do you like your nationality?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by NewGenAdam, Jun 2, 2009.

?

fond of your country and nationality?

1. love it

68 vote(s)
    55.7%
  2. like it

29 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. bear it

20 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. hate it

5 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

So, do you like your nationality, and your country?
    Or perhaps you've been playing with the prospect of emigration...

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I like my nationality and my country, but I still want to emigrate - simply for the fact that I want to experience something new.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I personally do not hold too much value in my country of birth (or anyone else's) and would be more than willing to live in another country should needs must and it is something I may end up doing anyway.

As to whether or not I like it, I have been fortunate enough to live in a country and with parents that has meant I could lead a perfectly happy childhood and life so yes I do like it.

4. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm a liker too. But I'm attracted to the prospect of the new, perhaps somewhere like Japan. However I'm not sure the reality so easily would work!

5. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I love a lot of things about my culture but don't actually want to live in the country at present. Slightly ironic.

There was an old saying during the days of empire...

"Love Britain, would die for Britain, just don't actually want to live in Britain"

I would suspect that most people would be happy with their nationality and culture. It is all most of us have ever known. I don't think it is a problem either, as long as one doesn't start believing that one is superior as a result. That is how wars begin... and it usually isn't true anyway. :p

I've been living in Japan for 6 years. It is a totally different over here and can be a lot of fun. Also drives you crazy at times though. ;)

Will eventually be moving back though.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I am proud to be british, but not exactly proud of Britain at the moment. Won't say any more for fear of pushing this thread into the PRSI forum :D

7. eftrix macrumors member

Irish an proud but i still want the opportunities of America!

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I didn't vote on this because it's too limiting.

I'm dual nationality being British and Italian. Brought up in England, I have a connection with my town but when I visit Italy to see my family, it feels more like home.

I don't hate or bare living in the UK. I do enjoy it. I just think our government is a complete mess. *sigh* Oh well.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course, I'm proud to be an American, and love my country.

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I like mine just fine. It's yours I have a problem with, and that one next to you, too. :p

11. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

So gaijin can survive long term in the land of the rising sun? I'm impressed and pleased ^^

Are there any lovers who aren't American? Patriotism FTW =)

Sorry, it's hard to predict the more complicated situations such as yours!
    Interesting to hear about it though; strange that you feel at home away from where you were brought up.

Although I have family in Sweden, and visiting them in holidays, despite not speaking the language or knowing the county, really feels like a homecoming =)

12. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

^^
    Always a good start ;)

I'm quite happy living here on the east coast of Australia away from the big Cities. Now excuse me while I have some Vegemite on toast.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

14. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Love Scotland and am quite happy with my culture and heritage but i do not wish to spend the rest of my life here, it is a very cold place with little fun stuff for people my age to do.
    I want to meet people at a coffee shop, go to the theater and cinema. Its rather hard to do being away from the city and weather is so prohibitive.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I love it. But I'm also keen on my grandfathers nationality too and can't wait to show my girlfriend where 1/4 of my family comes from :). I feel a strong connection there, I don't speak the language at all and I dislike the food but there's just something pulling me back there. Our place in England is like our place in Poland too. Set alongside a mountainous backbone, full of fields and lush green environments. Oh and many local nutters.

But I'd also love to move to the US, mainland Europe or one of the colder Asian countries for a bit. I wouldn't mind being a 'Brit' out there, I'm not the hooligan drunk sort I can assure you, heh.

16. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I like the US just fine, but someday I'd like to live somewhere else- Canada or Europe. I just have to find out who has the most lax censorship laws. I'm still not entirely clear on the laws from country to country.

18. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I love my nationality, being North American, but sometimes this country makes me a little queesy. I'd love to travel the world, and I wouldn't mind emigrating to Sicily. :) North America is fine and all, and i'm sure the problems here are found everywhere else, but it couldn't hurt to at least try and find somewhere else to live.

19. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I resent the way other people view my country, both from the outside and inside. I believe I live in a single country called the United Kingdom, but far too many others (even in this topic!) are keen to reduce this to something less.

I hate it when people are asked what country they are from and they reply "England" or "Scotland" because no one alive today was ever part of these areas when they were independent. They were born in the United Kingdom, why not respect that?

I can only imagine what it must be like to live in a country like France, Norway or Denmark where the country's identity is the only identity.

20. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I'm with ergdegdeg. I like my nationality (Indian) but I would, if not emigrate, atleast like to live and work in other countries for a few years at a time.

Uhhh, wait a minute, I'm doing just that. :D

Also agree with the poster upthread who said that nationalism is dangerous. Albert Einstein once said: Nationalism is an infantile disease. I'm inclined to agree. (Runs and hides before I get arrested and incarcerated in the PRSI jail)

21. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

I agree totally with you. Generally people who identify themselves as English are more likely to say they are British. Whereas many Scots, Welsh and Irish are more likely to assert their nationality because they feel in a minority.

As I am a mixture of English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh, having grandparents from each of the four regions it would be somewhat silly for me to assert any over the other. I am British.

And as someone else mentioned earlier, nationalism can be a very dangerous thing. One should tread very carefully. The more I travel and live in different countries, (55 travelled to and 4 lived in and counting), the less important it becomes. Those who most assert themselves I would suspect are also those who have travelled the least.

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Very insightful. I, too, believe there is a correlation.

23. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Add an option for "I don't care."

I was born in the US, my mum is American and my dad is still an Australian citizen.

I could care less... no offense to those that love their country and no disrespect to the US. I'll make do wherever I happen to be.

24. djellison macrumors 68020

Not a huge fan of the UK to be honest. The place - the landscapes...second to none. The government, the collective 'ahh...f-it' mentality of the population, the chavs, the fact that this country cares more about a women that can't sing than a governement that can't govern.

Emigration has been a serious consideration for some time. If money were not an issue - it would have happened some time ago.