Do you help homeless, or other people on the street?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by todd2000, Oct 27, 2009.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Normally if somebody asks me for some money or something, I just say "Sorry man I don't have any cash on me" or something like that, which is usually the truth, I use Debit for everything. Just a few hours ago I was walking out of a shop, and a women caught me on the way to the car, she said "Excuse me sir, Im pregnant and lost my Job can you help." I figured why not, and gave her the change I had left which was about $1.50.

She then asked me which way I was going, clearly hinting that she wanted a ride, since it was raining. I just said "Sorry I cant I gotta go." Giving her a little money was one thing, but no hitchhikers allowed in my car, regardless of their "story."

Would you have given her anything, or given her a ride?

2. prodigee macrumors 6502a

If I know the guy is homeless, (I do charity work at homeless shelters so I typically know who is homeless and not). So yeah if I know they are homeless and clean then they will get some cash from me. But regardless of who they are, no one EVER gets a ride from me (hitchhikers) because I am only 16 that is certainly a risk I am not willing to take, nor will I ever.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. macridah macrumors 6502a

macridah

i usually don't give money to people that literally just stick out their hand. ever since the day i stopped at a stoplight and a person stuck out there hand and asked for money and behind him was a guy trying to sell oranges, I said should I give my $1 to a guy dong nothing or the other guy at least trying.

but then i wanted to be a little nicer after a while and said if the person asking for money is trying, at least a little, then i might give that person spare change ... ie breakdance, sing, or even tell jokes (you see this a lot in nor-cal and so-cal.)

5. maddagascar macrumors regular

majority of the times, its for drugs if you look at their teeth. i understand obviously if there homeless, they can't take care of them selves..but even just taking a glance at the arm for hyper-dermic needle holes for injections.

and this one guy, i was on one side of town one week, then the next week i'm at a restaurant on the other side of town, then he's there asking for money..saying his family is in a car and he needs money..and will give me his watch for a ride... :rolleyes: yeaaah oooooookkkk buddy. his story the first time was he needs money to catch a bus..

---atleast this is what happens where i live..and sometimes i'll give money them..just depends how i'm feeling..but i rarely do.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I usually keep an extra granola or energy bar in my bag to hand out.

Lethal

7. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

I used to, but I stopped since I never carry cash anymore. Debit cards are everywhere in Europe, so noone does :|

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I usually don't as I'm not sure where the money would go. I don't want to inadvertently support an alcohol or drug habit. I do give to organizations that help the homeless.

9. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I don't give money to them unless they are "working" for it. There are ones that have cool costumes and they tell jokes, or ones that play an instrument and sing. I give them upwards of ten dollar bills if they are good enough. But ones that ask, I tell them give me a reason because I don't do hand-outs. I work hard for my money and I'm not going to just give it to someone. Because, be honest, half of them aren't really homeless and actually make money pretending to be homeless.

10. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Having been homeless more than once myself, I've never participated but I know a lot of the basic scams (I actually did day labor, rather than fly a sign at an off ramp begging as do about half of those without a residence)--don't give the guy holding the sign money, more likely than not it will be spent on booze and drugs, crack is surprisingly cheap and a lot of those freeloading bastards actually made a lot more in handouts than I did in a day wasting it on crap. The rest of those who are homeless it is much harder to notice that they are, because even then most of that group actually hold some sort of paying job despite not having a mailing address it's a little tricky sometimes but it is possible.

11. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Me and my friends go out twice a month and spend $50 on blankets from good will. Then we pass them out to homeless downtown after hours.

And yes, I give food to the homeless when I'm passing by. I don't usually give them money though.

Also, you truly know if someone is homeless if they are out after hours.

12. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

If I've got a little spare change sometimes I will, depending on my impressions of the person, but never more than a few coins. But I work in the Homeless services industry (I'm in healthcare) and I happen to know that most money can be put to far better use if it's donated to places such as shelters, free clinics, or detox facilities.

My clinic donates free health care specifically to homeless individuals, so I have a very large amount of familiarity with the situation many homeless find themselves in. We rely very heavily on donations to subsidize the shortages we find ourselves in when the federal grant money runs out. We're doing the kind of work that helps people get their lives under control so they can have some chance of finding work and housing. Sitting on a street corner and begging for change does nothing to support the learning of self reliance.

Generally, I'd say rather than give money to beggars, donate to homeless service providers so they can do the real work of helping these people help themselves.

My favorite sign that I see is the guys who claim they are homeless and sick, and are collecting money to pay for a doctor's care. I usually walk right up to them and offer to show them the way to the homeless clinic, but I've yet to have one of them take me up on it. :confused:

SLC

13. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

No, I NEVER give cash. I have offered to buy some food for a few "Homeless people" like at Mc. Donalds and they have denied it. All they want is Money for Crack. I love my Hood.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I had errands to run all day so I was walking up and down a main road for literally 5 hours (no car). I went to burger king and stuffed myself so full of fries that I couldn't eat. So I had a tendercrisp untouched for a good two hours. I ran into a homeless man on the walk and gave him my sandwich and five dollars.

