macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2004
Phoenix AZ
Tell us.
1. Do you like your music LOUD
2. What's the song(s) you like to play loudest
3. What speakers you use

For me. Hmm. Oh yes I do. It'd have to be right now Yahel - Tribal Maker, and I use Logitech Z640s and I blew out my subwoofer so I'm looking for speakers that can handle my bass. I like that song, but all time favorite could be DJ Tiesto - Traffic. Awesome stuff.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I have Cambridge Soundworks Creative Stereo speakers. Prefer the sound to be in the moderate range. Most of my music is classic, motion picture sound tracks, and some such as Frank Sinatra.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
I like rock, and the pre-requisite for listing to rock is for it to be LOUD. I mean, security comes over loud. I'm not sure what kind of speakers I have, but it has surround sound... and the bass drives my neighbor nuts. :p

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
1. Depends on the band... sometimes yes, sometimes no.
2. The songs I play the loudest would probably be something by O.A.R. (Of A Revolution)
3. I have my computer plugged into a Panasonic sterio that i bought, 6-7 years ago... sounds wonderful.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Generally, I want my music to fill the room. And on occasion (a.k.a. when the 'rents aren't home ;)) I'll turn it up quite a bit when something that begs for it comes on. Like For Whom the Bell Tolls :D

DanTekGeek

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Denver, CO
i enjoy full sound, sound that covers up everything else, but i value my hearing. when i want something loud, i use my good sony hifi headphones.

oreo

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2004
Kent, UK
Yes
I listen to just about anything & it has to loud
If it's late I'll put my headphones on but during the day I've got my stereo pluggin into my computer

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I hate listening to music too loudly. It takes away from the music IMO. As long as I can hear everything I'm fine.

scem0

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
I managed the other week to blow my 2nd set of KEF 35's demoing my Star Wars Spec Ed LD to my mate.

Can't get any bass out of one the speakers so its im going to have to cough up for a repair which may cost £££.

So, to answer your question.

Yes!!!!

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Will Curran said:
Generally.
You have to play most orchestral music rather loud to pick out the finer details... Dvorak's New World symphony is awesome on higher settings; though I don't discriminate. Skinny Puppy is good too...
3. What speakers you use
Attached to the PC are some wonderful THX-certified Altec Lansing ADA885s. I've not heard any other computer speakers that come close.

Downstairs, where the real fun is, I have my Yamaha DSP-AX620 amp, some Mission 772s, (when I get around to setting them up) some Mordaunt-Short rears, and a lovely Celestion centre - full-on well balanced.

Side, shouldn't this be moved to General Music?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Will Curran said:
Yes, but it depends on the song/type of music.

Will Curran said:
What's the song(s) you like to play loudest
When I wanted to crank it:
The Happiest Days Of Our Lives/
Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 (Pink Floyd)
Foreplay Long Time (Boston)
Starbright/
On the line (Lee Ritenour)
Xanadu (Rush)
1812 Overature
Can't Touch This (MC Hammer)
Let the Music Play (Shannon)
1999 (Prince)
1984-Jump (Van Halen) (Great to work on Kata's)
Cruel Summer (Bananarama)
Caribbean Queen (Billy Ocean)

Will Curran said:
What speakers you use
Before I moved to Japan, Bose 901s driven by Carver Pro Amp. If memory serves I could pump out (into 8 ohm loads) 450 continuous watts per channel. Long term short term peak was 600 watts per channel. Short term short term peak was 730 watts per channel.

I think that I could strap it mono at 1,200 continous watts.

Additionally, I had a Pioneer Pro Amp for another 150 watts continuous that I would put in parallel driving some Bose AM-5 speakers. When I cranked this system, most thought it was the Carver/Bose 901s until I turned them on.

