do you judge people by their facebook?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by NewGenAdam, May 22, 2011.

?

do you?

1. yes

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. no

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. sort of...

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

By the number of friends, photos, wall posts they have?

It makes people very easy to quantifiably compare, but I don't necessarily think the numbers have much actual meaning...

2. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

How do you quickly get how many wall posts someone has?

3. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

love this! And @cherry su, I mean a quick glance at what they've recently been up to...

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I judge but not by the criteria you raise. I judge them on what they post. I've very little tolerance for anything racist or sexist or classis. Been quite disappointed by some old friends/acquaintances.

5. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

Makes sense. Thing is, personally, I post very few status updates: I mostly respond to what people post on my wall, and post on others' walls. What would you make of that?!

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

As I said it would depend on the content of what you posted.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't do Facebook.

So I judge you, just for being on it. ;)

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

+1

Facebook has potential but since one gives up all rights to privacy when joining, I see no use for it. So, I obviously don't read people's "walls" but I do question why so many are so willing to sacrifice their privacy while getting nothing in return.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Everyone, almost, wants their 15 nano-seconds of fame. I guess. :confused:

Never went there, never will.

Oh, the OP needed a "What's Facebook" option. :p

10. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

On the contrary: drunk wall posts.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The more everybody tells me I just !have! to be on Facebook, the more I resist doing it.

I have seen it via some open pages belonging to organizations. Given the hype, I'm very unimpressed. It strikes me as Yahoo Groups with really teeny type.

12. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I lock down my Facebook to the fullest extent possible.
    While looking for a new job one of the future interviewers inadvertently click on request. I only share with friends.

They also looked at my Linkedin as did nearly all the potential companies/HR departments did.

Personally I don't judge by someone's Facebook.

13. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Perfectly put.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Each to their own I guess. For me the attraction is that it's entirely customisable what content is displayed. In addition to it being a great way to keep in touch with my friends and family all over the world I follow for instance scientific journals, botanic gardens, and animal welfare organisations. You get to see and be involved in some amazing stuff that I wouldn't otherwise be privy to. It's much the same with twitter. It's only as good as you set it up.

15. 184550 Guest

Precisely.

I've defriended several people in recent months for their, IMO, tasteless and classless posts that I wouldn't want someone else to associate with me.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

How exactly do you give up "all rights to privacy" when joining? Does facebook come and put a live streaming webcam in every room of your house to watch you 24/7? No.

You are only giving up privacy if you decide to put your private data on the website. For me, if I don't want people to know something, I keep it off facebook. I mostly just use it for mindless entertainment (like posting status updates to discuss current sporting games and stuff) and for sharing pictures with my friends. As long as I control which pictures I put up there, there isn't really a problem. I have to add someone as a friend to be able to see any of it anyways.

17. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I judge you if your always putting up cryptic/whining/plain stupid, status updates.

Other than that not really, though I can tell if your fat or not....

18. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I'm not on Facebook because I don't want old acquaintances getting back in touch with me. There's a reason we lost contact, I'd like to keep it that way. It's bad enough they keep asking common friends about me. :mad:

19. 184550 Guest

Maybe you shouldn't have done things that invite questions. ;)

20. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Yeah, I should really stop being a funny and pleasant person to be around with, then people I don't want to be with would stop trying to get in touch with me. ;)

21. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

My FB is pretty darn well quiet. o_O I have about 20 "friends" on there, about a half dozen of whom will be deleted come Friday when my semester is over and I don't have to talk to them anymore ^_^

22. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

This.

I have no issues with privacy or lack thereof; I just like being a contrarian SOB. :p

That said, don't you dare take my LinkedIn away...

23. samiwas Suspended

As for the topic: sure, I judge people by what they post...it's kind of human nature.

As for the discussions about giving up privacy...whatever. Exactly what am I giving up that I'm not VOLUNTARILY putting up there? I put up some pictures, update my status when I have something witty to say, and check in every now and then to fun places. I don't have every detail of my mundane life up there.

Every single post, photo, and everything else is controllable as to who can see it. While my mom and step mother are "friends", they can't see any of my wall posts...I don't need them to see my overly-sarcastic comments. Everything else can only be seen by friends, except very general information like I'm male and I'm from Atlanta. You can be like my wife, who has a block list of over 200 people...meaning those people can't even tell she exists on facebook.

Having been on tour with several different entertainment companies spanning over a decade, I have friends in every corner of the world. Many I haven't seen or talked to in years. Not all are the best friends I would keep in touch with constantly, but this bridges that gap. Many people take the "If I haven't talked to you, then I don't want to talk to you" approach. I find that pretty sad. Keeping up with all those people and what happened to them in the past years has been great. Even connected with a guy who was my best friend when I was around 6-10 years old, after falling out of touch for almost 20 years. Got to meet up last year...that's pretty awesome if you ask me.

On the other hand, I have never used LinkedIn, Twitter, Friendster, or any other social networking tool except MySpace back in the day (deleted account there).