Do you go "Green"? What's your story?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Jan 21, 2009.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

I've changed all my incandescent lights to compact flourescent a long time ago. Though I thought of it as "energy saving", it was really mostly because I got sick of changing the light bulbs. :eek: I mean I have bought a couple at a whopping $40 at the time...and I'm not sure that really pays off for the electricity savings.

This article I just found seems get me thinking that we will be having another phase of lighting change coming soon.

[FONT=&quot]LED Maker Cree Posts 24% Gain In Second Quarter.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]EETimes[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (1/21, McGrath) reports, "Light-emitting diode (LED) maker Cree Inc. posted a 24 percent year-over-increase in revenue for the fiscal second quarter," according to company reports. Cree's "net income was up from $6.6 million, or 8 cents per diluted share, in the second quarter of fiscal 2008." Chuck Swoboda, Cree chairman and CEO, added, "In the third quarter of fiscal 2009, we expect that lower demand for our products in consumer, mobile and automotive applications will be partially offset by growth in LED sales for commercial lighting applications." In the coming year, Swoboda said, the company is "targeting that LED lighting adoption will continue to gain momentum as product availability increases and recognition of the benefits grows from new installations like the Federal Reserve and the planned Pentagon renovation." [/FONT]
    Are you excited about the new lighting? Or have you already started?

Discuss...:)

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

LED lighting is cool and all but changing out those pear shaped bulbs for CFLs or LEDs is simply picking the low hanging fruit.

Reducing your electrical use is more important and that means a lot of things like better insulation, not leaving infrequently used "quick start" electronics plugged in, etc. I really doubt we can "consume" our way out of our wasteful habits. It'll take frugality and common sense.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

$40???

I just bought a 4-pack of CFLs for like $2. PG&E was running a promotion, but even without the incentive, CFLs aren't that expensive anymore.

As for LEDs, we'll see how that progresses. In certain applications, LEDs make a lot of sense. For normal light bulb replacement in everyday usage, not so much. The cost for a warm white light LED is still quite high. LEDs are much better (at this point) in applications where the light is colored. Exit signs, for instance, are almost all LED-based at this point because red LEDs are quite cheap.

There are several other promising lighting technologies on the horizon as well. This company is supposedly going to produce flat fluorescent lights that would replace the 2x2 and 2x4 lay-in fixtures that are omnipresent in suspended ceiling systems.

If you read through the article at that link, you'll also see some of the other types of light fixtures that could replace today's incandescent lights. The bulb that is similar to a CRT is quite interesting.

Of note, GE (the company founded upon Edison's invention of the incandescent light) has ceased R&D into incandescent technology.

4. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

My house has essentially all florescent lighting (except for little-used lights like the back porch light), and we recently replaced all our windows with triple-pane windows that not only cut heat loss, but also reduce outside noise substantially. :)

I'd love to try LED lights but they are just a bit too expensive for my use currently. :(

I'd love to ride my bicycle to work but between the winter rains and the 35+ °C. summer heat in my area it may not be such a practical idea. I might consider getting a Kymco People S 125 scooter, which gets around 75-80 miles per US gallon fuel economy, for this purpose. :)

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I'd buy a houseful of LED lights if they weren't so expensive right now. Fairly new tech and all (well at least the idea of putting them in light bulbs). That being said, I'll wait until they get a bit more powerful and cheaper.

I would love to have my ceilings papered with this stuff:
    OLED wallpaper

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

We went with LED Christmas lights on the house this last year. I like the look of them better. The fact that they are a cheaper to light (because we have a lot of them) was very nice too.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I ran across a news story a month or so ago (can't seem to find it now for some reason) that claimed LED prices for the warm white types would drop at least 40% over the next 1-2 years; which would put them close to reasonably priced over their lifespan compared to CFLs.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

As Mactastic said, PGE here in California is subsidizing them. It's a lot cheaper to throw a few million at lightbulbs than it is to build new powerplants.

Does Alabama have any energy saving subsidies?

9. pooky macrumors 6502

1. CFLs
    2. Bike to work, grocery store, most other things within a 5 mile radius.
    3. Phosphorus-free coconut-based detergents
    4. 60-65 mph on cruise control in the slow lane
    5. Compost heap (coming in the next 3-6 months)
    6. I'm also in the business, and have spent a fair amount of time educating impressionable young minds. Does that count? Does it still count if I had to drive to get there.
    7. I rarely climate-control the entire house. Instead I heat/cool just the room I am in.
    8. Cornstarch-based plastic dog waste bags (had to throw that in, the dogs were feeling left out).
    9. Locally-grown food as much as possible. This will have to change in a few months when I move from a climate with a 12-month growing season to one with a 9 month frost season.

