Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithos27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
If so, what's it like? I used to have a 2.33 GHz C2D 15.4 with the 160 GB 5400 RPM HDD (wow look at all of those acronyms!). I since have upgraded to the 2.4 GHz with the 200 GB 7200 RPM HDD. I'm still waiting for it to arrive in the mail but I'm wondering how much of a difference in every day use I'll actually see with the faster HDD. Any experiences?

bamf

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
If so, what's it like? I used to have a 2.33 GHz C2D 15.4 with the 160 GB 5400 RPM HDD (wow look at all of those acronyms!). I since have upgraded to the 2.4 GHz with the 200 GB 7200 RPM HDD. I'm still waiting for it to arrive in the mail but I'm wondering how much of a difference in every day use I'll actually see with the faster HDD. Any experiences?

I've gotten it, and so far it does feel faster than my old SR 2.2 MBP with the 120GB 5,400 RPM drive - particularly when your I/O is really kicked up.

All in all, my new MBP 2.4 Penryn feels a good deal faster than my old one.

dothevampire

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
New Jersey
So far I absolutely love the 7200rpm drive. There are definite speed increases in simple tasks, i.e., opening programs and writing large files (like in Garage Band) compared to my friends older MBP w/ a 5200rpm drive.

I don't have anything to compare the battery life with but I've gotten about 4 and 1/2 hours from a full charge watching the HD "Lost" streams from abc.com while browsing the internet and doing small tasks.

I am very happy w/ my choice for the 7200rpm drive and now with 4gigs of ram on it's way from OWC, I can't wait to see what this beast can do!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.