do you get freaked out knowing you dont know who you were related to in 950AD?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iOrlando, Dec 15, 2009.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

Its a freaky thought...but i would venture to say that most people if not all people dont know who their relatives were in say 900AD - 1100AD. Or said in another way...picture your offspring in year 3000 not ever knowing that you existed even though you helped to create them.

assuming you had 3 kids and your offspring had 2 kids each each generation, you would be partly responsible for 768 human beings by the 10th generation.

You ever think about that?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah I am pretty freaking pissed off because I'd also like to know who is skimping on the bday presents.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

It does hurt your head when you think about it, but I figure, we're all related if you go back to the beginning anyways. :D

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope. Don't know who my relatives in 950 were, don't really care either. Would be nice to know but I won't lose any sleep over it.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I wish more people would think before they start popping out children.
    The long term effects are pretty dire.

6. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

i wonder why family trees/heritage was never really treasured during the ages. was it that wars and constant movement just made it difficult to keep track? or people just dont care...i mean its interesting...but if you found out who you were related to in 950AD what would you do about it? There seems to be a reinsurgance in that kind of stuff lately but you can only go back so far before it just gets hard.

Maybe its easier for non-americans? where immigration wasnt as big of an issue? for many americans..their roots just seem to stop at ellis island with the name changing and such.

though about it a little more...all you needed was one baby to be orphaned or involved in some freak sword accident and the family tree would have been lost forever...

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'd only care if it turned out I was heir to the throne of England.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Since true paternity is often in question, who truly knows all the branches of the family tree?

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This nice man emailed me and told me I'm the only living heir to the throne of Nigeria and I can claim my multi million dollar inheritance by sending him my bank account and PIN numbers.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How cool, I got the same. We must be separated at birth.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes I do think of this kind of thing, and I've always wanted to get my mitochondrial DNA checked to get some inkling of where I came from.

12. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Those are scams, don't do them unless you want to loose your entire bank account

13. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I actually dug into my family tree back to about 1600 using Ancestry.com and some resources my family had. You'd be amazed how far back you can get if you try. I had to cancel my subscription to Ancestry.com though as it was becoming very addicting... they keep your tree intact though so you can continue it if/when you come back which is nice. They also have a ton of old scanned documents. Very interesting to see grandparents and great grandparents on a census or military card.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

DUH

Do you have proof of this or do you just come onto Internet boards and spout nonsense?

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Really? Link?

16. Queso macrumors G4

This is something I've personally thought through. Not only will there come a point where I cease to exist, there will come another point a few decades later where everyone that knew me ceases to exist, and another point a few decades after that where nobody will care that I ever existed at all. Even my grave will become forgotten.

And I'm glad to say I don't really care that much. I won't even notice as I'll be dead :)

The truth is, unless you're lucky enough to be a Shakespeare, great enough to be a Ghandi or evil enough to be a Hitler you're not getting into the history books. Deal with it.

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Really? :confused:
    Because the email I received last year was like totally legit and the daughter (of a minister who cannot be named) was true to her word and deposited $****** into my account. (I blanked the actual sum because I do not want the IRS on my tail.)

I certainly would recommend to all my friends to follow up on these emails.
    YMMV, of course.

You are really, really missing out on one of life's great opportunities by not replying to these emails.
    Would you turn down the Spanish lottery tickets as well?

You're going to have a grave?
    Just going up in smoke for me thanks. :D

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I hope not. I already sent him all my info. If this is real, I'm gonna be rich!!!!!

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Some people get all the luck. :(

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

In all fairness there wasn't much to record stuff with back then. We have photos my great-great-great grandparents and we can trace our family back to the 1700's (back to a chap called Edmund, of all people ;)) but it all ends there.

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Wow. Edmund the Martyr of East Anglia? Impressive.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, and let me add could care less which I'm in that category. Does it really matter I know the name of my ancestors who lived in Ireland 1000AD?

I'd rather look forward to the future not behind in the past, especially the distant past

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

From what I've see so far I'm a little disappointed, this is great if your family has been in the US for a while, but I'm 2nd generation, so I'm not learning anything I didn't already know.

24. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

My uncle did a bit of genealogy, and he could trace back one branch of our family to a farm in the West of Germany that was already mentioned in documents from around 1000AD. Actually he and my father were born only a few kilometers from that place.

Regarding your arithmetics - my ancestors from that farm 1000 years ago lived 33 generations before me, assuming that 1 generation = 30 years. With each generation that I go back in time, the number of ancestors roughly doubles (2 parents, 6 parents + grand parents, 14 p+gp+ggp, 2^(n+1)-2 for the nth generation before me). That makes a mind-boggling 17 billion people over 33 generations, more than currently living on earth!

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

fixed

othwerwise, makes noooo sense