Do you leave your MacBook unprotected (without case)? I love the exterior Silver color.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Emergo, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Emergo macrumors member

Hi guys. I was just wondering if most people here put cases on their MacBook? I love the silver and definitely don't want to cover the look. At the same time i hate scratches and dents. And has anyone dropped their MacBook?

If not a sleeve do you just put it in a sleeve? Right now I'm looking at the Inatek sleeve bag and I wonder if that's sufficient. Finding a good adapter seems like a task too, almost every third party one has low ratings. Yes, I've seen the link here for the accessories thread but browsed through it and didn't find anything. Thanks.

2. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I work my rMBP nude, the computer, not me. When not in use store it in Thule zipper sleeve.

3. deNileApple1 macrumors newbie

Does it scratch easily?

4. lightcolorsound macrumors newbie

I forgo case on both my iphone and macbook. I love it. I have a couple scuffs on the phone but they don't bother me. I kind of like how apple products "age." And when I traded it in it didn't decrease the value. They said only damage to the screen mattered.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2016 ---
    If you're in the market for a sleeve, I recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-MacBo...609011_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1461456070&sr=1-7

5. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

I run mine without any protection when in use......unhealthy I know. ;)
    Like you, I like the feel and looks of the nice silver exterior.

I use a sleeve when not in use or toting around.
    Incase 12" ICON Sleeve with Tensaerlite for MacBook

[​IMG]

6. kim2272 macrumors regular

kim2272

I have a sleeve for my rMBP but only use it if I am taking my computer out of the house. The computer looks perfect. No scratches or dents but I do handle it like a baby :p

7. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I use the simple Radtech sleeve for the rMB when I take it out of the house and put it in my bag. When actually using it, it's nekkid No scratches or dents

8. GioFerrara Suspended

A sleeve is the way to go. You can keep it naked, but protected during transportation. I hate cases on a laptop.

9. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I've had it almost 12 months without a scratch. Metal watch bands might be a menace, mine is leather.

10. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

The only thing I do is use a cover for the keyboard. My rMBP is otherwise completely naked, even during transportation. Nary a scratch. Once I take off the keyboard cover, even the keyboard looks new.

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Have only ever used a sleeve when travelling on every Mac portable I have owned, Retina MacBook is no different. My Mac`s have been, and are used to this day from literally the sub Arctic/Antarctic to the equator, no keyboard covers, no plastic cases, no skins, no garbage. I simply use my Mac`s as Apple intended and they have all held up extremely well.

I see no need to support secondary industries that for the most part are just producing needless product. The reality is MacBook`s are extremely durable, with the exception of being physically dropped, Mac`s hold up to normal wear & tear with ease save your $$$ and enjoy your Mac`s as intended.

Q-6

12. Stutterer macrumors member

Stutterer

I'm getting a Twelve South Bookbook for my rMB m7@256.

13. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

I sleeve all my laptops and with my rMB it's so thin and small I can use a sleeve even though I have a bag with papers, business cards etc. with me in the office. Might be a bit of double protection but would hate my pens or the zipper to scratch it and bought an awesome filt sleeve custom made on Etsy. Love it

14. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

I guess I will be the outlier. I dropped my 2015, dinged the crap out of the lid hinge. It didn't look horrible, but clearly a nice long gash in it. My 2016 is now in an incase case they sell at the store. Fits well and would have prevented my damage if I had it last year. I don't need anything fancy for adapters, so I picked a belkin one up on amazon for like 12 bucks.

15. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

I think I'd want this. I hate my keyboard becoming all greasy from my hands. Link?

16. Laurie65 macrumors member

I have a sleeve and a black computer bag which are only used if I'm taking my MacBook out of my house, which is extremely rare.

17. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I keep mine in a block of sealed lucite so nothing can touch it and i just look at it and admire it. I'm writing this using pencil and paper.

18. tonedrums macrumors member

tonedrums

I use Best Skin Ever on my 2015 RMB. Previously had a different skin on it but the look of the current skin makes it appear nude while having a nice matte finish. I am mostly concerned about scratches. I then put it in a sleeve when carrying around.

19. EgGKeith macrumors member

Since the mechine is that slim, So I gave it a very slim case as well.
    At least I feel better in that way...

20. tpr007 macrumors regular

tpr007

I have a sleeve for carrying it around, but when in use it has no protective case.

21. hroark7 macrumors newbie

I ended up getting Silver, enough though originally my heart was set on Space Grey.

Why?

I went to the Apple Store and for the 2015 models that have been around for awhile,
    they've been roughly handled day after day.

I noticed out of the three colours (Gold, Silver, Space Grey):

Space Grey: looking at the USB-C port, you can see a lot of wear and tear from the USB cable being inserted and removed. Scratches were easily visible, with the scratches being silver in color. Also if the Space Grey look really dirty easily.

Gold: a lot less wear and tear on the USB cable, scratches are less evident, Gold appears to be more durable.

Silver: could not see any wear and tear from USB cable, couldn't see evident scratches. Also silver always looked consistent, bright and matched whatever was on the screen.

In short, the Silver, while not as overtly sexy as the other colours, seemed to wear a lot better, be a lot more durable and dirt and scratches were far less evident if there at all.

So that was my thought process going into it.

Do I like the Space Grey? It depends, I find it changes a lot in colour depending on the light,
    Whereas the Silver is a consistent "colour".

PS: planning to get a sleeve for it and that's it, no case. My previous MacBook Pro 13" retina machines I didn't have a case and they were 100% fine cosmetically.

22. PsychicRutabaga macrumors member

PsychicRutabaga

I've always run my 2015 rMB naked. I do have an older, repurposed sleeve (Swiss Gear) that I slip it in when taking it out of the house. But that's the only time it is ever "clothed". Best laptop ever for traveling. I carried it in the sleeve in a string bag through various airports last week, so light I had to check periodically that it was still there.

23. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

Hmmm I've had my Space Grey for a while now and it looks brand new. Yes I do look out very much for my tech but it's stil in use a lot every single day