Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btownguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I don't have an iMac, but I do have a 24" ACD that I bought brand new a few months ago (not refurb). It has a single pixel that is constantly on and it's red. It drives me absolutely CRAZY...probably because I paid $900 for this display. I can't remember ever having a problem pixel on another display...all of them cheaper.

So I'm curious about the iMac owners. Is a dead/stuck pixel here and there an expected thing for iMac owners?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I have 2 and one stuck, I think. They don't really annoy me as if I want to see them, I have to look for them so... You'll forget them in few days

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I haven't even looked, and since you said that I still probably won't look. The way things are going right now I wouldn't even notice a dead pixel even if I did find one. I know how it is with these apple products though, you have such high expectations for them that when you find something "wrong" it just urks you so much. So I am definitely not going to look for any haha

btownguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I haven't even looked, and since you said that I still probably won't look. The way things are going right now I wouldn't even notice a dead pixel even if I did find one. I know how it is with these apple products though, you have such high expectations for them that when you find something "wrong" it just urks you so much. So I am definitely not going to look for any haha

Man, what I wouldn't give to be running a company whose customers actively try not to find flaws in their products.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Man, what I wouldn't give to be running a company whose customers actively try not to find flaws in their products.

I know right shoooooooot. I mean this is a lovely device, when I get a product I expect it to be running top notch straight out the box. I mean it is apple, not a place down the street that sells used computers. I am going to use it how I use it and if I notice anything down the road while doing that, then that's when it will get handled.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
I don't have an iMac, but I do have a 24" ACD that I bought brand new a few months ago (not refurb). It has a single pixel that is constantly on and it's red. It drives me absolutely CRAZY...probably because I paid $900 for this display. I can't remember ever having a problem pixel on another display...all of them cheaper.

So I'm curious about the iMac owners. Is a dead/stuck pixel here and there an expected thing for iMac owners?

you know what guys, I fell for it. Set up a black wallpaper and went the searchin for a dead pixel, had to. Didn't run into anything thankfully.

Hopefully this isn't something that a lot of owners run into are dead pixel problems.

btownguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
you know what guys, I fell for it. Set up a black wallpaper and went the searchin for a dead pixel, had to. Didn't run into anything thankfully.

Hopefully this isn't something that a lot of owners run into are dead pixel problems.

Now try a white screen...

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Nope. Not on my MBP, my 24" Cinema Display, or my girlfriend's MB.

Now... they're dusty as all hell, but that's not Apple's fault.... or is it??? *shifty eyes*

btownguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Did the white. Forgot about trying the white. That would have really urked me. Black dot. Or dots. Just there because. uhgg. You have them on your white?

If I set my screen to a white background, I have a single red pixel.

i7QuadCoreMania

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
last 24"er had one freaking annoyed me, wasn't off to the side, the stupid aurora wallpaper disguised it well, didn't notice it till after I change to a lighter wallpaper, which by then was too late to exchange/return.

RED DOT i n the lower middle of the screen, hated it!

New 27" is fine no dead pixels, but there the slight yellow towards the lower bottom, can't notice it unless you try to look for it.:rolleyes:

At least no dead pixels.

rigid

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
My 24" had 1 stuck red, could only see it on a black background, didn't bother me.

My 27" has none :cool:

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Has anyone ever tested their warranty, on this point? Because, as far as I'm concerned, the consumer is entitled to have a product that's free from defects. If there's a small defect, all the same, there's a defect. The supplier should repair or replace.

09iMac=Fail

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2009
Has anyone ever tested their warranty, on this point? Because, as far as I'm concerned, the consumer is entitled to have a product that's free from defects. If there's a small defect, all the same, there's a defect. The supplier should repair or replace.

A certain amount is considered to be within spec. Sucks for the consumer, but that's the way it is. And it's not just like that with Apple, but with everybody.

This info might help you out a bit, I think this is Apple's policy on the matter from another thread.

When displaying a single color over the screen area, the LCD panel shows one or more pixels that are not properly lit

To determine whether or not the display has an acceptable number of pixel anomalies, follow the steps below:
Set the display image to one of the following colors: all-white display, all-red display, all-green display, or all-blue display. Knowledge Base article 112125: Service Diagnostics Matrix, has the LCD Tester Diagnostic Utility that will generate these patterns on the screen.

Using a jeweler’s loupe, pocket microscope, or other magnifying device, identify and count each pixel anomaly:
• Bright subpixel anomaly = subpixel that is always on
• Dark subpixel anomaly = subpixel that is always off

The number of acceptable pixel anomalies for this system is:

Acceptable Number of Subpixel Anomalies:
Bright Up to 3
Dark Up to 5
Combination Up to 7

If the number of subpixel anomalies exceeds the acceptable number listed in the above chart, replace the display panel assembly.

