Do you find on the white i5 that the aluminum is too shiny?

tymaster50

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
New Jersey
You don't really get that silver look unless you angle it away. If you don't then it just looks like white on... well slightly darker white

TheDLade

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
You don't really get that silver look unless you angle it away. If you don't then it just looks like white on... well slightly darker white
That's why I went for the black, shiny at the sides at all angles and has a blue dark knight batman tone to it...

Scuffgate(at least for me) also doesn't exist, dropped it many times, scratched at it and still nothing

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
What about the edges (white iPhone 5)? They seemed quite shiny, mirror-like, under the lights at the Apple store...is that the case everywhere? It was a bit distracting.

tymaster50

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
New Jersey
What about the edges (white iPhone 5)? They seemed quite shiny, mirror-like, under the lights at the Apple store...is that the case everywhere? It was a bit distracting.
when you actually hold it up to your face you can't see the edges, it's only if you look at it from an angle where you can clearly see the sides.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
when you actually hold it up to your face you can't see the edges, it's only if you look at it from an angle where you can clearly see the sides.
Just to be clear, you're talking about the chamfer edge that surrounds the display right?

hachiman

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
The black iPhone gives it a sleek, stealthy look. The white iPhone gives it a luxurious eye-catching look.

The white/slate iPhone, when viewed at an angle, it's white and bright. And when viewed at another angle, it gives it a darker gray look that contrasts the white ceramic glass (top/bottom). I love it.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
LOVE the white and silver...not a fan of the black and deep blue
Had every intention of getting the black until I saw the white in store. I feel the black is, well, just "Meh". It needed the silver band around it. Now it just looks like a multitude of other phones. The white is stunning and more "Apple" IMO.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
That chamfer has a mirror finish and will naturally reflect bright light when at the angle that allows it. It was obvious to me seeing the white phones in the store display.

Sometimes it's all about the light. Have you ever driven in a car while the sun starts to rise in front of you? Even the matte black asphalt on the road gets super-bright.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.