Do you have any complain on your '13 11" or 13" MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by technowar, Jun 15, 2013.

1. technowar macrumors 6502

Do you have any complain on the machine you bought?

Bad battery, overheating issues, problematic SSD and RAM, bad WiFi signal, yellowish displays, and etc? Let's hear them out!

P.S.
    If there's an existing thread similar to this, please just merge it. Thank you?

2. revisionA macrumors 6502

720mb/s read and write on mine.
    Been playing with it all day since 7 am EST and its at 45% battery.

Yay! I can't leave it alone..

3. Neeyul macrumors member

Which drive do you have on yours? 128/256/512?

4. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

Stock 13" 128 from Amazon..

Everything is great, runs cool, incredible battery life...

Except for the display. Blue tint to it, can't calibrate (error in the preference pane - "The factory profile for the display could not be found.")

5. Nioxic macrumors regular

runs cool? (silent?)

how about noise levels when playing video or stressing it in a game or something?

i remember my old 2011 air getting noisy if it did "ANYTHING" other than simple browsing and typing ect.

6. musika macrumors 65816

musika

How big of an affect do you think the i7 and 8GB RAM have on the heat/battery? Have you noticed any scrolling lag? 11" or 13"?

I can't wait to get mine.

7. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

Incredibly cool compared to my 2011 11" MBA.

Haven't run any games yet, but I also haven't heard the fans come on yet, including doing some work in Photoshop.

Just the blue display tint.

8. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

Just got off the phone with AppleCare, resetting the power management (shift-option-cmd) kicked out the display profile issue. Working perfectly now.

9. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

So the screen looks fine now? No need to replace the unit?

10. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

Nope, looks fantastic. Identical to the screen on my 2011 11" MBA.

11. revisionA macrumors 6502

512 and it says its an Apple one. Black Magic Speed Test app, btw.

----------

I really have nothing to compare it against. It only got warm once and I've been using it for almost 24 hours now... and not burn you warm, just no longer cool. Seems completely silent. No noticeable lag. After I realized I had a shared folder and drive via my mac pro, it just fit into my mac ecosystem so neatly.

12. raftr macrumors regular

The 2012 13" Air "Ultimate" was the most satisfying computer purchase I ever made. A perfect marriage of computing speed and portability.

The only thing I warn people about is that its keyboard is so close to the screen when closed, it can leave permanent marks on it. It's a problem most laptops have though. A thin piece of microfibre cloth is enough to protect the display.

13. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

New from apple: microfiber-covered keys. Comfort and protection for your macbook air.

Seriously, this seems like a very apple thing to do.

14. raftr macrumors regular

In fairness, all my pre-Apple laptops had the same problem.

MacBook Pro Unibody models had solid glass screens which didn't really bend towards the keyboard and were very hard to scratch anyway.

The display in the Air is not glass-covered anymore—it might be a good idea to give it a little protection.

The good thing is, even if you get marks on the screen, they are minimal and only visible when the display is off.

15. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I'm not angry at all over it, but considering the iPad smart covers, it seems like a strange oversight for apple.

16. technowar thread starter macrumors 6502

Which keyboard protection do you prefer by the way?

About the screen being washed off, what do you mean about this? How can you tell the difference?

17. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I just want to thank the OP and everyone who has contributed to this thread ... very helpful (and reassuring) to those of us with MBAs who are considering upgrading!

I've kept the little rice paper screen protector in my '12 MBA 11" since new. I've never had marks on the screen ... I am OCD enough about my equipment that I could not make myself throw away the rice paper. Anyway, it works well enough.

I am contemplating moving up to an "ultimate" 13" MBA. I've no real hope that it will replace my main axe (a 2011 MBP with a Toshiba SSD) but who knows? At least I'll finally have a "no compromises" travel machine.

18. maddux530, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013

maddux530 macrumors newbie

13", 256GB, 4GB RAM here...

So far, so good. Battery life is incredible. At 84%, it estimates that I have 10:31 left. It has a Samsung SSD with 700+ MB write and read. Quiet, cool to the touch, quick. I debated getting 8GB RAM, but this will be mainly used for writing and research, so 4GB is just fine.

Edit - I also want to add that I'm upgrading from a 2011, 11", 128GB SSD MacBook Air. I loved that machine and it performed just fine, but I only got generally 3.5 hours of battery life on it. Frankly, getting anything remotely close to 12 hours is worth the roughly $600 net cost after selling the 2011.

19. curtoise macrumors 6502a

What processor? i5 or i7?

20. maddux530 macrumors newbie

i5.

21. raftr macrumors regular

Those square microfibre pieces Apple used to add to their laptops seem good enough.

22. technowar thread starter macrumors 6502