Bright 4 or more
Dark 6 or more
Combination 8 or more
If the number of subpixel anomalies is acceptable, explain to the customer that the pixel anomalies are within specifications, and no repair is necessary.

Important: Do not release the specifications to customers. Instead, inform them that a certain number of subpixel anomalies are considered acceptable, and these factors apply to all manufacturers using LCD technology—not just Apple products.

When speaking with customers, please use the following explanation:
Active-matrix LCD technology uses rows and columns of addressable locations (pixels) that render text and images on screen. Each pixel location has three separate subpixels (red, green, and blue) that allow the image to be rendered in full color. Each subpixel has a corresponding transistor responsible for turning the subpixel on or off.

There are typically millions of these subpixels on an LCD display. For example, the LCD panel used in the Apple Cinema HD display is made up of 2.3 million pixels and 6.9 million red, green, and blue subpixels. Occasionally, a transistor does not work perfectly, which may result in the affected subpixel being turned on (bright) or turned off (dark). With the millions of subpixels on a display, it is quite possible to have a low number of faulty transistors on an LCD. Therefore, a certain number of subpixel anomalies are considered acceptable. Rejecting all but perfect LCD panels would significantly increase the retail price for products using LCD displays. These factors apply
to all manufacturers using LCD technology—not just Apple products.
---

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Wow. Top-drawer explanation. Thank you.

What if all of your failed pixels are side-by-side? That makes one giant, distracting, buggered super-pixel!

I'll admit, the odds are infinitesimally tiny. But the luck I've had with technology lately...

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
i have one (red) on the top left of my 24" imac. had it since i purchased the system. doesn't bother me since it's out of my general view.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I understand the OP's complaint. If I have any dead pixels, I get completely and irrationally fixated on them. It's like they scream out, "LOOK AT ME!!! WEEE!!!!" and they drive me nuts. I truly believe any display shouldn't have any. T

09iMac=Fail

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2009
I understand the OP's complaint. If I have any dead pixels, I get completely and irrationally fixated on them. It's like they scream out, "LOOK AT ME!!! WEEE!!!!" and they drive me nuts. I truly believe any display shouldn't have any. T

Yeah, I agree 100%. I've got a bright green pixel on an old monitor and every time I have to turn it on, I want to slam it to the ground and crush it with my foot.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Can I take this opportunity to ask a slightly off-topic question, please...?

How is the 27" iMac display for watching 1080p video? I'm kinda concerned, because the screen's resolution is greater than 1080p, that certain abnormalities might be apparent.

Also, for those folks with dead pixels on these 27" screens (see how I wrestled it back...?!), how apparent are they from, say, seven or eight feet away? If my maths is correct, there are 3.6+ million pixels on one of those screens. Can you even see it, or does it just annoy you to know that it's there?

Insilin1i

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Can I take this opportunity to ask a slightly off-topic question, please...?

How is the 27" iMac display for watching 1080p video? I'm kinda concerned, because the screen's resolution is greater than 1080p, that certain abnormalities might be apparent.

Also, for those folks with dead pixels on these 27" screens (see how I wrestled it back...?!), how apparent are they from, say, seven or eight feet away? If my maths is correct, there are 3.6+ million pixels on one of those screens. Can you even see it, or does it just annoy you to know that it's there?

I had a white stuck pixel right in my general viewing area it was really distracting in any dark shaded areas, luckily I was still within the 14 days. So first impression it looks amazing :D

I just finished my first 1080p movie so I will post once I get to watch a bit of it today.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Great. Thanks.

Can I ask a little more (sorry to the OP...)?

Does it handle fast motion nicely, without losing definition? Is there any ghosting or smearing?

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
I had a dead pixel and once I found it I couldn't stop looking at it so I got a replacement. This one seems fine I hope I don't find one later on though

kalma

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
I had one hot pixel center screen, exchanged for a new iMac and now the screen is flawless. iSight however had some ten hot and stuck pixels, so I had the camera replaced and the new one has only four hot and one stuck pixel.

I'm happy with this since several faulty pixels in the original were obvious to the naked eye, and none of the faults in the new one are (I found them using the cloth+zoom test, but can't find them by using the camera even if I look. Much dimmer faults than original ones were)

I suspect iSight hot/stuck pixels can also come and go - service point took a snap on the new camera and that photo has no flaws that I can see. Presumably these are "weak points" on the camera which flare up like herpes once in a while.

cryer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I've went through about 5 iMacs and they ALL have had dead and stuck pixels. I just can't catch a break. I hate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.