Do you have to get their credit card to do monthly payments?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by groovdudeyo, Oct 30, 2008.

1. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

I want the new macbook but im only 15 so getting my own credit card isnt possible and I highly doubt that I could convince my dad to get the credit card on apple.com so what can I do?

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Wait until you can afford it.

What do you use right now?

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

If you're under 18 there's nothing you can really do but to save up until you have enough to pay it all off by yourself.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

And may I suggest that even when you turn 18, don't go and get yourself into debt and get a credit card until you have good experience with managing your personal finances.

It will help you in the future avoid many of the issues that many of us are facing these days.

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I agree completely.

Hehe, sometimes I just assume that most people are good with their finances.

6. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I got their Juniper card about a year ago and have since paid it off and cancelled it.
    Do not get their Juniper Visa card!!

It has the worst interest rate of any card I've seen. And their website sucks to pay online.

7. nanvinnie macrumors regular

i agree...save up, wait and get it when you have the money... buying things on credit is dangerous. i like to use my credit card so i can get the miles, but i always pay my balance in full. it's scary having a big balance on your credit card so avoid if possible.

8. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Alright thanks people I guess I probably should save up for it but I REALLY want it NOW!!!!!!

9. nubee macrumors member

Either convince your father to help you pay for it or get yourself several part-time jobs. There's no real solution to your situation... lol

Suze Orman (one of my favourite people in the world ^_^) says you should never cancel your credit card (unless there's an annual fee involved).

10. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

There are some Apple Authorized resellers that offer financing options; e.g., CDW.com. However, you'll most likely need someone with stable income to co-sign it with you.

11. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Unless you don't use it and they cancel you for not using it. Or unless you have 3 other much better cards as I do. Or unless you simply don't care.

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Actually it is not really that bad. Your overall available credit goes down, but it also shows that you don't have too many possible venues to spend.

If a place is holding it against you that you cancel a card, I would worry about them. :)

13. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Bottom line, it really depends on your financial situation. Do you currently have any credit cards in your name? If so, are they maxed out etc. You really need to make this decision based on your current status.

For example, if you have no credit cards, I would say go ahead and get a good card with a low to 0 interest rate, and buy your new mac. If you can afford to pay it off within the 0 interest period. If you already have cards and simply are looking to extend credit because you have maxed out your other cards. Then NO do not get another card, especially the JUNIPER card. I closed it with a 28 percent interest rate. If you feel like paying 100 dollars a month in interest by all means go ahead.

But I would look at the rest of the country as a prime (no pun intended) example of why you should buy things with money you ACTUALLY have. But it's your life, your credit, and your decision. Just use your brain and common sense, do your research on the cards. And figure out actual costs if your going to use a card.