Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theking79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
I'm looking to get my iPhone replaced because of poor battery life (3 hours+ usage) do I have to book a Genius Bar appointment for this?

UHFrank

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Houston, TX
depends on the store i suppose, I went in yesterday morning and did it without an appointment in houston, highland village.

Last edited:

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
no, you don't need an appointment. I just did mine yesterday. swapped a black 16GB for another Black. though it did not go smoothly because there was an issue with verizon exchange. I had to do a return, lose number, and add another line.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Apple is getting outta hand with this genius bar baloney. I had to book a genius bar appointment to get a bumper for my iPhone 4.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
no, you don't need an appointment. I just did mine yesterday. swapped a black 16GB for another Black. though it did not go smoothly because there was an issue with verizon exchange. I had to do a return, lose number, and add another line.

Wrong they do need one or they will either get denied or have to wait for hours.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Wrong they do need one or they will either get denied or have to wait for hours.

this. Unless they are dead, they will make you have an appointment. They are way too busy, so even when you walk in they most likely tell you that you need a genius appointment.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
They just use the appt system to handle customers in order so you do not show up along with 200 other people at the same time and you get upset there is nobody available to help you.

It makes sense. Think about it.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I've walked into the Aventura, FL store and see if they have no shows for the Genius Bar sveral times and never been denied service. I may have waited up to a half hour or so, but they really take care of their customers here. It's probably the busiest store in Florida.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Went to my local Apple Store yesterday in Massachusetts to see if I could get a replacement black iPhone 5 since mine was scuffed and dented out of the box. I walked in with no appointment and walked over to an employee and told them that another employee had told me I could get my iPhone 5 replaced since it was damaged on arrival and they sent to the Genius Bar, and again, this was with NO appointment. I had my phone replaced and was out of there in 20 minutes.

imazu

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Couch
I had an appointment yesterday for my 4s. Same concern, battery doesn't hold long enough, I have to charge my phone at least 3x a day. I checked in and the guy asked what's my concern, I just said battery, was standing over an hour and went to the other guy to follow up and was questioning me of I checked in, and I said yes. They hurried and find a genius guy and did test on the phone. Explained basic stuff about fb notifications but when after he asked how many friends I got he said that's minimal and the phone was not even a week used. Everything passed on diagnostic. Then he said it could be environmental since I have good reception where I live. He offered to have the phone replaced so I don't have to go back. I just said ok. I then realized on my way home i have a box that doesn't match the serial of the phone. :(

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
You don't need an appointment because you're within your return window. They will probably have a genius take a quick look at it, but you won't have to wait on the regular Genius Bar line and they will exchange it regardless.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
I would personally make an appt. Some employees have no idea they have extra phones for replacements alone. This was the case for me yesterday at the first Apple store I visited.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
I've never made an appointment. They have always squeezed me in but I had to wait a little while. Sometimes 30 minutes or so.

theking79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
i ordered off the website though, do i have to take back to the store?

If I have to take it back to the store im without a phone for 2 weeks at least.

theking79

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Genius appointments are cake to make. Question is, why wouldn't you make one? :confused:

local store is booked up for a week.

Are all apple store opening early at 8am all next week? As i am able to make appointments from 8am instead of 10am.

KingCoop

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
My Apple.com phone arrived with a blemish and I didn't need a genius bar appt for a replacement. I just walked into the Apple Store and spoke with the nearest rep whom took care of me. Didn't have to wait in the iPhone 5 line or meet with a genius bar employee.

Note: I was able to keep all of the accessories from the old box as well so extra lightning cable and earpods for the inconvenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.