Do you (if you're American) care what the world thinks about this election?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hello.there, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Okay, before some folk lose their heads - this is an American election for an American president who will be elected by American citizens and it's none of the world's business who is elected or why.

Right, we've got that out of the way.

And no, of course what the rest of the world thinks won't even remotely be a factor in all of this.

That's sorted. We're all agreed.

But I'm just interested in opinions on this, bearing in mind the generally shaky relations between the US and much of the rest of the world these past eight years (let's be honest, one of the reasons Tony Blair is an ex-PM is because of his association with George W).

Does it matter to you at all how the rest of the world views this election and what message they will take from the result, particularly considering the U.S. can never win the so-called 'war on terror' alone?

I know, the right-wingers will tell me where to stick my curiosity, that America stands alone, etc, etc, but those of you who actually give some thought to these issues, what do you reckon? Interested.

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Of course I care what the rest of the world thinks. I remember September 12, 2001 when we had the world behind us ready to do whatever it took to get the group that attacked us.

I remember watching that support drop off in the following months as we insisted on going it alone and started on the path to Iraq.

Given the world economy now and the dependence we have of foreign resources I'd rather have a leader that is on good terms with the other leaders and is viewed favorably by the citizens of other nations rather than stick around with the current setup.

We're not alone in the world and it's time we started realizing that we may be the richest and strongest, for now, but we will need the help and support of others if we wish to remain great.

3. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I think it does matter (though not necessarily basing my vote on the world's opinion) and I do care. If dangerous fanatics like Bin Laden can gain credibility with mainstream people in the Middle East, for example, that makes the world more dangerous (including for us), and both sides escalate, and there are even more excuses to take away what remaining liberties we have left. (Which is why Bin Laden wanted Bush to be re-elected, and was smarter than 100 million voters, I guess, by saying he wanted KErry). If the world's population in general thinks that the problem is not just our government, but us, as US citizens (re-electing Bush was bad enough, but then continuing on that track? Outrageous) then, while the world becomes "global," we become more isolated. Our citizens, with the constant rhetoric, view the U.S. even more as the center of the world, and in danger, and who cares about anyone else. It's then easier to portray the world as such a dangerous place and of course we need protection from it, increasing our military and making everyone else more wary. Very scary. I was living abroad in 2001 -- the difference between the US before and after was windblowing when I returned, since I wasn't here for the change, and the difference of other people's perceptions of me as a US citizen after November 2004 was also striking. (much more negative, much less likely to think of me as separate from my government) I have always been more concerned with domestic issues than international ones, but I think our place in the world is perhaps more important than ever in history, and I'm personally terrified -- that's not just rhetoric -- really terrified. Governments can do scary things without the approval of their populations, but it gets even scarier when their populations approve of those actions.

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Up to a point, I do care what the rest of the world thinks about my Country. I suppose the exception is, we need to make a decision, which others will take exception to. Conflicting interests will always be with us. With that being said, if we have been truthful, respectful, and established good relations with most of the world, then even unpopular decisions will be understood.

When I travel, I am always on my best manners, and respectful of that country's culture. As a country, we should behave the same.

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I think it's important to know what the rest of the world thinks about this country.

In fact, I'd feel better if the election was left up to the rest of the world. At least they see that McCain is nothing more than Bush v.2.

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm not sure the question is framed well. What the world thinks is just not quantifiable. Sure, the BBC conducted a poll that suggest Obama by a landslide if the world elected our newest Big Brother. However, that doesn't really matter to me, and I can't see why it would matter to anyone. What does matter to me is the impact of the outcome of this election on the rest of the world. I do think Obama has the sanest, most balanced, and practical foreign policy of the two candidates and I worry about the continued saber rattling if McCain is elected....

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

First off I'm not American but if I was I'd be very concerned about the power being exercised by extremely rich non residents who have as far as I can see more say in the policies of the two major candidates than the members of the parties. I would have used Murdoch as an example but as he's purchased US citizenship I guess technically he's out.Because of the way they operate it is hard to collect evidence but looking at policies you will see things very advantageous for some non US capitalists with no apparent advantage to US citizens.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

First of all, it's this bullish attitude the rest of the world doesn't like. You're a military and financial superpower. We don't want you to get the wrong guy in charge or **** your economy up so much that it hits everyone else.

