Do you find that Siri is often times painfully slow to use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I just said launch Safari and it took 18 seconds. Sometimes when I say it it takes a lot less time than that.

Just seems inconsistent.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes it's been happening off and on in the UK too. My guess would be they are tweaking the database and making changes in the background...It;s not a fault with your phone or iPad.

3. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Yeah I've noticed that. To add to that, today I tried calling my father, which we have a complicated Polish last name. On voice commands (on iPhone 4) it would understand it, and sometimes Siri has understood it. Today it was all over the map saying she can't find Jason hi Katie.

4. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Not until iOS 6.

Sometimes I'll use my ipad 3, it works great, second later switch to iphone 5 and Siri crawls.

I think it's because iOS 6 let ipad 3 owners have Siri, and millions bought the iphone 5 which has Siri, and apple is just getting slammed. I expect it to get worse when the iPod touch 5G starts making its way into people's hands.

It was like this last year for about a month after I got the 4S though so hopefully it'll get better again over time :/

5. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Siri likes to go slow for me when I'm demonstrating it to someone.

The rest of the time when I'm alone it works perfectly!

Maybe it hates me lol

6. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Siri is server based. You speak, it is sent to the server, who when it is your turn tries to interpret what you are wanting to do and then send back the proper information. If you have poor signal or the server is busy touching the ICON only takes a second!:eek:

7. Moneymiike420 macrumors regular

Haha same here dude

8. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Why not set an alias? Call my father would be easier.

9. dndandrea macrumors 6502

Seems to work fine for me over wifi but when i use with over 3G, 4G, or LTE it doesn't do anything for a good minute before it responds to my question.

10. The New iPad macrumors regular

Ugh, you're one of those people.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I feel like since IOS6 siri works about 50% of the time. Half the time I ask it to do something I just get the spinning orb that never does anything and I have to try again.

12. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Short answer: Yes.

I was messing around last night and said "What's up Siri?"..

It took her 25 seconds to respond "Hi".

13. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

When iOS 6 was released, I felt Siri was so quick and responsive. In the last few days though, I have noticed that she's on and off in response time. Hopefully just some server-side changes.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Agreed, sometimes I wonder if she's mad at me. :p

15. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

I have noticed that lag seems worse at peak commute times on the East coast. Could be a coincidence, but it may be related.

16. MacBreezy macrumors regular

Very slow for me as well. Most of the time there is a long delay or she just plain won't respond. It's a great feature when it actually works...

17. urkel macrumors 68030

I dont mind when Siri craps out on fetching a web related request. But what gets me is when its a local command like "Read my messages", "Add Applesauce to shopping list" or "Open Notes". Its very inefficient to have all commands get sent out rather than having the basic ones handled internally.

18. tucker3434, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

tucker3434 macrumors regular

Is Siri always this slow?

Oops. Didn't see this thread already open. In short, yes, Siri occasionally takes forever to answer a simple question. Then occasionally answers wrong.

19. hachiman macrumors regular

Yes. It's annoying. Sometimes I had to restart my iPhone or iPad and it works fine, it 5 minutes mater I turn it back for sleep and its slow again. They were on a fast wifi too.

20. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Yes seems very slow lately ... Demo to some S3 owners on the new iPhone 5 and they were laughing at me

21. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Yeah idk what it is, sometimes it takes her forever to do something simple and then I restart and she does it right away. Typical woman