2 macrumors 68000

palmerc2

Every few months I'll have In-Out, or Chipotle but that's it.

As far as the major contenders such as mcdonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc etc....I can't remember the last time I've eaten there. I'd rather go hungry than eat that crap. I'm all about organic locally sourced privately owned restaurants.

23. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I lost my taste for burger joints. It's geared for an 8 year old.

24. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I eat fast food occasionally. It's not difficult for me to not eat it often, it tastes good but generally doesn't make me feel great. I even stay away from Subway now as I've noticed I feel a bit crappy an hour or two after eating it.

If I need a quick meal when I'm out, I'd go for a burrito or wrap or slice of pizza, but generally stay away from fast food burgers, fries, and fried chicken. Although it is common for me and my friends to go to McDonalds late at night if we've been out drinking a lot.

25. malman89 macrumors 68000

I needed two greasy McDoubles this morning to fend off a hangover from a wild night last night. Besides that, it was probably a month since I last had fast food. I've tried to get it out of my lifestyle.

I always bring my lunch to work, so I'm covered there. It's just those work 8:30-6p class 7-9:30p days where you try not to cave in during that 60-90 min window (less with travel) and go for fast food.