Do you have LTE in your area?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randy98mtu, Sep 11, 2012.

?

Do you have LTE available in your area?

1. I have AT&T and have LTE in my area

43 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. I have AT&T and do NOT have LTE in my area

30 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. I have VZW and have LTE in my area

28 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. I have VZW and do NOT have LTE in my area

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. I do not have AT&T or VZW

13 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I was VERY excited to find a press release from AT&T saying they are bringing LTE to my area (Detroit) by the end of the year. I was very tempted to switch to VZW, but it would cost me quite a bit extra on my new mobile share plan. So I decided to be patient and wait for LTE on AT&T. Now I just have to see how quickly they expand into the suburbs (I'm about 30 minutes north of the city.) Hopefully I am close enough to get it at launch.

I know VZW has more LTE, but I'm curious to see how things compare between the 2.

2. Craiger, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I'm about 30 minutes South of Nashville and have had AT&T LTE since the launch a couple months ago.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, I do not have AT&T LTE in my area of Michigan.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have both, but I'll be switching over to VZW due to their superior coverage.

5. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I don't think ANYONE in Michigan has LTE on AT&T yet. Here is the link to the press release for Detroit.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, I didn't think so. The closest area I found with my iPad was Chicago back in June.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I Live in Atlanta, and we have phenomenal AT&T LTE coverage :)

8. drober30 macrumors 6502a

Yes, Detroit and Grand Rapids will get it before years end "supposedly"!

I wonder what they consider Detroit? Just the city or will it stretch all the way to Livonia and Novi area?

Either way, wont help me sitting in Mid Michigan, Grand Blanc area.

9. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

My answer is yes I do have LTE
    from Verizon, AT&T and Sprint
    best coverage is AT&T 2nd Sprint 3rd Verizion (just because my home address is not included I would have to walk a few blocks)

----------

detroit is also on SPrint roll out

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

typically is it the Major city and stretches in about a 20-30 mile radius...at least from what I have experienced in other cities.

11. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I spend my time along the M-59 corridor from Auburn Hills east. I'm sure we will be on the fringe either way. In or out at launch is the question.

12. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I live in a more rural area of CA. Frankly, I was amazed that 14Mb HSPA+ on Tmo was active here. Doesn't help my 4s at all but my Galaxy S2 was blazing and draining the battery like mad in the process.

13. tys macrumors 6502

I have AT&T here in Albuquerque NM. Hell must have frozen over because they recently announced that LTE is coming this year! Should be sweet since AT&T HSPA+ on my iPad is already as fast as Verizon LTE on my friend's iPad. (based on subjective feel browsing the web anyway, I haven't actually done speed tests)

14. bogatyr macrumors 65816

When Verizon deployed LTE in the area, M-59 was the boundary area. So I think you're probably just inside it assuming they do a similar coverage initially.

15. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Thanks for the replies so far. About what I was expecting, though I was initially surprised so many have LTE already.

HSPA+ speed tests from 4S users (and my GS3 I had last week) were no faster than my iPhone 4 can get. I have gotten 6 meg down and 1.5 up in my area. I just want more consistency. I will get 4+ one time, then less than 1 meg the next. Overall I average around 1-2 meg down I'd say. Not bad, but faster is always better. :)

16. bogatyr macrumors 65816

That's because both are beyond the threshold for web browsing. At a certain point, any extra speed isn't required and web browsing also relies more on latency than anything else since a web page consists of many little files that need to be downloaded.

H+ and LTE will benefit people streaming video or tethering mostly. Though you will notice the difference from 3G->H+/LTE on some websites.

17. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Well I am actually usually north a couple miles, so like I said, I'm going to be right on the edge I expect. Thanks for the feedback on the VZW rollout though. My brother-in-law says in the beginning he had it at his office but not at his house, just a few miles apart just north of M59 near Auburn Hills. Now he has it at his house as well. And he pulls 20-40 down. I can't wait. :cool:

18. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Normally I'd say H+ to LTE won't benefit people too much, but if you're only getting 1-2Mbit down on average, it'll definitely help you. I hope they get it deployed soon for ya!

On my ATT phone (work line) I get 6-10Mbit down on average but I'm between Troy and Dearborn mostly. I don't expect any benefits from LTE for me since I can't tether and H+ works pretty well where I'm at.

19. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I'm still on a 4, so I don't know that it's even H+. I don't get the 4G in my status bar. But I've done speed tests side by side with people who do and we are about the same. Never seen one pull faster than my 5-6 range.

20. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Where I am neither carrier has LTE yet. VZW's LTE cutoff is literally a mile from me, ATT isn't that close yet. Both carriers have great 3G service though, and ATT has the better data speeds for now. Hoping LTE gets here soon.

21. gibbz macrumors 68030

22. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I have AT&T, whom doesn't have LTE coverage.

I'll be getting Verizon (with the iPhone 5), whom does have LTE coverage.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I would like to see that speed test...no way you are getting 14 down on HSPA

24. bogatyr macrumors 65816

25. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

The ATT Coverage map show it my area, Niagara NY. I dont know anyone with an LTE phone, so I'm not sure how accurate that SOLID dark orange mass would be for me in reality. I know that my iP4 gets some pretty ****** speeds when I'm at work. Cant play most multiplayer games plus real slow page loads.