Do you have wireless internet at your house / what year did you get Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iParis, Jan 19, 2009.

?

Do you have wireless internet in your home?

1. Yes.

104 vote(s)
    98.1%
  2. Kinda, I steal my neighbor's internet.

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  3. No.

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I got Wi-Fi- about a two years ago.
    For me it seems like there's so much more freedom.
    I use it for my Wii, iPod, and two laptops.
    It's unsecured mainly because one of my neighbors is an old guy who probably doesn't use the internet and the other is my landlord who has his own secure connection.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My Belkin 802.11g has worked since 2005.

I can't find a decent replacement for it. :(

3. Queso macrumors G4

Yep. WPA2 with long randomised key, MAC restricted, and with no SSID broadcast. Not perfect, but unless I was going to spend corporate money it's the best I was going to get :)

4. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Yes I do. But secure yours anyway.

If someone logs onto your wi-fi, starts downloading hundreds of torrents, whose going to get blamed? Maybe the landlord uses his for regular stuff, and yours for downloading.

Just a thought.

5. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I'd probably notice a slow internet connection if he was torrenting from my wifi.
    Plus, I already download hundreds of torrents. :p

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think it is foolish to not secure your Wi-Fi. I am not saying setup IP and MAC address filtering, but jeez at LEAST use WEP (though WPA is much less of a headache).

7. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

yep i have a Linksys(geh) gigibit n in the house and a belkin G in the shop

8. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Have the TC sending wireless but it is WPA2 secured, no SSID transmission and MAC filtering

9. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Yep - since 2002! In fact, i don't think we ever had any other kind of network. Just dial up and then straight to wireless networked broadband.

I think i'll see if I can change the channel though, because there seems to be a lot of noise from surrounding networks also on channel 6.

Maybe this thread should be "what year did you get a wireless network"?

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Channels 1, 6, and 11 are spammed to death around here.

I'm thinking about moving my phones to 5.8 GHz to help alleviate the problem as well.

11. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I hope the new title of the thread is better.

12. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

When i got Fios in 2007 they gave me a wireless router and about a year later it crapped out on me and I got an airport extreme.

ChrisN

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Gosh I think I've had wifi since at least 2003 (thinking about places I've lived). Now I would be semi lost without it in the house.

14. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

When we switched from dial-up to our DSL connection, they gave us one of those 2Wire modems that doubles as a wireless router. That was in 2003. Now we've got cable internet thats 4x faster and much nicer wireless setup.

15. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Huh. I suppose I should secure mine. Too bad I think I lost the disc.

16. macJC50640 macrumors regular

No

I don't have WiFi right now, but I am looking into it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a router that's Mac and PC compatible? I use the Mac, obviously, but some people in the house use the PC. I am new to the forums, I just registered 5 minutes ago! Thanks! :)

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I managed to get it in late 2003/early 2004 in anticipation of my PowerBook. I sold it as untethering my wife who often brings her work laptop home.

I had a Linksys WRT54G set up for most of that time, although I now use the at&t U-verse modem/router (2wire).

Channel 2 is currently my best channel (get close to the 10 mbps download when doing speakeasy speedtests). WPA2 encryption, no SSID broadcast. I know there are other networks in the neighborhood but I only use mine.

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I had it since the iBook g3 days.... =)

Currently 2 wireless networks
    - dedicated G
    - dedicated N (5.xghz)

Btw, for anyone who want to hack you,
    MAC restricted, and with no SSID broadcast provides minimal roadblock. WPA2 works at this time.

19. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I've had it since it was first commercially available. My house was completely wired with ethernet at great expense, and it became totally obselete a few years later when wifi became viable.

I run 2 linksys "N" routers. SSID broadcast on (because that's not stopping anyone) and wpa2 random key.

20. gonyr macrumors 6502

I've had it for about 4 years or so. It's totally open and unsecured, but I live in the country. My nearest neighbors are well outside the range of the router. Somebody would have to be in my driveway, right outside my living room window, to pick up a signal.

21. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Yes, some Linksys POS I've had for way too long. I need to get an Airport Extreme or some other N router.

My MacPro is wired, and I'm rarely on the Macbook Pro, so I'm lazy about it.

22. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

2004, when I switched to Macs I also bought an Airport Express. It died last year, and I bought a Linksys. WAP security in a neighborhood that has five other wifi networks within range of my own.

23. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

About 5 years now. Still rocking the Linksys WRT54G (even though the first one was damaged in a thunderstorm. WAN port stopped working, but I managed to sell it anyway). I actually bought a NetGear router a few weeks ago to use at our timeshare in NH. Free internet access, but wired only, and I couldn't get a strong enough signal to hop on someone else's network.

24. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've had wireless since I got my iBook G3 about 5-6 years ago. Was necessary to keep from tripping over long ethernet cable strung around house. Now I have a 4 story townhouse and have wifi all over, even in the garage level.