Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I'm just the opposite of you. 99% of the time, I've got it set to ringer (no vibrate) because I work in an office with a decent amount of noise (and the phone is usually laying on my desk). In fact, the only time I put it on vibrate is when I'm out to dinner or something like that, so as to not disturb people around me. I only put it on silent on Friday and Saturday nights, so I can sleep in the next morning and not be disturbed.

I will say this about the vibrate...I like the motor they use now in the 4S much more than the one in the 3GS. It's just got a better feel to it and seems to be stronger.

CaliforniaKing

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
My school has a very strict policy on phones in class. If your phone rings in the middle of a lesson, you are suspended from school for 3 days. If it rings or you are caught texting during an exam, you are expelled! So you can bet I keep it on silent.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
My school has a very strict policy on phones in class. If your phone rings in the middle of a lesson, you are suspended from school for 3 days. If it rings or you are caught texting during an exam, you are expelled! So you can bet I keep it on silent.

Woah. I can't imagine. Every one at my school uses phones in class all the time.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I'm like KentuckyHouse, 99% of the time I'm on ringer. However, I've learned through embarrassment to put it on vibrate at certain times.

Last year I went to a classical music concert and as the conductor lifted her baton to begin the first piece, my iPhone began blaring out Anchors Aweigh, my ringtone. It takes several seconds to correct the situation because your trying to do it while crawling under your seat!!!!!

I'm now much more careful and have changed my ringtone.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
On ringer at home. On vibrate in public, because to do otherwise is pretty rude in most situations.

I don't have to bother with silent--iBlacklist takes care of all unwanted calls and texts, so only those people I actually want to talk to can get through.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
My phone is on silent/ringer most of the time. Mainly because it gets annoying to hear the tri-tone ring multiple times in a short period of time.

Wow that's insane. People use their phones all the time at my school. Worst case scenario is you'll have to pick it up at the end of the day if the teacher is actually bothered to take your phone away. Most don't though unless it's excessive.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
i use the silent switch to silent my phone completely (no vibrate)

i flip it before i go to sleep, when i wake up i turn the sound on.

i also mute it:

- movies
- restaurant
- if i'm out and i don't my phone going off

Antidoll

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
idk i hate being annoyed lol...i'm always on it or checking it though so i get right back to em...i just text a lot and tired of it buzzing or beeping every second

no I mean how can you "mute" it? I know only how to put it on vibrate

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
My phone is virtually always on ringer. The only time it's not is if I'm in the cinema, a meeting or somewhere else where it's impolite/discourteous to have it ring and to answer it. Personally I don't like having it on vibrate when it's in my pocket as it annoys me when it does vibrate. LOL.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I have mine loud most of the time, on vibrate at night (the 4S vibrate is quiet enough to not disturb me, unlike the 4) and on vibrate whenever the situation calls for it.

One of the nicest and often most overlooked design features of the iPhone is the mute switch. It makes it incredibly easy to put it on vibrate, even from inside your pocket.

I'd hate to have another phone that requires it to be taken out of pocket and woken up before silencing it (e.g. both Android phones I tried in the past).

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I use ring most of the time unless I'm in a situation where vibrate is needed (doctor's office, meeting, movies, etc). I never use the silent setting as vibrate is more than enough.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
how can you put it on silent?

no I mean how can you "mute" it? I know only how to put it on vibrate

I would assume you know the toggle switch above the volume buttons on the side toggles between silent/vibrate and ringer, correct? After that, if you want it silent, you need to go into Settings>Sounds and turn off vibrate under Silent. If you want it to vibrate when the toggle is on, then turn vibrate on under Silent.

Usual

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2011
I do not use vibrate in silent mode.

The switch (which you open and close the sound) is an addict to me. By mistake, I open and close the sound. So many missed calls :)

My gf will leave me because of the iPhone :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.