Do you have a hard time letting go of your MBP when upgrading?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cicatrix, May 21, 2011.

1. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

I purchased my first Mackbook Pro with one of the 2011 models, and I absolutely love it. I keep finding great stuff out about this machine every day. My initial plan when I first got it was to upgrade every year. I almost can't imagine letting go of such a nice machine, even if it is to upgrade to a newer one! Do any of you have a difficult time selling your MBP's when you want to upgrade machines? It's going to drive me nuts the couple of weeks I'm without my MBP once I'm in the process of upgrading at this point. I have always had a habbit of falling behind with old gear because I don't want to give it up.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I haven't had to sell mine yet, it's the last generation of pre-unibody Macbook pros(early 2008) and it's been serving me quite well. I don't see why I'd upgrade if the computer is still doing everything I ask of it without issues. Maybe you should consider that avenue instead.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

About 6 weeks ago I sold my 2006 Mac Pro that had been with me for over four years and got a new MBP. Letting go of that old horse was a bit emotional, I'm somewhat ashamed to admit! lol

4. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

As someone who has been doing this since the new unibody macbooks (not pros) since 2008, it's not been too bad.

I have a hitachi 500gb 7200 rpm drive I've been using for a long time. I basically don't even boot the new machine. I open it up, pull out the original drive, stick it in and let it boot.

When it comes time to sell, I just pull the unused drive out and pop it back in. I guess it's helped that other than the first unibody macbook, all my sales have been to family.

I understand the attachment to older hardware, but it's not like I'm throwing it away, it's going to a new home.

5. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a very nice method you have going there. I need to start doing that for sure.
    Maybe I can get in a argument with my MBP right before I sell it so it won't hurt so bad.:D JK.

6. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I had an early 2008 MBP in which I upgraded to a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive and 6 GB of RAM. I sold it as is a month ago and sold the original hard drive and RAM on Craigslist. Do I miss it? No, it was a machine.

7. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Nope. Not at all. I like my new one better in every way, so there's no emotional attachment.

On the other hand, if you asked me to sell my old Commodore 64… then I might start to tear up a little!

8. bniu macrumors 6502a

nah, all my equipment generally goes straight to my sister or parents, so that gives me plenty of time to "detach". And some of my equipment, I push so hard that they often fail to perform that I toss 'em off with a "Good Riddance" when I go and pick up a new one.

9. youngmac macrumors regular

i still love my mbp late 2008. i was considering upgrading to the new 2011 imac but i think i might regret not having a laptop.

but i wouldn't mind upgrading to a newer mbp.

10. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

I have just been keeping my MBP's and accumulating newer ones, personal addiction I guess

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

It's just a tool for me. If the next model meets my needs I will upgrade. No guarantee that the replacement will be a mbp, but the way things are at present I will be upgrading to a new 17 mbp. Apple lost me with the mac pros though.

12. FOX160 macrumors regular