Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pd1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
San Diego, CA
With the new home button? I find myself having trouble using it - specifically getting the timing right. More often than not I activate Siri and while speaking I get, "sorry, I didn't get that," or some other garbage. It even happens when I say a really short command, like "open Yelp," or something similar. It's pretty frustrating. Out of frustration I just enabled hey siri lol.

It's just a little annoying. I don't use it all that much anyway since Siri is pretty useless and not very smart (opinion), and only use it to open apps one-handedly while driving or something.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
What's Siri? I kid, but I rarely use it. I mean barely at all. First if I want to make an appointment, say a follow up at a doctor, I don't want to be at the counter and be like "oh ok sure that date should work but shhhhhhhh hold on, hey siri set an appointment at XX:XX for X date". Dunno it just still feels weirds and even when I do it out in the car it seems like I always have to alter something (thinking calendar appointments) that I have to go back in and edit. Like the title, notes, what calendar group I want it under. Also I don't trust siri enough to say "hey siri, text Bob bla bla bla" and then just put my wrist down. I end up spending more time making sure it actually says what I said and sends before I put my wrist down.

With the new home button I haven't had any accidental siri activations though. Isn't there an option to turn siri off?

l3uddz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
last couple of days, ive had it where ive asked siri a question and it just spins indefinitely trying to interpret what i said, anyone else had this issue?

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I find it more difficult to use too. I'm not sure if it was an iOS 10 change, or the new button. Coming from an iPhone 6, I like the always available "hey siri" activation, so I use that more.

Hate to say this. But it is never as good as google voice. I stopped using Siri a long time ago.

I agree that Google's AI has better recognition. Too bad there's no way to integrate it with iOS beyond their web search app. It's mostly pointless for me to use in iOS.

Pd1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
San Diego, CA
yeah I noticed this, and it's been bugging me

I press the button and the first thing it says is "I didn't get that"

Literally the same thing happens to me!
[doublepost=1476815666][/doublepost]
Hate to say this. But it is never as good as google voice. I stopped using Siri a long time ago.
Yeah, Google's is way better. The voice recognition and the information provided are way better than Siri

Gzalito

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
IOS 9: Just press home button 3 secs, release and speak

IOS 10: Now u have to press and KEEP PRESSING till you finished...

thats the issue

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Coming from an iPhone 6, I find I use siri much more, now that I can freely do "Hey Siri" whenever I'm driving. No real issues calling her up by voice or by touch.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Last time I used Siri I asked if the name of the song on the radio. In fact, I think that's the only thing I've used it for in the past few years.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
IOS 9: Just press home button 3 secs, release and speak

IOS 10: Now u have to press and KEEP PRESSING till you finished...

thats the issue
I don't have to do that. I just press and release and she still listens. No Problems with that at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.