Frankly, I don't care what he did with the money, all I know is I gave him an opportunity, what he did with it is up to him.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so if he bought drugs, thats ok? i wouldnt like knowing im supporting a drug habit and the drug dealers

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No homeless people around here. When I went to denver I bought a cheeseburger for a homeless guy though.

17. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Only thing I give to the homeless is left over food. And that's only to the ones who you can tell really want to eat.

When I was walking down Michigan ave (here in Chicago), there was this couple who gave their left over giordano's deep dish pizza to this homeless guy. He actually was very grateful for it and when I walked by him 20 minutes later, he was sitting on a step still eating it. Those are the only type of people I am willing to give something to.

Now, the homeless that stand at intersections and bug everyone at the intersection waiting for the walk sign, I have no respect for them.

18. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It is hard to tell these days. I would love to help them out, but it is hard thanks to the following:

a. They are pretending to be homeless- in this economy, people will try anything to get a little extra cash. Homeless people generally would not listen to their iPod while holding up the sign.

b. Drugs/Booze- I want them to better themselves, not waste money on this crap.

c. Destroys Public Property- I take Valley Metro buses, and trains all the time, and although most of the homeless can't afford the bus at $5.25/day pass, those who can would mess up the buses and the trains. I for one prefer clean buses, and trains that don't get trashed. Public restrooms are everywhere, so there is no need to piss on the sidewalk!

d. If any of these I would not help them out, but if they can prove to me they don't do any of these bad things, I would be glad to do all I can to help that person out, and even go as far as taking them into my home if they can clean up, get a job, and work to get back on their feet....unfortunately my dream of doing this can't happen, because one bad apple, does spoil the whole bushel.

19. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I know your Metro Light Rail is new and all, but it is still 100x cleaner and nicer than the public trains in Chicago.

20. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

You know, it's not really charity if they have to take a written exam to get a quarter... That's more like bureaucracy.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I don't give money to the homeless, not even change. I believe that the society we have developed has support built into it to help the homeless find jobs, earn enough money to find a home, get food, etc. I certainly don't mind some of my tax money towards this, or donating money to organisations that exist to help. I just don't see the point of directly giving money to the homeless, therefore bypassing the support and infrastructure developed to help these people? Are they not going through the process that's there to help? If so, is it because it may be too much work, or they have drug issues? I just rather have every one of them go through this support network. It's probably much more organised and effective at solving individual problems. It's also more hands-off for me, but that's coincidental. I want to help these people, but I don't believe giving out money helps unless an organisation is doing so and checking on their job situation.

EDIT: I'm on the train xoming home from work, and a teenage girl got on the train and is asking for money!! Weird coincidence. Sadly, she also looks high. :(

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Not usually but I have asked a man who was holding up a sign saying "hungry, please help" if he wanted something from McDonald's because it was nearby/easy and I was in my car. He said he'd love a quarter pounder so I got him a meal at the drive-thru and gave it to him. He thanked me profusely and it gave me an enormous sense of well-being and then I was happy for the rest of the day. Safe in the knowledge that there will always be a bit of my heart devoted to it. (parklife!)

Another time I saw a couple that looked completely strung-out. They had a dog too. Not wanting to contribute to what appeared to be a drug habit but still being sad for the dog, I asked if they wanted dog food and if they had a preference for that. They said a medium sized bag of whatever hard kibble would do nicely since they were on foot. I came back with it and they thanked me profusely and it gave me an enormous sense of well-being and then I was happy for the rest of the day. Safe in the knowledge that there will always be a bit of my heart devoted to it. (parklife!)

I sometimes give money to street performers and buskers that particuarly appeal to me. That's pretty much the extent of my help though. I'm perhaps a little bit calloused to it having lived in places that have a very extensive homeless problem. There should be decent support facilities that they should be able to go to in order to receive more help than what a handout could provide. I remain entirely sympathetic even if I'm unsure of what the appropriate thing to do is. Homelessness a horrible situation and one that can creep up on the best of us.

(pardon me on the parklife thing, it just came to mind and I went with it)

23. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I do most of the time but only if they don't ask. I hate to be harassed. And I give mainly during winter.

24. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

This is true.
    My charity is very seasonal.
    Dogs don't work on me so much.
    Now if I saw a homeless person with a cat, well, I'd probably go and buy a whole basket full of kitteh food.

Not to sound glib though, being self-employed I know very well that there is no comfy safety blanket.
    There is no "friendly" big company to pick up the tab…

And I never stand in judgment. Who knows what tomorrow may bring? (I just look the other way)
    :eek:

25. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I absolutely do not. Here in England, there is no reason for anyone to be homeless - the state is there to help and offer accomodation/healthcare etc - that's one of the reasons we all pay taxes - to ensure the wellbeing of all.

By giving them cash one is (most likely) just funding their drug or alcohol problems. Being homeless is a choice - they can get help and accomodation. By giving them money, the public are ensuring they remain homeless rather than getting that help.

There's a homeless guy I often see on the way to work. One day I saw him withdrawing money from a cash machine. What's that all about??