Do you know Ebonics? The Justice wants YOU!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/justice-department-seeks-ebonics-experts

AUGUST 23--The Department of Justice is seeking to hire linguists fluent in Ebonics to help monitor, translate, and transcribe the secretly recorded conversations of subjects of narcotics investigations, according to federal records.

I guess the Oakland school board was ahead of its time. A "language" which the majority of linguists would not want to discuss the existence of. How do you get certified in this language?

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Something tells me this isn't the sort of thing they teach at Berlitz.

Rosetta Stone...maybe. :D

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Before you judge, download some images of inner city graffiti and tell me what they mean. It took me a long time to figure it out.

There are people who understand tattoos, hand signals, graffiti, and language hired every day in police departments, jails, and prisons.

You're amazingly misinformed if you didn't think that was an in demand skill.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Golly!

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I couldn't give a rat's behind about the Ebonics angle.

I just hope all that monitoring and recording is done under a warrant.

7. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hey, if the DOJ really wants to go after some miscreants...

[​IMG]

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Thats actually a pretty good photoshop job...

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes. Mouse giggled, somewhat, except for the horror of the Palin visage.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not really. It's a slap-together job. Took me 20 minutes, tops. Shading, body angles etc. are all off. But thanks anyway. :D

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

13. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Can you please name one of these linguists? I'm sure you can find opinion articles by non-linguists, but I doubt you will find a single credible linguist who will say standard English is superior to ebonics/African American English. They will all say the same thing: All dialects are equal. I study languages and know a few linguists as my professors. Although it may be hard to accept, ebonics/African American English is no lesser than standard English. It is simply a different dialect. Objectively, it is no better or worse. But in society at large, there is a prejudice towards African American English.

It's great that both liberal and conservative members on here can share the same prejudices once in a while. Just awesome.

14. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

+1 Kinda.

I assume people know their is a legit reason for the job posting. Cant say it doesn't leave room for funny jabs.

My step mom took an unban studies class when she was an undergrad in the 70's and recently got certified as a Project Management Professional (pmp sounds like pimp) for a pharmaceuticals company.

Does that mean that she is a jive speaking drug dealer pimp.. Umm no but we love bringing it up :D

Hadnt thought about the symbols / tats,, good point

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Right, but you removed all traces of the black guys, who were probably there because of affirmative action anyway. Because, we all know black people don't deserve anything.YES THAT'S SOMETHING RESEMBLING SARCASM OR SATIRE!

16. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Werd

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Not a value judgement, but isn't Ebonics a creole?

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you would prefer that the Department of Justice remain in the dark about what's being said?

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It's been a while since I've posted, but after I read the OPs entirely misinformed opinion about what "most linguists" think, I had to log in to agree with you. None of my language professors would have said anything approaching what the OP suggested, but rather, would agree with what you said.

20. TheQuestion macrumors regular

Agreed. All languages have the equal potential to communicate. That being said, i don't think the issue at hand is really "superiority".