Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crellion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I'm still a bit skeptical on how secure iCloud Keychain is in terms of securing your passwords especially with the default 4-PIN code.

Do any of you guys use it? How are you liking it so far?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm still a bit skeptical on how secure iCloud Keychain is in terms of securing your passwords especially with the default 4-PIN code.

Do any of you guys use it? How are you liking it so far?

Don't use it...I use LastPass and have iCloud Keychain turned off.

crellion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Don't use it...I use LastPass and have iCloud Keychain turned off.

Spoke too soon, last night I was installing the Mac security update and it asked me to activate iCloud Keychain (which I stupidly did). Now all my stuff is in iCloud Keychain - am I screwed now?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Spoke too soon, last night I was installing the Mac security update and it asked me to activate iCloud Keychain (which I stupidly did). Now all my stuff is in iCloud Keychain - am I screwed now?

I don't know if you're screwed, but you could go into System Preference > iCloud and try unchecking the Keychain box.

Full disclosure...I'm not a tech guy, so bear that in mind!:p

crellion

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I don't know if you're screwed, but you could go into System Preference > iCloud and try unchecking the Keychain box.

Full disclosure...I'm not a tech guy, so bear that in mind!:p

Ok - but does that erase my data from Apple's servers? I hope I didn't unleash Pandora's Box by agreeing to activate iCloud Keychain.

Frankly the MacOS X login screen kinda promoted it heavily when I logged on - and I didn't bother to click on the "Skip This" text on the bottom... So - what now?

Seriously - if I was a less technical - I probably would have followed along not caring...

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
iCloud Keychain uses 256-bit AES encryption. It is not secured by the 4 digit PIN. That is just used to verify a new device. The encryption key would be linked to your AppleID and password.

(However, on an individual device, it is only as secure as your device's login credentials.)

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
The passwords I use with it are a lot more complex then if I was trying to make up ones for every different website

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Yes, use it daily to remember website logins and store secure notes. With iOS 7 it saves me a lot of time digging for login info when I'm on the go.

Aside from the small bugs with it in Mavericks I would consider myself a fan of it.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Yes, use it daily to remember website logins and store secure notes. With iOS 7 it saves me a lot of time digging for login info when I'm on the go.

Aside from the small bugs with it in Mavericks I would consider myself a fan of it.

What is the secure notes feature you're talking about?

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm still using the app 1 Password instead. Versions for iPad, iPhone and Mac and is more feature rich then iCloud keychain. I am slowly moving towards actually not knowing any of my passwords. :eek:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Personally, I will never use a cloud-based service to store critical passwords.

That said, after reading the iCloud Keychain section in Apple's new security whitepaper, it's obvious that they spent a lot of thought on this. I believe the system is reasonably secure.

Reactions: Paulk

imasterus

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
iCloud keychain is the best feature of Mavericks, in my opinion. I rely upon it heavily.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have it enabled, but I don't have any passwords stored on it. I use Lastpass for that!

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I'm not the most technical/security expert guy here, but as I see it for my uses:

iCloud keychain suggests/offers you stronger randomized passwords. At the same time, if you Agree to accept it on a given website, it enables the automatic key across ALL your devices (which may be a bad thing if you ever accidentally get your iPod/iPhone stolen).

Hmm…. for low-security websites, for example, ones that I don't buy anything, only minor forums like a game support forum, I have no problem using it. And besides, when I visit a small game support forum once a month, like am I supposed to remember the username and password I made up 2 months ago? No! So I let Keychain remember it and deal with it. In this manner, Keychain is super convenient.

But for websites that are really important to me, like the Apple Online Store or eBay where I purchase things, I will tell Keychain to NOT store any data for that website.

It's on a site to site basis. Just use common sense.

----------

I remember all my own passwords. Nobody can hack my mind.

Not even a Vulcan?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Nope... Lastpass is better...

That's kinda weird saying that. But its no suprise that people prefer cloud services "Other: than Apple, after all the security stuff has has happened with iCLoud in the past...

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I use something way less complicated and non- tech based.

My Brain.

I have around 50 passwords that I can simply rattle right off without having to ask for a re-set or anything.

I have around 10 rarely used that I keep written down in a little book.

The system has so far:

Worked well without technical hitches
Isn't reliant on a server someplace holding my data.
Is probably way safer than the cloud or last pass.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I use something way less complicated and non- tech based.

My Brain.

I have around 50 passwords that I can simply rattle right off without having to ask for a re-set or anything.

I have around 10 rarely used that I keep written down in a little book.

The system has so far:

Worked well without technical hitches
Isn't reliant on a server someplace holding my data.
Is probably way safer than the cloud or last pass.

ya, but you loose the book, or forget passwords for are those sites.

Let my also guess, sine the passwords are in your brain, their easy to remember right ?

LP, is for convenience, but giving up a bit of security......... Unfortunately, people can't remember a mix-case complicated password.

I don't know any of my passwords of hand... never needed too, and if you do remember a password so easily, then its either to short, or too memorable.. Either way,, someone else will know too shortly

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Sounds silly but a question I have with iCloud Keychain...I have use a couple Macs, an iPad and iPhone. what if I use a PC or another person's computer...how do i know what password to log in with?

Thanks in advance

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Sounds silly but a question I have with iCloud Keychain...I have use a couple Macs, an iPad and iPhone. what if I use a PC or another person's computer...how do i know what password to log in with?

Thanks in advance

That's an issue I've faced when for some reason I'm using the school computers, I usually just get out the iPhone and type it out copying off the iPhone

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
It's the only feature of iCloud I don't use. I'm 100% Apple at home, but it's a Windows 7 world at work, and can't install/use iCloud control panel on my Windows 7 machine. So if I need a password I have to either a) bring my iPad to work every day, b) pray it works with the site I'm trying to access, or c) wait until I get home.

It's a great concept in an all-Apple world, but it would lock me out if I'm outside my normal routine, or have to use a Internet cafe somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.