Do you feel you own a stop gap product (4S)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Nov 12, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

With all the rumours indicating the 4S was not supposed to launch and the Iphone 5 was delayed do you feel you own a stop gap product?

We all know Apple traditionally keep designs for a few years without changing them but by the sounds of it if they could have rolled out a 4" screen Iphone by summer this year they would have?

I can't help but thinking the 4S was never in the calendar to be released and somebody at Apple realised the delay and looked at the 4 and said well let's put an 8MP camera in it and sell it as it is? For all we know Siri may have been for IOS5 Ipad 2 and Iphone 5?

From a fashion point of view I do feel I own an Iphone 4 shame they never made something different about it. I know some people don't care about fashion but for some people they don't want to hold last years phone.

Plus I mean is it not almost certain they will go 4" now in fear of Android running away with things? By the time the 4S is a year old there's a risk it could be where the 3GS was and it needed a major update. I prefer 3.5" as I don't like big phones.

But I'd relax more knowing the Iphone 4S was meant to be released but my incling reading rumour sites like this is the Iphone 5 was actually meant to be released. But seeing how well the 4S has sold so far would Apple have made a mistake ditching the current model too soon?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

? I think we all knew this now. Because most people get upgrades every 2 years they do a big upgrade (the solid number 3g, 4g) and a spec bump and OS/voiceover/siri upgrade on the other year. This put people on one of the upgrade wagons. You are an S person or a solid number person.

3. OSMac macrumors 65816

Can't expect a home run, big changes, with every Apple release.
    iPhone 4 is the best phone in the market, if you dont think so dont buy it?

Next iPad will not be the retina display everyone hopes for either...

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

A. I don't think the 4S was produced because the 5 was delayed, I think we got the planned iPhone

B. I am not convinced the iPhone screen size will change with the next iPhone

C. I don't care whether people can tell if I have an iPhone 4 or 4S

5. noobinator macrumors 601

Sadly you are probably right about the next iPad. Why pump all the extra $ into the device when it's already blowing away competition and selling like hot cakes? Once/if a competitor starts to gain ground, Apple will trickle some extras to us that we want. That's the benefit of being number 1 though. It's the Apple way. :apple:

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Sure do, the 4s was a back out plan.

There was a lot to get in order before Steve's passing. It would have been nice to have launched the 5 for him.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

In technology, all products are "stop gap" products. New capabilities & features are always "just around the bend". Apple had to make decisions over what features they could include in the new phone and keep it at the $649/$199 price point, the 4S is the result.

Some decide to spring for it, some decide to wait. I can see both sides. When my 3G was eligible for upgrade the 3GS had been out a few months, I just waited and got a 4. 3GS was a good phone but my 3G worked fine so I chose to skip a level.

This time around I got the 4S because my wife wants my 4. You contemplate your choices and you make your decision. There will ALWAYS be something "Better" around the bend, you just have to decide when it's time for you to make your move - and get the best product for your needs at that point.

8. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

But the rumours of ordering only started before the summer IOS5 preview. :confused:

9. moargolems macrumors regular

Why everyone is constantly saying that iPhone 5 was delayed? That ****ing thing doesn't even exist.

If it's Apple, nothing is ever delayed, because they don't hand out release dates.

10. noobinator macrumors 601

They are simply saying that they believe Apple internally believed they could release the phone this year and did not make their internal deadline.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Many anticipated the 5. Then with a delayed release most felt there would be a new phone. When there were a handful of rumors about the 5 many felt the 3G to 3Gs scenario was going to repeat itself with the 4 to 4s.

My believe is there would have been a 5 if Steve was healthy.

12. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I like my 4S so don't really care about the next phone till apple announces it, what I do think is that they need to come out with a better. Maybe new technology battery , I'm ok with my battery life but if apple put LTE on the sucker will definitely be doomed, I have own different 4G phones ( evo, epic, thunderbolt , nexus s 4g and evo 3d) and battery sucks if you want to use 4g,which doesn't make sense of you have 4g why wouldn't I use it

13. moargolems macrumors regular

And what would it have? Teardrop design? A bigger screen? A huge capacitive homebutton? 18 megapixel camera? Holographic display? A money printer?

The rumors were overexaggarated and Apple had NO reason to give up the beautiful design of the iPhone 4.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Nope. I feel that I have the latest iPhone and it's a nice step up from the 3GS I carried for over 2 years.

15. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Actually I think the screens on the phones are beginning to get way too big. Big does not always equate better. They should rather focus on improving the battery life.

16. Ant.honey macrumors regular

You may have a stop gap phone, but like has been said, they always do this.

I have a 4 and would like to have an S if that makes you feel any better.

Enjoy what you have. The 4S is better in many ways than the 4. When the 5 comes out, buy that. You can't have something that doesn't exist.

17. Montanan macrumors member

Given the pace at which consumer technology moves nowadays, every single tech product that gets released is a stopgap one ... but only if you take a glass-half-empty view of life and choose to look at it that way. The iPhones are no different.

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Don't know what it would have. A larger screen would be nice. 18 megapixel camera, nah an 8 would suffice, perhaps a captive home button.

Design,well no one guessed the iPhone 4 design last year.

19. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yes. The 4S is a minor upgrade from the 4.

But I needed to buy something. Been eligible for upgrade since June 2011. And sold my iPhone 4 for $500 back in the summer.

So afraid of Samsung phones (lack of android updates for USA customers). Looks like they completely abandon the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant less than 7 months after its release.

Updates with android are horrible with Samsung. Blame the carriers. Blame Samsung. Ultimately Samsung is to blame.

20. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Every new product is nothing but a stop gap until the next, that's business for you.

21. MRiOS macrumors regular

I'm perfectly satisfied with my 4S and to be honest, it because I look at it and feel that it's the refined version of the iPhone 4 (which it is). They took what they learned from the iPhone 4 design and tweaked it for the better.

Every time they roll something out with a new design, I feel as though anyone who buys that brand new design is basically beta testing for a company. It's not until its out in the general public getting far wider usage conditions than could be replicated in a lab or small testing group that the true bugs come out. This is why I feel that the updates after that initial design change are better.

No, I don't feel I have a stop-gap device.

22. OneOkami Guest

Nice to see I'm not alone in that. I have an HTC Droid Incredible which has a smaller screen than a lot of more recent phones have. But when I see those phones, the larger screen, while I guess is nice for the app real estate, makes the phone look a little too bulky for me. I like how my phone feels nice and compact, and am happy with the size.

And I agree with you about the battery life. I'd much rather have a smartphone that can run for days without recharging than one with a large screen.

23. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Indeed we don't need them much bigger now there's tablets.

24. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

First, it's not a "stop gap" the 4S is essentially just as big of an increase over the 4 as the 3GS was over the 3G. (It's not just an 8mp camera...)

For some reason a lot of people get so bent out of shape about re-designs. Apple could probably have released an iPhone 4 with a new case and more people would have been content because... they think a redesign makes the phone better?

Instead apple released an iPhone 5 with essentially the same case as the iPhone 4. Really the only two things rumored for the 5 over what we got in the 4S was a redesigned case and a 4" screen. The case has absolutely NO affect on the devices performance, it's purely aesthetic so no harm done there. So essentially the only thing keeping your 4S from being your iPhone 5 is a 4" screen.... yeah HUGE stop gap device there.

Also, WHY do people keep calling it the iPhone 5? The iPhone 4S is the FIFTH iPhone, therefore 4S=5. Next years iPhone will not be called the iPhone 5, if anything it would be called the iPhone 6, but we really have no way of knowing... the most logical reasoning would be to think apple would add some type of 4G nomenclature to the next iPhone assuming it has LTE support.