Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I feel like this is a bad habit I need to break. I do it after every text I send and I have to unlock my phone a few seconds later when I get a reply. Should I just leave it on? Will it save battery life that way?

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I feel like this is a bad habit I need to break. I do it after every text I send and I have to unlock my phone a few seconds later when I get a reply. Should I just leave it on? Will it save battery life that way?

Yes, it sounds like a silly habit, and it is not something that I do. Just leave it on. You'll probably break the button.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's a good habit to sleep the device before pocketing it, as it preserves battery life and avoids pocket dialing, but if I'm expecting an immediate reply I just leave the screen on.

Also, in iOS 8, you can reply from the lock screen by swiping down on the text banner. No need to unlock it.

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
Lol my phone was blowing up earlier tonight and I thiught, "damn, I gotta stop locking the phone so quick"

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If I am sending a text that is awaiting a reply, and I know the person is right there to receive it, I never sleep the phone. Seems counterproductive.

Depending on how much texting you;re doing I suppose it could potentially save battery. You would have to be doing this dozens of times a day, I would think, in order to account for even 1% though.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I don't lock it, but I always go back home or to the main messaging screen, since you only get the bloop sound instead of the actual message tone if you are in someone's messaging screen when they message you. Wish you could get the actual messaging tone all the time. Sometime I miss the bloop sound because it is much quieter.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
nope... i rarely hit the sleep/wake button after doing anything.... just place it down on the desk or table, shove it in my purse/pocket....

it goes to sleep on it's own, so i don't need to push any buttons! easy peasy!

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I did, until I wore my sleep/power button out on my 4s (and saw many others do the same) and had to deal with using assistive touch for like 4 months (until the IP6 came out)

anyway that will change your habits

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
No, usually I'll just send the text and hit the home button. Then I'll leave my iPhone on my desk awake until it goes to sleep on it's own.

If I do lock my phone though, I have to go to the home screen first. I know I don't have to, but I hate leaving things open while locking.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
ill sleep it or at least hit the home button when i set it back on the desk after sending a message...if i dont then the screen stays on long or dims or whatever and i always think im seeing it light up or dimming after lighting up out of the corner of my eye or whatever and think i missed a message

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
No, usually I'll just send the text and hit the home button. Then I'll leave my iPhone on my desk awake until it goes to sleep on it's own.

If I do lock my phone though, I have to go to the home screen first. I know I don't have to, but I hate leaving things open while locking.

Me too, or I'll just leave it on the main messaging screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.