Do you have a friend that blows up when you discuss politics?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by senseless, Aug 22, 2012.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I have a good friend that I really have to avoid having any kind of political discussions with. It's a shame because it's one of my favorite things. I like to hear all points of view and rarely get upset over someone's opinion. To me, it's stimulating.

But this one friend will immediately hurl personal attacks if I bring up an opposing view. Why do some people react like that?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Religion and politics. The two topics I try to avoid with my friends. You will not change anyone's opinion, nor they change yours. Pointless endeavor so why bother?

3. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Politics and Religion. Oops; is this the wrong forum? :(

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

This is why I don't befriend volatile elements. I dated a francium once, didn't even make it through dessert.

5. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

If only the people who post in PRSI realized that ;)

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, "my friend" always blows up when those topics are brought up. What an ***.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I have a friend who shuts down completely and then gets incredibly cranky if anyone talks about anything remotely related to politics in his presence.

8. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

Because they are childish. Then, discussing politics is pretty childish in itself.

9. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

This exactly, also why I stay out of PRSI.

----------

Your friend is an ***hole.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I know a guy...
    He'll start out discussing a political issue with a fairly level headed approach, but the more he gets into explaining and arguing against a position he disagrees with, the more animated he gets. Finally, he starts swearing like a sailor and calling people who believe such things awful names. Happens every time I don't interrupt and change the subject.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Fully agree. These topics are not conducive to calm, rational discussion.

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Never had a single heated discussion in real life over religion or politics, and I'm really opinionated. You can discuss anything irl if it's done tactfully.

Don't even think I've seen two people stand and argue with each other about this stuff irl besides from TV. I've seen people argue over queue jumping and spilled pints plenty enough though.

13. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I tend to agree, but discussing politics or religious topics with good friends and a glass of red wine and some grapes..I like it that way.

But that's a lesson I had to learn during schooltime: What to do with the friends you just play beautifully with, but when they start talking about serious stuff, one prefers running away as fast as possible? The answer is quite sad.