Do you guys think iMessage could ever achieve the type of penetration as BBM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Or was it a thing of that time and specific customer base?

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I dunno. I think it has potential though. Be kinda interesting to see how iMessage works out amongst all the iPhone users out there. Or who will actually even use it.

3. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Easily. Way more devices.

4. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

BBM (and RIM generally) have both feet in the grave. Of course it will surpass it.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Kind of but I don't really understand this feature.

It made sense when Blackberries first came out, but these days it seems odd to limit a program to one platform. It's what's keeping Facetime from being super-popular, after all.

I'm not sure why Apple thought this was a good idea.

6. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

How is this a good idea when Whatsapp works with Symbian, Android, Windows and iOS? :confused:

7. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

EASILY. Apple owns 44% of the mobile market. (Graphs provided during the keynote) Also, not to mention this also is available on iPod Touches, and iPads... That is just a killer amount of users. This will definitely destroy BBM.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

9. tritonj macrumors 6502a

take off the fanboy glasses for a second, RIM is no where near dead.

10. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yes it is nowhere near dead but it is losing market share left and right if not to Apple then to Andriod.

11. bravens52 macrumors regular

ok lets be real... this will never take off.. first the name is a fail.. should have been rebranded to ichat (much coller) since facetime is new camera app.. second ios may have 40 million customers but lets be serious move ppl who own the ipad have the wifi only version and the ipod touch is wifi only so must ppl probably will not be around a wifi area to even use it..

12. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Absolutely, especially as they get more corporate users using iOS devices.

13. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

i love my work BB 9780 but you need to take off your rim fanboy glasses too. RIM might not be dead but it is slowly bleeding out. More and more corporations are approving iOS and Android devices for corp. enterprise use. Consumers are happily leaving RIM. And looking at their future "new" devices, why in buy a new BB? The 9900/9930 is the same thing, same as the torch 2, or monaco. Their new phones suck. Blackberry OS "7" is just OS 6 renamed OS 7. It's pretty pathetic. There is no benefit of using a BB besides emailing & enterprise.

14. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

I wonder if we are gonna see imessage become cross platform eventually. Facetime was supposed to be the standard and I wonder if there is going to be a app for android and windows phones that will eventually let everyone message everyone.... Just a thought

15. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

dont know about that. I hv wifi all day long. Work + home is the majority of time you spend throughout the day. I would love to text from my ipad rather than my iphone. Also now it lets you text people with itouchs too. again many people have wifi. I know ill be using it to text my gf while shes at school and has horrible cell reception but wifi readily available.

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's exactly what's going to kill RIM now. Can you imagine their emergency meeting now? Wouldn't want to be in that room.

I can tell you that I'm ditching my texting plan from at&t. Everyone I text most of the time are iPhone users. Love it. On the rare occasion I text someone on non-Apple device I'll pay the nominal fee.

17. gks macrumors 6502

It will have a lot of use I am sure. It's integrated right into the Text Messaging app. My guess is that it'll have a way to look up whether the user is an iPhone user and if they are send it via the new iBBM stuff, then if not, send a text message.

It will get a lot of use, especially in households where there are several iPhones. I have a bunch of friends that use iPhones, it'll clearly get a ton of use from me.

It was exactly what I was looking for, I think for the most part I'll be able to get rid of my unlimited texting and go with the $10/1000 msg plan instead.

18. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

"Add me to iMessage" doesn't have the same ring as "add me to BBM"

also, cue deep penetration joke

19. jallenclark macrumors regular

Agree, I can drop unlimited for sure too. A good 75% of my friends have iPhones.

20. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i don't have any RIM fanboy glasses, i could care less about either platform. i use what works and don't care who is making it. but i don't like see inaccurate statements being made so i point them out when i see it.

21. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know. On the surface, it looks cool, but limiting it to iOS users is odd. For those of us who have the majority of their friends on non- iOS platforms, this really adds nothing. But it will certainly cut down on text costs for everyone else.

22. bravens52 macrumors regular

does anybody else think should have been named iChat .. i feel it would fit better .. (shrugs)

23. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I sorta agree. It sounds a lot better.

24. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

No, because it's not iChat.

25. ann713, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011