Do you have this at the bottom of your new MBP too?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Apr 28, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

[​IMG]

It is less than perfect, but it's the underside so I doubt I'll be spending much time looking at this. Plus my first i7 antiglare had a blemish in the screen, and this one is otherwise perfect as far as I know so i don't think it's worth swapping.

It also looks worse up close and in my bathroom with like 10 overhead lights above the mirror than it does in person and in natural lighting.

Thoughts?

2. nomad421 macrumors member

Yes, I have a similar issue on the bottom of my 15" i7. Honestly, like you said, it's on the underside and I don't really care. Also, my screen is perfect, so I don't want to risk an exchange and end up with dead pixels or some crap like that.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Cool cool, yea i'll keep with it. The bottom is bound to get scratches from my belt or something anyways!

Thank you.

4. bluskale macrumors regular

5. nomad421 macrumors member

There are 3 small dents/scratches on the outer rim of the bottom of his MBP. If you look at the picture right around the curve at the edge of the laptop you can see the most noticeable one. These things probably occur during carving or construction. Luckily they are very small and tend to occur where two pieces are placed together (i.e. the bottom of the laptop).

6. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I guess he's talking about the slight imperfections on the bottom

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

They might look like dents in this pic because of the intense lighting and closeup, but it's very minor "scratches" or imperfections with the razor edge. I don't think it's worth raising a stink about though as the other guy previously mentioned.

8. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Thats a little disapointing. My 13" 2.4 unibody never had anything like this. Hopefully they havent started getting sloppy in the unibody dept. I also kept it for 2 years and never managed to get scratched on it. I will be inspecting my 15 very closely when it arrives and will report back.

9. anarchron macrumors member

Are you sure it's a manufacturing defect or just simply you being careless and getting the bottom scratched?

10. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

positive although calling it a defect might be an exaggeration. it's three little scratches that look far worse depending on the angle, light intensity, and closeness when taking the picture. In general I doubt the average customer would notice. and it's the bottom, if it were like that on the top case near the keyboard or something I'd likely get it swapped. But this machine is otherwise, as far as I know, perfect so why mess with it?

11. saschke macrumors 6502

I guess this happens in the assembly process. Really nothing major. Just overlook it :p

12. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Yeah, i was just curious. No worries thanks guys.

13. stodge macrumors member

*scratches head*

Can't says that I've even inspected my MBP for scratches! Doh!

14. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

haha yeah yesterday was the first time I looked at the underside in almost two weeks of my having my i7 antiglare -- got it as soon as they came to retailers, I couldn't be without a computer any longer. Just to show you how much I look at the underside myself haha.

15. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

If this is a new MBP, take it back and ask for replacement or money back. With the inflated price that we are paying for these things they should be perfect.

Just one user's opinion.

neil

16. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

It's not even noticeable in anything except direct sunlight and with my face very close to the machine... not exchanging/returning it, not worth my time. Plus I fear getting another one that actually has problems or screen defects -- my screen is absolutely beautiful.

I'll say again, this photo makes it look worse than it is in practice. Still interesting to note though. And only in one corner, but not bad.

:D

17. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

i havent even looked at the bottom of mine lol

18. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

just deal with it unless your ocd about things like this. I wudn't care, its not worth your time. For gods sake its 3 small scratches..see how scratched up it gets after a few months

19. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Yeah exactly my thoughts. I do have OCD with electronics, but this will be a good way to get over it, haha. You only live once!

20. aibo82 macrumors 6502

There not scratches there metal burrs from the CNC milling wich I expect are normal! Possibly just not sanded out in the final finishing or the guy who built it caught the edge with the base plate when putting in place!

Try cutting a coper pipe with a hacksaw then you'll see what a metal burr is its the sharp burred edge left by the blade!

You could exchange but it maybe worse till someone tells them guys to polish them out more in china!

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's pretty normal. Soft aluminium knocked by pretty much anything will be dinged.

I probably have a few of those on my machine too.

22. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

23. thespazz macrumors 6502a

24. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas