Do you find the rMBP 15 too large for daily carry?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johngwheeler, Apr 26, 2015.

?

Do you find the rMBP 15 too heavy/large for daily carry?

1. No, I am happy to carry it around for several hours a day

55 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Maybe, it's a bit heavy but OK in a back pack.

39 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. Yes, it's too large & heavy for me to carry around every day.

35 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

Just wondering whether those of you with a rMBP 15 who carry it every day, find it a bit too heavy / large for comfort?

E.g.

Do you find it too heavy for a standard laptop / shoulder bag if you carry it for more than 30 minutes?

Is it too big / heavy to use on your lap?

Is it too big to fit in airline trays / trains / a bar-top etc.?

2. Roadking714 macrumors regular

3. Acronyc macrumors 6502

No, no, and yes, except I'm sure it will be usable on a bar top

4. roncron macrumors member

5. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

It was fine when I was in college, but now that I'm out in the real world I'd much rather have a desktop at home and something small like an MB to carry with me out and about.

6. LxHunter macrumors 6502

I tried that: iMac and MBA.
    Got tired of maintaining 2 machines.
    So I removed a few pounds of stuff from laptop bag
    And lug the 15 everywhere.

Don't use in planes, trains, automobiles.
    Drink scotch and read a paper book or The Economist.
    Or sleep.

7. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

Depends on your body, if you're 6 foot and more, no, if you're short like me then yell yes.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Back in 2013 when I first bought 2012 15" rMBP and it is like lighter than my old 2007 15" MBP. but now it has been almost 2 years now I feel it is heavy for me to carry around I use it with messenger bag (shoulder sore) and now I bought new padded backpack it is bit ok but still heavy. I wish I should have ordered 13" MacBook Air but it is not very powerful and lack of retina display I need for video editing (FCPX) and photo editing (Photoshop CS6). So I am thinking about used MBA like 2010 model just for going out. But in the future I might get an iMac so I don't know what should I do with two laptops?!? :apple:

9. David58117 macrumors 65816

I bought an 11" for that very reason.

Rather than getting an iMac, why not use the pro in clamshell mode and just get a display?

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I regarded my 15" rMBP as a portable desktop, which is why I got a 13" rMBP and later replaced the 15" with an actual desktop (27" iMac). The 13" is lighter, smaller, and easier to carry around.

11. newellj macrumors 601

That was basically what happened to my 15".

12. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

For me, the 15" rMBP is just fine for traveling and carrying in a backpack. I can use it on planes, but I usually use my iPad instead and save my laptop for in the terminals where I can plug it in.

13. abta1 macrumors 6502

I used to have a 2011 15" MBP and although it was a great machine, it just wasn't portable enough for me at the time as I was carrying to work and back a lot. For that reason I switched to an 11" MBA (the complete other end of the spectrum :D ) as I realised that all my heavy work was done on my workstation at the office.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't but then, I switched to a surface pro and found that I now carry a tablet with the power/flexibility of a laptop. I'd often say how my 15" wasn't a problem mobility wise, but I am enjoying the ease of traveling I now enjoy :)

15. Patrick-Photo macrumors regular

I voted for maybe, mainly because it al depends on how long, how far, and how you need to carry it. Also on your posture and overall health (back issues/strong back, etc.)

I can comfortably carry it around for a college day (20 minute bicycle ride, 5-6 hours of colleges and a return ride home).

16. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

I need the power of a desktop anyway for my projects that use fcp x, adobe apps, davinci, etc.

and i'd get a thin client like the retina MB basically as a glorified iPad

17. campyguy macrumors 68030

My 15" rMBP is so light and almost not large enough! Then again, I'm 6'7", 250# - and a few years ago I thought my 17" MBP was just about the right size!

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I never heard of clamshell mode and not sure what is this for and how it work. :apple:

19. johngwheeler thread starter macrumors 6502

It's where you plug-in the laptop into an external display and then close it. The computer will not sleep in this mode, and continuous to display on the external display while disabling the internal one.

This can be useful if you want to use an external keyboard as well, and wish to place the laptop somewhere where it occupies less space, such as in a "laptop stand", or under a display shelf.

In theory you can drive a bigger (or multiple) displays in this mode, because the GPU doesn't have to drive the internal panel as well.

20. vbedia macrumors regular

I carry it every single day in my backpack. It is not as light as a feather i will give you that. But it is not something I am bothered with.

21. jsagurton macrumors member

Hmm... I carry around a mid-2010 17" MBP all day without issue, although I do keep it in a backpack, and I largely bounce short distances from classroom to classroom, or to a corner store or something. I don't usually (almost never) go on trains, planes, etc.

So, for me a 15" rMBP would be a lot more portable than my current machine. Hahaha.

22. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

Goes with me every day to work, meetings, backpack when I ride my motorcycle. I've no problems toting it around. Then again, I never had an issue with the 17" MacBook Pro's either.

23. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I see does it get warm when the lid is closed because the display still on? And USB keyboard to plug in rMBP? What about bluetooth keyboard? Will it work when the lid is closed?

Thank you :apple:

24. David58117 macrumors 65816

The laptop display doesn't stay on in clamshell mode.

The whole point is to be able to leave it connected via hdmi or display port, and use external (Bluetooth or wired) keyboard and mouse. I had my 15" classic this way for months at a time.

It doesn't get anymore warmer than from usual use.

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

My gf is a very petite woman and carries a 15" cMBP every day with no problems or complaints. It seems like ever since the rMB came out, people act like a 3 or 4 laptop is some terrible burden. Kinda funny IMO.