Do you like the trend of increasing screen size on smart phones?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by east85, Jul 21, 2012.

?

Do you like the trend of increasing screen size on smart phones?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    55.8%
  1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I came across an interesting blog relating to this very subject by way of Slashdot and I'm absolutely enthused about the prospects this has been brought up. I have found myself at times in the past pondering this same exact debacle concerning the consumer and the manufacturer. If you haven't had the pleasure of reading this article I would really encourage you to giving it a chance.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/375820/dont-super-size-my-smartphone

This is especially applicable to the MacRumors community in that it relates directly with the rumors that have been produced concerning more surface space on the upcoming iPhone 5. I'd be curious as to your thoughts on this matter if you feel like sharing.

Towards the end of the article you will notice a compelling argument against the trend of making phones much more "thin" within the business, and the sacrifice that comes with it. I personally feel that a happy medium has yet to be reached by most manufacturers in terms of battery life. Many of us have long forgotten the days of old, when our flip phones would last us days, not hours. The author I think makes a solid point, but I'm not quite sure about the study he cites.

Do you think manufacturers are in line with what consumers want on this particular issue? Imagine what the battery life would be like if we were still carrying around an iPhone 3GS form factor, with all new technology.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I tried a friend's Galaxy S3. It is an awesome phone and the screen is amazing - much bigger than iPhone but with the same feeling of being unable to see the pixels, so it looks very sharp.

However, with the phone in one hand, I tried sliding down the notification drawer. I couldn't reach it with my thumb. In fact, I couldn't reach lots of things at the top of the screen, meaning I had to adjust how I was holding it depending on what part of the screen I wanted to touch.

It seems quite awkward, and surely a way that many will drop their phones.

3. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I think my iPhone 4 is a bit too small, but the Galaxy Note is too big. The sweet spot is somewhere in between that, for me. The S2/S3 size seems pretty good to me, and I do want an S3 when I upgrade (if I upgrade this year).

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I voted yes, but within reason...I have no desire to be carrying around an iPad sized iPhone. Having said that, I won't be buying the 5 or whatever Apple call it UNLESS the screen is larger...."The Campaign For A software Home Button"...

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

No. Even a 4" screen makes more phone than I want to carry in my pocket.

6. cube macrumors G5

Only while they fit in a standard shirt pocket.

So, the current Galaxy Note is still fine.

7. malman89 macrumors 68000

My 3.2" screen is a tad small, but I'm not sure if I'd want anything above 4". I don't want a massive or super wide phone. Kind of defeats the purpose to me.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Trend? Do you really think they're going to get increasingly larger from this point?

I have enjoyed the trend because it gave people options. Not everyone is small, or has small hands. Or big hands, for that matter. Now there are lots of options. I have a Galaxy S2 with a 4.3" screen, and I think a 4.3" to 4.6" screen would be perfect. When I look at 3.5" or 4" screens, they look too small, while a Galaxy S3 looks too big, even though it's perfectly usable to me, and looks incredible.

However, I wouldn't enjoy the trend continuing from here, as it wouldn't make any sense. Today, you can smartphones with screens ranging from 3.2" (AFAIK), up to 5.3".

9. Tinyluph macrumors regular

No. My hands are very small. I am not opposed to the iPhone getting a bigger screen but I've seen phones like the GSIII in person and it's just not in my interest.

10. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

There's a reason why if the rumors are true, Apple increased the height of the next-generation iPhone so while you have a 4" screen, it retained the width of the current iPhone so most operations can be done with one hand.

11. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

I would prefer a larger sized interactive display but I would prefer it not be part of the hardware. A small device that could project interactive holograms or a pair of glasses with an interactive HUD type interface would be cool. Bigger phones are a bit cumbersome and not especially pocket friendly.

12. smoledman macrumors 68000

I wish my L900 was 4" instead of 4.3", it feels too big.

13. Jb07 macrumors 6502

Sure, but past 5" and then the phone becomes unwieldy.

14. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I think 4 inches would be the maximum I'd be comfortable with.

But I also welcome choice and think it's a good thing there are many options to choose from.

15. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I recently upgraded my personal phone to a Galaxy S3, I gotta say, it pretty much rapes my work iPhone 4S in well...everything.

I think the iPhone would benefit from a much larger screen, 4.3 inch? Hell yeah. It takes some getting used to, but its so much nicer.

16. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

The current iPhone screen is too small IMO. I'd say 4 or 4 1/2 inches would be the max for a phone.

17. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I wouldn't mind a larger size phone, if it could be made unbreakable. The case makes the phone bulky, but is a necessity now.

18. Dagless Suspended

Dagless

The iPhone 4S is the perfect size for me. I wouldn't want anything bigger.

19. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I think it depends on your hand size & the aspect ratio. There's a difference between making it bigger in one direction (IE just width or just height) and bigger in both.

20. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I want an iPad with cell phone functionality. It would be easy to read and faster to text and email.

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I love my 4.7" Titan. I probably wouldn't go bigger (4.8 could work depending on bezel size). It's more than just screen size though. The size of the phone itself, as well as the UI layout play a huge role. If my Titan used an iOS layout I doubt it would be as pleasant because it would require my finger to dart all over the display to operate it. With WP it works though because the controls are all at the bottom of the screen.

So to sum up, I love phones with large screens, but they need to be done correctly (with some thought put into the button layout).

23. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Liking the responses so far, the iPhone could totally be offered in more than one size I think.

People people will say " oh its already the correct size for everyone "

but using that logic, seats and streeing wheels on a car shouldnt be adjustable

24. davedee65 macrumors regular

davedee65

To be honest my iPhone 4 is the best phone I've ever used. Size, weight, construction and design are all perfect for what I use it for which is as a phone with some nice add-ons. I don't want or need a small tablet that has phone capabilities! It just does what it's supposed to.

In fact I'm so happy with it's current form factor that when my contract expired last week I upgraded to a 4S rather than wait for the new one!

D

25. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I feel 4inch would be a good size, however it should be left there, and screen size estate should then be managed within the OS.