Carrier Do You Have To Trade In & Pay Off Next Phone @ AT&T Store Only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djransom, Nov 19, 2014.

1. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I would like to trade in my 5S for a 6 Plus, but I'm currently on Next. I'm aware I would have to pay off my 5S plus trade it in to make this, but does this have to be @ AT&T or can any store process this transaction? Thanks in advance?

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

i believe you can buy a new phone at best buy and at&t will send you a box to send the old phone back. same with buying on at&t site.

3. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

You can't trade your phone into a store. You have to send it back in the box they give you. When you get sent your new phone just send your traded in one back in the box.

4. YouGoGlenCocoa macrumors member

Be careful with this. I found my 6+ at best buy mobile and they would not let me turn in my 5s. So i got around that by paying the remaining balance, thru my att app and it reflected an open line upgrade immediately. Im not sure if best buy will take it but theyre all real finicky. I'd do it at att if u plan on turning it it..

5. djransom thread starter macrumors 68040

djransom

Now this answers my question. That's what I was thinking that I would have to go through AT&T since I was trading it in and paying the balance. I need to find an AT&T store and BB near each other to make this happen.

6. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Once you pay off your next balance online or in an AT&T corporate store, you should be immediately eligible (if you make sure AT&T clears it). then, you can buy from whomever.

7. YouGoGlenCocoa macrumors member

Glad i could help a little. I know i was furious when i drove 2 hrs for a 6+ when they were impossible to find only to be told i couldnt get it. (Ghetto ass workers told me i could trade in my phone and everything over the phone) shouldve known not to believe them. Anyway, paid off 5s for $180, sold it for $350.00 on craigslist. Worth lol.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

To be clear, you don't have to turn it in the same day. You simply need to make sure that you have the 12 or 18 months paid off at the time you want to pick uo the following device. Once you add another device to NEXT, this will trigger Att to send you a box. You have 14 days to return that device before being charged for the remainder of the MSRP value at the time of original ourchase.

I confirmed this all with a csr over the phone two days ago. Mom has a 16gb 5s on our account and she takes so many pictures that Her storage is full. She just got it, but I figured I'd surprise her for Christmas and just oay the balance and upgrade her to a 64gb 6. She pays her monthly portion, so if just have to fork out her remaining payments. Easy Christmas gift haha.

9. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I like how you leveraged this into a great upgrade, very reasonably. It's easy to get in a rut. I know because I generally buy my phones outright, but seeing this program is interest free, going this way is advantageous...:)