Do you have a habit of pressing the sleep/waking button after texting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heyyitssusan, Jan 13, 2015.

1. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

I feel like this is a bad habit I need to break. I do it after every text I send and I have to unlock my phone a few seconds later when I get a reply. Should I just leave it on? Will it save battery life that way?

2. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

Yes, it sounds like a silly habit, and it is not something that I do. Just leave it on. You'll probably break the button.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

4. woodynorman macrumors 6502

I have that habit, but only because I put the phone in my pocket when I'm done texting.

5. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Nope, when I finish I just shove it in my pocket.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's a good habit to sleep the device before pocketing it, as it preserves battery life and avoids pocket dialing, but if I'm expecting an immediate reply I just leave the screen on.

Also, in iOS 8, you can reply from the lock screen by swiping down on the text banner. No need to unlock it.

7. dkh587 macrumors regular

Lol my phone was blowing up earlier tonight and I thiught, "damn, I gotta stop locking the phone so quick"

8. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yup. I always do that unless actively conversing.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If I am sending a text that is awaiting a reply, and I know the person is right there to receive it, I never sleep the phone. Seems counterproductive.

Depending on how much texting you;re doing I suppose it could potentially save battery. You would have to be doing this dozens of times a day, I would think, in order to account for even 1% though.

10. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

I don't lock it, but I always go back home or to the main messaging screen, since you only get the bloop sound instead of the actual message tone if you are in someone's messaging screen when they message you. Wish you could get the actual messaging tone all the time. Sometime I miss the bloop sound because it is much quieter.

11. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

nope... i rarely hit the sleep/wake button after doing anything.... just place it down on the desk or table, shove it in my purse/pocket....

it goes to sleep on it's own, so i don't need to push any buttons! easy peasy!

12. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I did, until I wore my sleep/power button out on my 4s (and saw many others do the same) and had to deal with using assistive touch for like 4 months (until the IP6 came out)

anyway that will change your habits

13. Jayson A macrumors 68000

No, usually I'll just send the text and hit the home button. Then I'll leave my iPhone on my desk awake until it goes to sleep on it's own.

If I do lock my phone though, I have to go to the home screen first. I know I don't have to, but I hate leaving things open while locking.

14. puma1552 macrumors 601

ill sleep it or at least hit the home button when i set it back on the desk after sending a message...if i dont then the screen stays on long or dims or whatever and i always think im seeing it light up or dimming after lighting up out of the corner of my eye or whatever and think i missed a message

15. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

Me too, or I'll just leave it on the main messaging screen.