Do You ever miss the Simplicity of iOS3 or iOS4, or even iOS5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Aug 6, 2013.

?

Would You Prefer to Choose and Earlier iOS Version on your iPhone?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2013.
  1. No. iOS6 is fine and iOS7 will be an improvement.

96.8%
  2. Yes. I'd rather use an earlier iOS version on my iDevice.

3.2%
  1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

With iOS7 right around the corner and soon iOS6 will be in our rearview mirrors, do you ever miss the older iOS incarnations?

I got to thinking: Wouldn't it be kind of great if the iP5 had iOS5 or really, any combination of iPhone/iOS you could think of.

I know it's all progress, I get that- but the simplicity of earlier iOS versions were a delight and sometimes I honestly miss the ease of using them.

2. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

I want them to have ios 6 as a theme :( so yeah I would be sad about the 5S
    Now it would be very cool to use iOS 3 for super basic

3. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

No. I feel that thy have kept it sufficiently simple while adding meaningful functionality.

No comment on ios7 as I have not used that yet.

4. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Just looking back at the previous versions.. It's amazing how far ios has come.

I've been with the iPhone since day 1. When you couldn't send a picture or even set a wallpaper behind your icons. When jail breaking took you 30 minutes and wasn't this 1 click jailbreak that it is now.

But every year. Apple gave us a little more of what we have been wanting. copy and paste, notification center, email, picture messaging, and the list goes on.

Even with all these additions. Ios has remained simple
    The same can be said about ios 7. I've been using ios 7 since beta release. The first 2-3 days, it's a little hard getting used to. The different schemes and colors. But these changes really give the iphone a differently feel and takes it to a new level. I think iphone users are going to love it

5. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

thats why im buying a 4. Ios 4,5,6, and 7 support, and shsh blobs to downgrade :)

6. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i am not quite sure what is complicated about iOS 6 in the first place?

supposedly new versions are meant to ease the user experience not make it more complicated, in spite or because of the new features it adds.

7. xxray macrumors 6502

the only reason i would want to do that is to so my iDevice would run faster

8. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

I also enjoy iOS6. I was slightly projecting with iOS7. As a developer I loaded the beta 1; 2, and 3 and went back to stock iOS6 when the window opened for downloading 6.0 became available last week (for a jailbreak).

My favorite so far as been iOS5 and would love to operate it on an iP5.

9. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

whoa! i never said i enjoyed iOS 6. i just said i didnt find anything complicated about it :D

i cant comment on iOS 7 because i havent used it, but i can see how a beta version can frustrate you. having had a jailbroken device myself, it can be very high maintenance.

still, on the surface it would appear it will simplify stuff even more - for example with the new control center and stuff.

10. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

I enjoy anything new. I feel like iOS has gone through some major enhancements over its time but the look and feel always remained the same. The change in iOS 7 will be welcomed.

11. cynics macrumors G3

I actually think iOS can be so simple its difficult. I feel a lot of things are "work arounds".

Things that should be simple like attaching a file to an email is overly complicated and requires third party apps (sometimes more then one).

Or the mess called the camera roll. At least in iOS 6 you can't even see the date a picture was taken. Once again you might be able too with a third party app.

I'm all for simplicity however sometimes in the attempt for simplicity you leave out simple things thus making it more difficult.

12. xmaseve macrumors regular

13. nilzi macrumors regular

What I want to say is IOS 7 IOS almost has no improvements compares to IOS 6, I am very disappointed.:mad:

14. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Downgrade an already limited OS? No thanks. I wouldn't mind playing with an older firmware for nostalgia sake but never as a daily driver.

15. Spectrum Abuser, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I still consider iPhone OS 3 advanced.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Although I'm all for being able to run any OS version that is compatible with the device you have, as far as "simplicity", what exactly about more recent versions that gets rid of it compared to earlier versions? What's harder or less convenient when compared to earlier versions?

17. BMNEUR macrumors member

BMNEUR

I side with the future. If we sacrificed innovation for simplicity not many people would be buying an iPhone now then would they. In my opinion, Apple has struck a balance with innovation and simplicity and hopefully keeps it that way for years to come.