Wicked system. I could induce pain! :D :D :D

Sushi

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
Blue Velvet said:
If it's drum & bass, then it has to be loud.
you're my boy..! ;)

1. Do you like it loud???
- you bet'cha!

2. Song to play loud???
- either Dom & Roland - "Can't Punish Me", "Thunder" or "Trauma"

3. Speakers???
- Yamaha Stereo System

vSpacken

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
combatcolin said:
I managed the other week to blow my 2nd set of KEF 35's demoing my Star Wars Spec Ed LD to my mate.

Can't get any bass out of one the speakers so its im going to have to cough up for a repair which may cost £££.
I had a buddy of mine that roomed with me during flight school in the early 80's. We were both EEs so we like to dable in electronic stuff. His passion was speakers. He custom designed his speakers with the SIRE program.

When he got tired of his current speakers, and wanted to upgrade he would blow his old ones. On a side note, I always get a chuckle when I watch "Back to the Future" when Michael J. Fox blows that one huge speaker. My buddy would launch his coils with 700 watt bursts. Really cool...and expensive. Fun to watch! :D

Sushi

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
vollspacken said:
you're my boy..! ;)
Girly-girl, actually :)
A rare type on these boards.

Goldie's 'Timeless' -- must be loud.
Fabio, Grooverider... even Lamb or Omni Trio...

Give me a break-beat and I'll have happy shoes!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Blue Velvet said:
If it's drum & bass, then it has to be loud.

But if I'm chilling then not.
I am with you on the first part.

It depends on the second. But for the most part agree.

So much of the 70's Rock and Roll and 80's disco era stuff needed to be cranked!

That is not to say that today there isn't good stuff to crank as well.

I miss my old system.

But could never use it in Japan where you can hear your neighbor cough!

Sushi

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
irmongoose said:
Interesting you say that... because I DON'T CARE! RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, FULL BLAST, HERE I COME!

:D

(And, yes, I can hear my neighbor cough.)
I don't think you quite understand the power of my old system.

In a 6 tatami room, at 20 watts continuous you would have more sound that you would need or probably want. At 30-40 watts continuous, it would start to become a nusance and people's faces would grimace a bit from the sound.

Note, I am not talking about peak watts, but continuous watts at a level well over 20 times 40 watts! I could back an audience up with my system when I did a little DJing for my organization. To put it another way, I spoofed pilots into thinking that a jet transport plane was going to crash nearby using a digital sound effects CD that I had.

So no, I would never crank that system up if I had it over here.

Sushi

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Music needs some level of volume.

I run KEF 105.4 reference monitiors powered by a pair of Quad 405's strapped into mono, with a Quad pre.

The speakers are spiked into a stack of concrete slabs which extend through the floor-boards of my living room into the concrete foundations under the house. This stops the bass resonating the hollow chamber under the room and tightens the bass immensely. I can run this loud enough to vibrate small objects off of my neighbours shelves, but very rarely run it that loud... :eek:

Our houses are 1930's builds and are very solid, I can run at a good level without bothering next door.

In the studio I tend to monitor very quietly for the most part to protect my hearing in long sessions, around 85db, but always run around 120db for checking mix balances.

Current loud favourites: Audioslave/Soundgarden/Rush/Zep.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Will Curran said:
Tell us.
3. What speakers you use
as a musician i had a marshall 100 watt half stack ( www.marshallamps.com ) in my kitchen, 4 x 12" jackson speakers in straight cabinet...big noise indeed

too loud for stereo, though...but i knew a guy who had a similar setup, marshall amp, four speaker marshall cabinet, and rigged up in his truck for all to see and he blasted rap from it...more highs and mids but not a great bass end response

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
WinterMute said:
I run KEF 105.4 reference monitiors powered by a pair of Quad 405's strapped into mono, with a Quad pre.
Yum.
I so want some KEFs...

Can't do the concrete slabs though :)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Yes!
Sometimes I just gets a kick and have to pick up my guitar and jam along with ex.led zeppelin on my stereo. All turned up max..

Gets pretty loud with both my guitar amp (MusicMan 210) and my stereo (a nice mixture between NAD/Band&Olufson/Sony/JVC with homebulit speakers with 2x10"/6"/1" elements in each speaker..)