Do you have a friend that blows up when you discuss politics?

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I have a good friend that I really have to avoid having any kind of political discussions with. It's a shame because it's one of my favorite things. I like to hear all points of view and rarely get upset over someone's opinion. To me, it's stimulating.

But this one friend will immediately hurl personal attacks if I bring up an opposing view. Why do some people react like that?

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Religion and politics. The two topics I try to avoid with my friends. You will not change anyone's opinion, nor they change yours. Pointless endeavor so why bother?
This exactly, also why I stay out of PRSI.

----------

But this one friend will immediately hurl personal attacks if I bring up an opposing view. Why do some people react like that?
Your friend is an ***hole.

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I know a guy...
He'll start out discussing a political issue with a fairly level headed approach, but the more he gets into explaining and arguing against a position he disagrees with, the more animated he gets. Finally, he starts swearing like a sailor and calling people who believe such things awful names. Happens every time I don't interrupt and change the subject.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Never had a single heated discussion in real life over religion or politics, and I'm really opinionated. You can discuss anything irl if it's done tactfully.

Don't even think I've seen two people stand and argue with each other about this stuff irl besides from TV. I've seen people argue over queue jumping and spilled pints plenty enough though.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Fully agree. These topics are not conducive to calm, rational discussion.
I tend to agree, but discussing politics or religious topics with good friends and a glass of red wine and some grapes..I like it that way.

But that's a lesson I had to learn during schooltime: What to do with the friends you just play beautifully with, but when they start talking about serious stuff, one prefers running away as fast as possible? The answer is quite sad.