Do you ever wish the only option in Messages was "Photo Library"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Dec 20, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

When you click the camera to insert a pic, how often do you actually take a picture right there rather than use one from the library? I always have to stop and concentrate carefully on which I'm selecting and often accidentally select "Take Photo or Video". The reason for this is that several apps have these options in reverse order so I can never remember.

At the very least they should have an option to configure these settings - to make it so that you can choose which options it gives you when you click the camera.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

That's fine if you prefer it the way it is, but why would you be opposed to them giving those who don't the option to customize it to their preference?

4. Tyler23, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Because giving options for everything would make the device needlessly complicated. You'd spent your whole day in Settings trying to get things to work, and half the time you'd miss out on features because you would never know they exist.

In theory you're right, lots of options would be great. But not at the expense of actual usability especially to save yourself a half a second to select the right button.

And to answer your question, no, I've never wished for that. I am quite happy the way it is.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It isn't as much that I am opposed to it as I am not advocating for it.
    I prefer simplicity over complexity when it comes to customization options, one reason I prefer iOS over Android.
    I feel it is a very minor thing that doesn't warrant another level of complexity.

6. cmdrdredd macrumors member

Complicated? If changing a setting in the preferences to turn the camera off if you choose is too complicated you have no business using a smart phone.

7. Bardipod macrumors newbie

I agree, but the people on this site are mindless Apple fanboys that think that having options is bad.
    They should move to North Korea if they like being controlled so much.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm not talking about this one setting. :rolleyes:

This is more a post for the OP who seems to find lots of issues with iOS. To solve them, you would have to implement many, many settings. Adding a setting to change every aspect of the usage would get complicated. I'm not saying that iOS as it currently is or with a few changes is too complicated for me. :rolleyes:

My point is that you have to stop somewhere. If there was a setting for literally everything, then he's, it would be too complicated for the average consumer.

9. cmdrdredd macrumors member

No it's not that. It's the idea that adding options equates with making things complicated on a device that by it's very nature is a complicated piece of technology already that I disagree with.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There are plenty of options. "Photo Library" and "Take Photo or Video, as well as the most recently taken photos at the top. What's the issue?

11. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm saying that I wish I could have the option to remove the "Take Photo or Video" which I constantly click by accident rather than "Photo Library" since they are in different order on several apps.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The order is probably because photo library should be right below the most recently taken photos at the top. Not really their fault if third-party apps are inconsistent in how they're ordered. You'd just have to do a better job of remembering.

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Well in iOS it used to be the second (middle) option. I think that is what has thrown me off the most.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you count the most recently taken photos at the top, photo library is still the second option. Try to look at it this way.

15. azhava macrumors regular

Not all the time, but often enough that I certainly want the option available.

Sounds like the third-party apps should do a better job of standardizing so they're in the same order as iOS. Third-party should have to adapt to Apple's standards rather than vice-versa.

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I use "Take Photo or Video" and "Photo Library" pretty much 50/50, so I prefer the way it works.

17. Paco II macrumors 65816

Could you imagine what the Settings app would look like if there was a setting for everything people on MR said there should be a setting for?

18. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Honestly, I think an option to remove an option in this case is a bit silly; however, options organized under their respective apps within settings really aren't that confusing. I think it would be cool if Apple offered an optional advanced settings app similar to the old Windows tweak ui power toy. It could expose hundreds of additional settings that most users wouldn't need to care about or see.