Do you leave emails in your inbox or religiously keep it clean by deleting old ones?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DramaLLama, Jul 26, 2013.

1. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

What the title says, do you guys leave your inbox as-is and just read the new stuff that comes in, or do you delete what you don't need right away?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I try to archive everything into folders when I've finished with it.

But I've got over 8000 in my InBox right now, dating back to 2005....:eek:

3. DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you use a client like Mail or Outlook or do you use webmail?

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I use Apple Mail, with two IMAP mail servers. So all those messages are also on the servers and could be accessed via web.

Archiving the email to a folder usually means removing it from the IMAP server and storing it locally on one of the clients (2 Macs, iPhone). But you can create folders in the IMAP structure that will sync to all devices and tidy stuff up that way. Don't know if that makes any difference in terms of "load", though.

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I used to be really bad at managing my email, but I adopted an inbox zero approach a couple of years ago and never looked back. I put together an article if you are interested.

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Who said they were badly managed? :p

I use a LOT of Mail's Smart Mailbox to organise my email. For instance, FaceBook notifications go into one Smart Mailbox. Then, I can easily select them all and delete them when they get too numerous.

In fact, I rarely look at my ACTUAL Inbox, as I have a Smart Mailbox Inbox that I use instead.
    That shows Sent and Received messages for everything that doesn't go into any of the other Smart boxes. I have Smart boxes for my Uni, orders from my webshop, PayPal, eBay, various forums and software companies that I talk to, etc, etc.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Until yesterday I had 10,000 emails sitting in my inbox :eek:

I decided to organize into subfolders just because it was too much of a headache managing that many emails in the inbox

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I doubt if there are ever more than a dozen e-mails in the Inbox. And this is an account used by two people!