do you let strangers use your phone to make calls?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ceviche Lover, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

i take a train to work everday going thru some rough neighborhoods and maybe once every 3-4 months i get someone asking me to let them use my cell to make a personal call. i didnt mind letting them use it as it was a crappy phone(samsung epic 4g) and i never thought someone would want to steal it(thankfully no one has ever tried). today some dude asked me to let me borrow my phone(iphone 5) and i did but i was a little nervous. i even moved over towards the staircase in case he made a run for it. he did not and thanked me for letting him use the phone....

do you guys ever let people use your phone for calls? i dont think i am anymore as i dont have theft insurance, only applecare

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Tell them, "sorry, I am a germ-ofob, if it's an emergency I can call 9-1-1 for you."

3. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

You are a kind generous person. I wouldn't do that. I don't trust people I don't know.

4. Ayemerica macrumors 65816

Ayemerica

Yeah I let them use the phone. I just don't let them walk away from me.

5. numberforty1 macrumors 6502

numberforty1

Uhm, NO.
    I'd offer to call a cab for someone or something like that, but my cell is not a public pay phone for strangers.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Just tell them you're low on minutes. Works every time.

7. kannesss macrumors 6502a

If you don't have a cell phone is 20012, you're either a 4 year old or killer. Either way, don't touch my phone. :mad:

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

Hell no!!!! Dude sad to say but my friend was on a bus and was texting, some dude just walked over snatch her iPhone 4 and ran! I wouldn't let others use my phone. If they're having a heart attack ill call 911 for them.

9. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I have done that a few times. But if it seemed sketchy then I'd probably use the low minutes excuse.

10. PBz macrumors 68000

PBz

FWIW I'm from the South where everyone waves to everyone. I never "loan" my phone to a stranger & have been asked several times. Never.

11. pheenix11 macrumors regular

Last year at my parent's apartment complex I had my old iPhone 4S in one hand and was getting my 2 year old son's diaper bag out of the car with my other hand while my wife and I helped my son get out of the car in what is a very busy parking lot. Some whiny looking teenager comes over and asks if I have a phone he could borrow. More annoyed at the fact that he was interrupting us while we were trying to get our son safely in the house, I said no. Then he has the balls to say "realllllly" in this whiny effeminate voice like I friggin owe him something. So I looked at him with my iphone in my hand and with fire shooting out of my eyes and said "yeah REALLY, get lost".

Short answer: Hell no! WTF do I look like a public payphone?

12. darster Suspended

I'm not sure what this means.

13. pheenix11 macrumors regular

Could mean two things, if you don't have a cell phone in 2012 (year) or 20012 (Wash DC zip). Oddly, they both make sense.

14. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

That. And not always. I trust my gut.

15. MRX51 macrumors newbie

Hell no. Especially not on public transportation in a bigger city

16. omgitzv2 macrumors member

Good thing I didn't ask you people lol my iPhone 5 died yesterday so I had to ask a stranger if I could use their phone. I need another lighting cable for my car

17. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I have, this chick was standing around her car in the parking lot, waiting for someone/something. I was by my car waiting for the people in my car to get out. She comes over to ask if she could use my phone, I said "uh...sure" *hand over phone*, she dials and finishes calling the person. I'm still by my car, and she's by hers. I get a call, but I don't pick up. I see a car roll around hers, honks (not even sure if the guy knew her), she goes to his window and exchange a few words then gets in her car and follows him.

I had the worst feeling ever...as if I helped her cheat on someone because I saw her on her phone afterwards :confused:

18. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I do it by the way they look. If they look sweet and innocent I might, if they look like the kind of person to make a break for it I just say no.

19. brdwygurl macrumors regular

Looks can be deceiving.

I wouldn't let someone use my phone, but I would offer to make a call for them. I have been stuck and dependent on the kindness of strangers a few times so I sympathize that stuff happens.

I figure if it is an emergency and they need a ride or to let someone know where they are, they won't mind me making the call. On the other hand if it's something shady they probably won't ask me to call.

20. hachiman, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

hachiman macrumors regular

I wouldn't let them use my phone unless it's an obvious emergency, such as a car accident, then it's perfectly fine to let them use it to call home. But these days, there is no reason to drive without a cellphone, at least a prepaid if money is insufficient.

You may not think of it, but they could do something really stupid by making a phone call to someone and you end up in trouble because your phone is linked to you and your information. Extreme example: They use the call to confirm the deal or to make a hit while you think they're just checking up on their cousin.

If they need to call a cab, you can offer to dial by looking up a local cab company and call one for them. When they dial a number, you really don't know who they're calling and the call recipient has your phone number and call log.

Otherwise, they can go to a nearby payphone and call collect. If you own a business, same thing, don't let them come in and ask to make a free call, unless they need a cab or an emergency, then you can look up and call for them. Your business has a lot more to lose.

21. Bishwasher macrumors regular

I'd never let anyone I don't know really well even touch my iPhone 5 not to mention use it to make calls...sheesh talk about paranoid:rolleyes:

22. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

Tell them either:

Your almost out of battery soon (due to LTE :))

or

Your expecting an important phone call.

23. ThatsMeRight, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Depends on what kind of an impression the person makes. But if someone asks if he or she can make a quick call, it's usually no problem.

I trust my instinct.

Also, I'm quite fast and if someone dears to even run away with the device (or any other (expensive?) personal object) he can expect a tackle from behind.