Think that's it. Many of the other things I could do cost more money than I have (better windows/insulation, better car, etc.)

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

1. CFLs.
    2. Upgraded HVAC to new Energy Saver system, programmable thermostat.
    3. Bike to work. And, mostly garaged the CJ-7.
    4. Cloth shopping bags.
    5. "smart" UPS and power-strips.
    6. Water-saving devices: toilet, water-heater, shower-heads.
    7. Water collecting system w/ drip irrigation.
    8. New oven, Energy Saver. And, plans to replace appliances when necessary.
    9. Gray-water friendly detergents, cleaners, etc.
    10. Garden.

*Future plans: new windows and doors.
    **Future future plans: solar array.

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

You're kidding, right? Some parts of the state don't even have electricity yet. They're in the really, really poor counties, but still.

We have an option to buy electricity generated from switchgrass instead of whatever for an extra $6/100 kWh. I don't see the point really as our local power is hydro (14 of the 20 plants in the state are hydro, 1 is nuclear). If the goal is saving money, then this idea fails.

The only real incentive program they run is that they'll give you a new water heater for free if you switch over from natural gas, which is becoming increasingly harder to find in recent construction as it's not needed here as much as other places.

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I catch the train and/or ride my bike everywhere, have a rainwater tank for flushing toilets and watering, and I pee on the tomato plants and citrus trees in the garden.

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Ah Fanny Cradock's good old "Madam's Tonic".

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

in me an my colleagues flat sharing flat we managed to reduce our electricity usage each year by roughly 10% over the last 3 years despite having added more devices
    biggest part of that: energy saving light bulbs and switching off lights when not in use in other room

and more energy efficient computers, LCDs replacing big CRT computer screens

also for heating: wearing sweaters and second pair of socks in winter helps a lot

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Don't use dryers, just rack dry my clothes.
    Don't buy products encased in excessive packaging.
    Bring cloth shopping bags.
    CFLs.
    cloth diapers with flushable inserts (part of the time, at least)
    public transportation (don't own car)

Could be doing a whole lot more.

16. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I have a light in my tiny porch which only goes on for a minute or so at a time, whilst putting on/taking off shoes. I still use a regular bulb as I heard the energy saving type use a lot to get going, so you need to use them for a bit (30 mins?) to appreciate the savings. Anybody know if this is true, or is it something from old that the new technology has replaced?

17. garybUK Guest

garybUK

My company that i work for gave every customer (about 19m of them) 4 free Philips Energy Saving bulbs.

We use Energy Saving bulbs in all the lamps that can take them (most are 12v halogen spot lights).

* Turn down heating a few degrees
    * Insulate the loft
    * Dry clothes on the radiators instead of using the tumble dryer
    * Put a standby saver on all the tv's (when you switch the tv off it powers everything else off so they aren't in standby)
    * We have 4 wheely bin's that the council collect for our recycling
    Blue bin = paper + cardboard
    Green/Red Bin = Plastic bottles + plastic wrapping + Glass
    Brown Bin = Organic Waste
    Black Bin = generic waste
    * Got a diesel car instead of a petrol.
    * Car share going into work.
    * Unplug stuff when not using them.
    * Wear a jumper instead of turning central heating on sometimes :)

18. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Philips do fast-start energy saving bulbs, they just need time to heat up.
    The price of LED bulbs will come down as it gets more common, this happened to Energy Saving ones.

19. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I live in a rented flat which is listed with original sash windows, my electricity bill (no gas as communal building) trebles in the winter months! We don't have a central thermostat either so it is annoying at night having to turn each radiator down.

We try and wear jumpers rather than turning the heating up too, and it is nice snuggling up on the sofa with a blanket. I think though many people are just lazy and want to be able to lounge around all year in their T-Shirts, it is an attitude that needs to be changed!

I remember when I was a kid my Dad refused to put the central heating on until October the 1st, no matter how cold it was!

20. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

What kind of bulbs are those? Are they those long ones that you put in this large rectangular box?

I prefer the "daylight" bulbs myself so maybe that's why they costed that much. The last ones I got were these that were a little under $10 each.
    http://www.nolico.com/saveenergy/23_watt_mini_swirl.htm

I guess the warm white ones must be more popular since it matches closer to incandescent ones so they mass produce it in China or something prolly. Because I know "warm white" florescents weren't normal back then.

Must be the mass production effect. The way it works I believe is that once they invented the blue LED, they can use the read and green material with it sort of like creating a "pixel" to give you an RGB. So I suppose it's a matter of how much you use of each to "tune" it to difference colors. So I guess they figured that there will be a bigger market for incan-look-a-like LED bulbs so they can make large quantities of it without too much risk of over-stock and government incentives will help too.