Do you have the iphone 4s? If you dont why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techgirl117, Feb 21, 2012.

?

Do you think upgrading from an iphone 4 to an iphone 4s is worth it?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2012.
  1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    25.3%
  2. No

68 vote(s)
    74.7%
  1. techgirl117, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

techgirl117 macrumors newbie

I recently had the chance to get an iphone 4s but decided to wait. I have an iphone 4 and I felt as though it was not worth the extra $100. What do you guys think?

I am well aware that the iphone 4s comes with more than just Siri. It comes with a better camera, graphics, storage and Dual Core Processor. In the long run do you really think its worth getting an upgrade from the iphone 4?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Since you have the 4 already, I would recommend waiting until the 5 comes out. The jump in differences from the 4 to the 4S isn't that big. You have Siri and a better camera. If you don't need those things, why waste the money or the upgrade.

I went from the 3GS to the 4S and it was a big jump in performance for me.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There is a noticeable speed difference, so it isn't just Siri that you are getting. If you are happy with what you have, it's probably not worth the upgrade.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

You do get the faster processor !

I have siri on my iPhone 4, and the camera improvement is not a biggie for my needs.

Siri is very nice to have but not enough for me to upgrade from my iPhone 4 to the 4s.

Typically users going from a 3gs to a 4s feel the difference.

5. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Ditto for me, HUGE boost, it had nothing to do with siri, but i gotta say it is a nice extra perk. Had i already had the 4, i would have just waited till the next iPhone came out.

6. jesslla macrumors newbie

The only reason I don't have one is because I'm not eligible for an upgrade yet. :) When I am eligible I intend to get the 4S, mostly because I plan on keeping the phone two to three years, so I intend to "future proof" it as much as currently possible.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I don't have 4S because I see no reason, ditto for rumors for iPhone 5 even.

CPU? No, I don't find wait time on app/web loading to bother me.

GPU? No, Inifinity Blade, Dark Meadow :drool: already tons of fun.

BIGGER? No, I can easily use it one handed, thumb across screen, don't negatively impact this.

DISPLAY? No, current IPS/retina is brilliant.

BATT LIFE? No, I go all day as is with batt to spare, and even get a second day on the rare occasion I forget to charge on nightstand.

LTE? No, I get 3-5.9 mbps reliably (haven't broken 6, yet) on ATT 3G now, that's faster than standard DSL, on my freaking mobile phone. I have no lack of speed, not missing out on anything.

STORAGE? No, I have the 16GB variant with 8GB free.

Siri is a mild curiosity, to see if it transforms how I use my mobile, but it's not bothering me.

I'm not even excited about the iPhone 5. I could very easily holding onto iPhone 4 through 2013 or 2014 whenever Apple stops supporting it with updates.

8. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I'm in the same boat as you. I currently own an iPhone 4 and I was able to upgrade to the iPhone 4s but I decided to wait till the iPhone 5 comes out. I figure the iPhone 5 will most likely be a complete redesign, and I'm more excited for that then anything. I need a new design because I'm starting to get a little bored of the iPhone 4/4's design. The all-glass-phone is absolutely beautiful, but I really hope it takes over the iPad's design or something similar.

The speed jump between the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s isn't all that much. You will notice a speed difference, but it's not something that will blow you away. Making the jump from a 3G or 3GS to the iPhone 4s will indeed be a massive difference.

9. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

No. I have still have a 4. I didn't upgrade because the added specs weren't worth it to me given my usage.
    I DO plan to upgrade to the 5 when it comes out.
    FWIW, that's the pattern I've followed throughout my iPhone use. I had the 3, didn't upgrade to the 3s. I bought the 4 and didn't upgrade to the 4s.

10. niewiesznic macrumors regular

niewiesznic

I have 4s 16Gb upgraded from 16Gb 3G. The difference is HUGE! :)

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Coming from the iPhone 4, it's just not worth it. Waiting for the next version.

12. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I don't know anyone who has a 4S. I only have it because it's my first iPhone.

If I'd had the 4, I wouldn't upgrade. Because what are you really paying for?

13. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I have an i4. Camera upgrade would've been nice but not a heavy gamer, wouldn't use Siri and locking myself into a new 2 year contract isn't worth it for the 4S.

A lot of people I know who upgraded to a 4S were either a first time iPhone user or wanted white.

14. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I didn't upgrade from my 4 to the 4s as I didn't see it as enough of a change to warrent spending the money.

16. jacksam101 macrumors member

I bought a 4s only because I had a problem with the on/off button on my "4" and couldn't get used to an android until the "5" came out

It's odd that I didn't notice a speed increase on the iPhone but did notice my iPad 1 seemed slower :)

I'll see what the "5" brings and either stick with the 4S or sell it and buy the new one ( ok - its going to be the latter)

Lol

17. FluffyPop macrumors member

I have a 4 and I decided to skip the 4s simply because I don't feel the upgrade is worth the price of a 4s. :)

18. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Use the search feature of the forum and you'll find a lot of threads regarding exactly the same issue.

19. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I was going to post the same thing. The "every other" pattern seems to work well for iPhones.

20. jkeith0919 macrumors member

I got the 4 in December because it was much cheaper ($99 for 16 gig) than the 4s. I'm keeping the 4 until I'm eligible for an upgrade. By then the 5 will probably have been out for awhile.

21. cotak macrumors regular

Iphone4s same cost as a galaxy nexus on hardware upgrade. But it would be locked into the carrier(sucks for when you travel), has no new feature that I want to play with and it would mean a tiny screen when inevitably a new iphone comes out with a bigger screen before our next hardware upgrade.

So from that point of view why not get a galaxy nexus to try something else?

And now that we have moved I have been wondering if we should sell one of our ipads and get a android tablet. Just to see if we would like it a lot more. I can see having DLNA enabled player on an android tablet would be much more useful for bed potato-ing than having it on the phone, even if the phone has a bigger screen than the iphone.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I don't because I have a 4

Actually excited for my contract to expire this June so I can use Straight talk and pay 45 a month for unlimited everything instead of 90

23. JohnnySon macrumors newbie

Nope. Ive had my iPhone 4 since August and it still works perfectly. Same hardware , apps might load a couple seconds faster but nothing to buy a new phone for. I just hope the 5 comes out in the summer .. Verizon's 3G is starting to become
    Sooo slow

24. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Wait for 5

I also had this same dilemma. I purchased the iPhone 4 to give me the freedom to upgrade when I wanted not when my contract was up. I'm glad I didn't go for the 4s as my friend did( and paid a high premium for the privalage) and Siri is next to useless in the UK. I think iPhone 5 will be the same. I'm thinking of skipping the ipad3 for the same reason and go for 4 to really see the benefit.

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I have an iPhone 4. I didn't want to pay ETF to get the 4S. I'm waiting for the next iteration (iPhone 5, iPhone 6, whatever).Sounds like it will be released around the time my contract is up and free upgrade kicks in.