Do you have a backup phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Smileyboy, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Since my house was broken into and my old 1st gen iPhone was stolen and my old Nokia along with it. I've been on the hunt for a backup phone

I've considered the Palm Pre 3 and maybe a old 1st gen iPhone again. What are you using? Do you have a backup?

2. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Two backup phones

Blackberry Bold 9900
    myTouch 4g

3. devrandom macrumors newbie

Well, that highly depends on how long it will take you to get a replacement for the main phone and on how much you depend on the functionality a smartphone can offer you over a say simple nokia phone.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I always keep one as a backup and right now I have 2, my old Palm Pre and my HTC Evo.

5. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Nice I've been browsing ways. I can't imagine having a backup. I love my iP4S

6. adulti macrumors newbie

7. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

8. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I have 5 backup phones: iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, 2 iPhone 3GS's, iPhone 4. Don't ask me why I kept the 3G and 3GS's but I will definitely never get rid of my iPhone 4 because if something happened to my iPhone 4S at least I'll be able to go back to a retina display, I couldn't imagine going back to a non-retina display!

9. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

10. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I wish I ha da 1st gen for backup purposes. It's still to this day the best looking one in MY OPINION. Love the look of the 4/4S, but the 1 is just classic.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't see the point.

Who's to say the accident (fire? burglar?) won't also take out the backup phone? Then you have to buy a third phone at that point.

And anyway, I'd rather buy another phone when I need it. Not to mention that my replacement phone will be new whereas yours will be somewhat old to really old by the time you actually use it.

iCloud is the important part of my backup plan. Hardware can be bought at any point.

12. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I sell my old phone as soon as I buy a new one. If I lost my phone or if it was stolen, I would use my work cell as a backup until I buy a new one.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have an old flip phone mainly because it's not going to sell so I might as well keep it. I doubt my current 3GS is going to sell either (it's in a grave condition) so I'll keep that as a "backup" too. I don't really see the point of buying a backup phone "just in case" though.

14. vaugha macrumors regular

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

You think the only reason to have a backup is in case of theft or fire? Is that how you approach computer back ups as well? What about simple accidents--phones damaged from being dropped or devices with irreparable water damage?

I doubt many of us actually buy more than one phone at a time with the intention of having a brand new backup but as many here have stated, we keep a previous model around just in case.

Personally, I have 2 backups (old 3GS and a Samsung Focus WP7 that I found cheap to play around with WP7) and my wife has her old 3GS. I would probably want to buy a new phone if my current device was lost/stolen/damaged but knowing I have a backup immediately available gives a small amount of piece of mind.

16. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

iPhone 3G is my backup. Not worth the time to sell it.

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

18. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

can i ask why you have 2 3gs' though? was one your spouses?

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

I agree. Before, I would have said 4. But now that 4S is out, the original became unique for having the only gen with that design compared to the pair of twins. Funny you say this because I am responding from an iPhone 2G right now which is my second of the same model. No doubt a classic with the best build iPhone quality. Only prob is the hardware is so outdated and sluggish.

OP, I have two backups - iPhone 2G and Nexus One. The N1 is also my second one I've owned and the build quality is fantastic like the 2G with aluminum. The sleeve pouch that came with it fits perfectly with the iPhone 2G as well.

My main phone is the iPhone 4 and without a doubt my fav phone ever. Rarely ever gives me probs like the other two. The 2G's resolution is horrible to look at and my N1 has that terrible touchscreen with inaccurate presses. *Since I am moving from SoCal to the Philippines next week, my 4 will get reduced to an iPod touch because the other two are already unlocked and don't want to go through the hassle unlocking the 4 or buying a converter for a micro-SIM. Plus, they love to steal phones there and might as well keep the 4 in a safe at home. The other two will just suffice.

Thinking of getting a Samsung Focus by selling off my iPhone 2G. Need faster hardware, better camera, and never owned WP before. Only $120 off CL and brand new. But the 2G is special to me as it was bought the day Steve Jobs died. Will just keep it in memory of him. The first iPhone, the first Nexus, and last Pre (3) are collector's items for cell phone enthusiasts in my book.

20. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

iphone 2g, iphone 3g, iphone 4, blackberry pearl all lying with me!!

21. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Got a Nokia E71. Kept for 2 reasons: awesome phone and as backup.

22. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

I just bought my first backup as my switch back to att from sprint will leave me iphone-less for a couple of weeks while i wait for my unlocked 4s. Got a samsung a107 for 10 dollars!

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Backups:

32Gb 3GS
    8GB 3GS
    16GB 3G
    8GB original iPhone

24. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Still Have My

4, ready to go if the 4S messes up. Not for long though, a friend has his eye on it! WouldI buy a backup phone? No. I'm insured and so far have managed not break any of my Apple products.

Watch everything bust now:)