9. shikimo macrumors 6502

Interesting comment...could you provide some more details? Anybody rich enough can purchase residency almost anywhere (Germany and Austria being the only two exceptions I know of, although there may very well be others), so I'm not sure what residency has to do with it, but I would like to know specifically to whom you refer and in what ways these people are influencing the policies of the two candidates. Not a challenge, just looking for details:).

As for the question in general, as a US citizen who has lived in Asia and Europe for extended periods, I can only confirm the obvious: the America-first attitude hurts everybody, including Americans, on many levels and ought to be seen as the dying reflex of an out-of-date foreign policy supported by those who can't stomach a future not dominated by American economic and military power. The ability to suppress this reflex and integrate into an unpredictable 21st-century world order will be the single greatest challenge of American leadership for at least 2 decades.

10. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

There are many people who would like to see McCain elected for the simple reason that it would be a wake up call for everyone, particularly people in Europe and the rest of the Anglosphere.

If McCain wins, then it will finally be evident to these people that the US is a fundamentally different kind of society to the other democracies, and that they need to stop pretending that there are significant shared values and this thing called "The West". The truth is that the US is far far to the right of all the other democracies and has a much more authoritarian (in the social psychology sense) political culture.

International relations would probably run more smoothly if people adopted a realist understanding of them, but they don't because of all this propaganda about "democratic nations" and "shared values". Understanding the US as just another country (like China) that you have to deal with would be more productive.

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'll see what I can dig up and get back.Although it's not the same thing I was talking of the huge Israeli PR machine in Washington is an example of undue outside influence.

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think the rest of the world is just jealous of how seriously we take the assignment of picking the leader of the free world.

I find it so heartwarming when every election cycle the eligible citizenry of this country study up on every issue and analyze the positions of all the candidates with an intellectual rigor that is the envy of the world.

I wish the rest of the world would all just formalize their bids for entry into the union, that way all this talk about sovereignty of nations could be done away with.

(yes, it's sarcasm)

13. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

To answer nothing more than the question posed in the title of the OP - no, I don't care what the rest of the world thinks about the election.

That said, I disagree with the rest of the OP that both implies and expressly states that our presidential election/choice doesn't affect the rest of the world. Of course it does. We like to lend money to other countries; we like to borrow money from other countries; we like to collect on debts from other countries; we like to give away money to other countries; we like to intervene militarily in other countries; we like to recognize other countries; we like to not recognize other countries. The list goes on. Those are all reasons our presidential election is not just about/for us.

Again, though, back to the original question and question only. No, I don't care what the rest of the world thinks about the electiion.

14. djellison macrumors 68020

I'm afraid it is - and you would have to be monumentally ignorant, short sighted and blinkered to think otherwise. What Bush has spent the last 8 years doing has effected every single person on this planet. It's out business because he's made it so

DOug

15. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

I care very deeply for what it's worth. I'd like to be proud of this country in thinking the next president would represent the best and the brightest of our people instead of some puppet of the super elite. Bush being re-elected pretty much destroyed any and all credibility of the vote counting. I don't believe either his original election or especially his re-election was legit. I don't believe people are overall that stupid. I don't believe this election is even close. McCain has no business even being considered and Palin?

Obama on the other hand is at least addressing the important issues. National Security is of course important, but the myth that the right wing is somehow the custodian of that task is utter and complete nonsense as evidenced by pretty much everything the current administration has done both foreign and domestic. We're no safer nor better off than 8 years ago. Obama may well be a very smooth talking "politician," but there are certain things one can't fake. That is to say, he's shown intelligence, quality of character, and class along with his political message. I can honestly say he's worthy of his candidacy which, given the other choice makes him the only choice in this election.

Again, how it's close or being portrayed as such in the media is troublesome. I can only imagine the rest of the world is holding their breath while shaking their heads.

Let me ask the rest of the world this:

Is there anyone out there who wants McCain elected? Anyone?

16. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Unfortunately, the UK military (as well as the Canadian, Australian and New Zeland militaries) are now merely subsections of the US military, tying foreign policy indefinately. So for those nations at least, there is no escaping the close bonds, which have nothing to do with ideology.

17. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Barack has the opportunity to bring in 'the best and the brightest' to his cabinet/government. I really like Hillary for Secretary of State. She would truly be outstanding in that role. With McCain we will get more of this idiots from Trinity University.