Do you iPad 3 owners feel like you have lost 500$ or more?

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
In certain way I would, but just only for the A6X. I dont care much about the lightning port and such, but if I had bought the iPad 3 (which costs a LOT, almost like a windows laptop or mac mini if you get the bigger storage models) I would feel like I just threw 500$ to the rubbish.

The A6X will bring a noticeable difference, specially in the future iOS 7 and 8 updates.

Ipads are not cheap by any means. 500$ is the cheapest one. Imagine someone who bought the 32GB WIFI + LTE or the 64GB. That feeling would just be terrible.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Imagine someone who bought the 32GB WIFI + LTE or the 64GB. That feeling would just be terrible.
Yes, it would be terrible to be them since their iPad 3s now are just 1.5 lb paperweights. They won't charge, turn on, run the same apps as yesterday. It is a total catastrophe!

Call the BBB, call your Congressman or Senator and ask for a Congressional investigation, call the Navy.:eek:

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
In certain way I would, but just only for the A6X. I dont care much about the lightning port and such, but if I had bought the iPad 3 (which costs a LOT, almost like a windows laptop or mac mini if you get the bigger storage models) I would feel like I just threw 500$ to the rubbish.

The A6X will bring a noticeable difference, specially in the future iOS 7 and 8 updates.

Ipads are not cheap by any means. 500$ is the cheapest one. Imagine someone who bought the 32GB WIFI + LTE or the 64GB. That feeling would just be terrible.
Or, just sell the damn thing and don't lose $500. I mean, it still works ffs. Throwing 500$ to the rubbish is a bit of an over-reaction isn't it? if you feel that way you should toss that new iPad in the trash I guess

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
Cant say I am bothered as I sold two of my iPad 3's but kept mine. The processor, graphics I could not care less for. I use my iPad to browse the web and use for music and recipes in the kitchen and email and face time. I will simply order two new ones to replace the ones sold for the wife and daughter and order the youngest a mini.
I normally update all my I.T on a yearly basis machine so in no hurry yet for myself.

ixbilalxi

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
Yes, it would be terrible to be them since their iPad 3s now are just 1.5 lb paperweights. They won't charge, turn on, run the same apps as yesterday. It is a total catastrophe!

Call the BBB, call your Congressman or Senator and ask for a Congressional investigation, call the Navy.:eek:
I'm not sure the navy would have enough ships to send what with us having less than we did in 1902 or whatever.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I bought an iPad3 the day it came out (64GB + LTE). I use it everyday at work and at home. I'm glad Apple updated it but I will be using my same iPad 3 until it dies. No regrets and no tears.

kevink2

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I bought the high end model, with Applecare, so I'm "stuck" for at least another 18 months. And if Apple goes to a fall cycle, 2 years.

Have to expect newer versions to come out. It is just a little surprising for it to be 7 months.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I bought the high end model, with Applecare, so I'm "stuck" for at least another 18 months. And if Apple goes to a fall cycle, 2 years.

Have to expect newer versions to come out. It is just a little surprising for it to be 7 months.
I've heard applecare can be refunded pro-rated if you sell, or you can sell for more with it transferred.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
I've heard applecare can be refunded pro-rated if you sell, or you can sell for more with it transferred.
It can. They did this for me on my Iphone 4s, when I got the Iphone 5. It does take a couple of weeks though.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I got my 32GB wifi iPad the day it came out and didn't think twice about ignoring the new iPads. I really like the size of the mini but not enough to dump what I have now.

kevink2

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
The only performance issue I've ever noticed with my iPad is in some magazine apps. Where the screen drawing wasn't as smooth as I remembered on the older models. Displaying blocks at a time.

If I was planning on buying models more frequently, I wouldn't have over purchased. I don't need 64GB at this time, but I figured by the time 2 years had passed, I may.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
My iPad 1 still works great....

People that buy new iPads every year and now are crying need to shut up. They have no good reason why they should be upset, already have a great tablet.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Not at all. I got my iPad [3] on launch day and seeing the new A6, improved FaceTime camera and new dock connector isn't enough for me to feel robbed. I don't need any of those things per se. I'm happy with what I have and it should carry me through for at least another 1-2 years, if not longer.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
No I don't feel like I lost $500 since i've had my iPad 3 since launch. What I do know is i'll never buy a newly released iDevice ever again. I'll wait 6-7 months for a cycle refresh. :)

amazonpam

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
No regrets

I always assume when I buy an electronic gadget that as I'm walking out the door with my purchase, a better faster model is coming in the back. My iPad3 works as well today as it did yesterday, so I remain satisfied.
I'll probably get a new ipad when my partner's hand me down original iPad dies and psss my 3 on and get whatever the latest model is.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
What are iPad 3 owners really pissed about anyways? Just these 3 features right?

A6x chip
Lightning
Facetime HD

Thats it right?

Or is it mainly the fact that their iPad isn't the newest generation anymore?

OneBigFatNinja

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
Not at all. I got my iPad [3] on launch day and seeing the new A6, improved FaceTime camera and new dock connector isn't enough for me to feel robbed. I don't need any of those things per se. I'm happy with what I have and it should carry me through for at least another 1-2 years, if not longer.
Exactly this. I don't feel iPad 3 owners think the upgrade is worth 'trading up' to the 4th Gen. I have a pretty new iPhone 4S and a good dock that I use my old 2009 iPod and 4S on. I do not need a lightning port and don't feel my iPad 3 is redundant.. $500 six months ago. No chance will I be changing.

The iPad 4th gen is a good product for first time buyers or iPad 1 owners in my opinion.

iPad mini... Yuk no thanks! Poor showing for the price they are charging I feel.

TRMC13

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012

No, only the Avengers can truly avenge the savagery of today's actions!

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Would I love to be able to charge my iPhone and iPad with the same connector, yes. Will I lose sleep over it, no. In fact, this change helped me find a great deal on a 3rd Gen Wi-Fi for only 379.00 when I was planning to drop 399.00 on an iPad 2.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Actually I saved $100 with today's release. I am buying a refurb iPad 3 from Apple and they dropped another $100 today :D

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Anyone who upgrades or plans to upgrade an idevice every time a new version comes out is going to get bitten in the ass at some point. It's inevitable.

I think people are more pissed off at having been caught so completely by surprise. There were rumors but they weren't take seriously.

Markdek

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
Actually I saved $100 with today's release. I am buying a refurb iPad 3 from Apple and they dropped another $100 today :D
I think that is a mistake (my opinon); clearly, Apple themselves feel that the iPad 3 was a mistake/lemon/poor design. The early update, and the pricing of referbs below a new iPad 2 support this contention.

Look, Apple have now stepped up and fixed the iPad 3, w/ the iPad 4; just buy the iPad 4.